Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taking a instrument

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ratt View Post
    That's all great info, if you're indeed flying Delta. Otherwise, use your computer and get in touch with the airline.

First off, I DID originally explain to the OP that they SHOULD indeed check with their OWN airline.

Secondly, when this post

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    I thought carry-ons needed to fit into the rectangular boxes you see near the check-in counters. Something as big as a guitar should go as checked luggage.
    was made, I posted the Delta information as an EXAMPLE that MANY airlines specify on their websites instructions for flying with musical instruments and that they DID NOT necessarily have to fit within the carry on luggage size requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    Wouldn't a guitar pretty much take an entire compartment in an overhead bin? These days it hard enough to find available space because people bring such large carry-on bags.

I don't know about other airlines but Delta now allows passengers to PURCHASE a Zone 1 boarding assignment which would enable them to board earlier than many other passengers and obtain an EMPTY overhead bin for their instrument.

Otherwise, there is also on Delta, "other approved storage location in the cabin"

Think of all the brides who board with their wedding dresses hoping/praying that their gowns will receive a much coveted spot in the first class hanging closet.

I am NOT looking for an argument here , I am simply trying to show to the OP that there ARE options OTHER than checking the coveted instrument as luggage.

Been there done that. Dd owns a $2000 saxophone and has wanted to travel with it by air. In the end we chose not to because of the hassle. I was simply trying to share information I found in my research which helped us make our decision.

To each their own. PEACE.

I have travelled with my guitar(s) pre and after 9/11 and for some reason, I have not had the nightmare of problems I read here. This is how I do it.
    I check my reservation to see what aircraft I will be flying and what the configuration is. I then call the airlines and tell them I have a guitar in a travel "GIG" bag and want to put it in the Coat Closet. Normally they confirm an OK right away. I ask for an e-mail confirmation that includes my reservation confirmation number. When I go to the airport, I show the mail confirmation and that is about it. Once inside the plane, I put it into the back of the coat closet. If you are lucky, the stewardess will put it in their closet. I have flown with my Martin, varied Fenders, Ibanez's Marama Clasico and some beat up Epiphones and only had one problem in Miami when an overzealous idiot decided to check my Les Paul neck plate and screwed it back wrong. It happens..

The above said, if she is a student, she is probably playing a 3/4 acoustic. If she can, she should try to not deviate. If she does not want to bring her own down and can handle a standard acoustic, I can help for a limited time. Please PM me if you need help.
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Charles
    thank you so much for your help and offer. I will call the airlines we are flying Delta down and Airtrain back home, and ask them about the closet like you said and confirmation. I will let you know what they say. She does play a acoustic. Dolores

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    Charles
    thank you so much for your help and offer. I will call the airlines we are flying Delta down and Airtrain back home, and ask them about the closet like you said and confirmation. I will let you know what they say. She does play a acoustic. Dolores
    So Delta said we would have to wait until we arrive at the gate to see if they have room for her guitar. They could not give me a confirmation. AirTran for on the way home said we would have to check it in no matter what. They said I could bring it to the gate and check it in there so it can be placed after the other luggage. So hopefully it goes well, just glad to be leaving in just under 3 weeks! Dolores

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12