Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Ciboney
  • 4 Post By Traceyd14

Thread: "that's my spot"

Aruba since 1979

"that's my spot"

If you are visiting during "carnaval grand parade" and plan on watching, where do you stand/sit to watch the parade?

We love going to San Nicholas on Saturday for the parade. It is a little bit shorter than the big one on Sunday. Also, can get your pictures taken in the street, & I think it's friendlier!

Holiday Inn lobby bar watching on tv, and yes I'm serious. Our first trip we didn't realize it was Carnival. I get anxiety in crowds and hadn't planned anything ahead of time. We talked to lots of people for ideas but decided not to head downtown having never been down there before and having no idea where to find shade or seats. It turned out to be a great experience. We sat at the bar and watched with the bartender who was a native Aruban. He told us stories of all the fun times he had with his family at the parade and explained a lot about culture and costumes and traditions. It was like having our own private tour guide. Later we went to Moomba and got to see some beauti ful costumes up close and it was a party!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We've been in Aruba for the past six years during Carnival. The first year, we went downtown to see it. We arrived in the early afternoon and stood in the throngs of people in front of Cilo, by the docks at the Renaissance. We waited in the hot sun for four hours. Many people who had set up camp were drinking the entire time. There were huge speakers set up along the streets blasting (and I mean BLASTING) hip hop music the entire time. After four hours, we gave up and went back to the resort. We heard the parade going through town much later, while we were eating dinner at Mulligan's, at Divi. We spoke to many locals who told us that they used to go to the parade, but quit going, due to all of the drinking and rowdiness. They don't want their families around that. We've never tried to go again. As Tracey stated, the local stations broadcast it on the tv for days. We see a lot of the parades on the tv while we are there. I don't know of anyone at our resort who goes to the parade. The beach stays full, so it isn't enough to notice anyone gone. Most of the tourists that I've talked to say that they don't go. We do have some Carnival activities at Costa Linda. Some of the dancers come over in their incredible costumes to dance and entertain everyone. I'm sure that many people enjoy the parade, but it is not our thing.

Aruba since 1979
    we have been in aruba a couple of times during the grand parade and never left the pool or the beach.
    we thought about it.
    we were invitied to spend time with friends who had a whole viewing stand not too far from west deck.
    we just did not want to battle the crowds and be stuck in the hot sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    We've been in Aruba for the past six years during Carnival. The first year, we went downtown to see it. We arrived in the early afternoon and stood in the throngs of people in front of Cilo, by the docks at the Renaissance. We waited in the hot sun for four hours. Many people who had set up camp were drinking the entire time. There were huge speakers set up along the streets blasting (and I mean BLASTING) hip hop music the entire time. After four hours, we gave up and went back to the resort. We heard the parade going through town much later, while we were eating dinner at Mulligan's, at Divi. We spoke to many locals who told us that they used to go to the parade, but quit going, due to all of the drinking and rowdiness. They don't want their families around that. We've never tried to go again. As Tracey stated, the local stations broadcast it on the tv for days. We see a lot of the parades on the tv while we are there. I don't know of anyone at our resort who goes to the parade. The beach stays full, so it isn't enough to notice anyone gone. Most of the tourists that I've talked to say that they don't go. We do have some Carnival activities at Costa Linda. Some of the dancers come over in their incredible costumes to dance and entertain everyone. I'm sure that many people enjoy the parade, but it is not our thing.

Maybe someday we'll make it there during Carnival. Just hasn't happened yet.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ