Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kemperato
  • 1 Post By Jacki

Thread: Is there petty theft at beaches and resorts

Is there petty theft at beaches and resorts

Hi, again! I've been asking a lot of questions, and you guys have been very helpful.

In the excitement of planning our honeymoon, I forgot to look into petty theft on the beaches and resort pools.

It's a little too last minute for my husband and i to buy an anti theft bag (or similar), and in all honesty, we most likely would never use it after we leave Aruba.

I'd love to document our honeymoon, especially at the beach, but I'm worried that our stuff will get stolen.

Does anyone know if we can rent something to keep a few items secure while at the beach (iPod/cell for photos, little bit of cash, sunscreen, hat)? We are staying at the Riu Antillas, and I've already emailed them asking the same, but I'm guessing it will take a few days for them to get back to me.

Congrats on your marriage. You've picked a great place for your honeymoon. Aruba is a mostly safe destination and Theft isn't highly prevalent; however it does happen from time to time. We do bring all of the same items you mentioned to the beach and pool. For years we just brought a small bungee cord and wrapped it around the bag and palapa pole. Of course this is not as safe as a locked bag, but believe it is enough to deter a thief as when those instances happen they are generally looking for items they can grab and go. Enjoy your special day!

Thank you! One of the reasons we chose Aruba was because of how safe it is compared to other islands.

Aruba since 1979
    kemperato is 100% correct

the whole intent is to prevent snatch, grab, run.
    using a bungee will make it too time consuming for a thief.

wishing you an awesome honeymoon.

we do the same and have never had a problem. bungee to lounge chair and/or palapa. Usually we take lounge chairs close to the ocean and are never too far away from the chairs anyway...but it is always better to be safe !!!
    congrats on your marriage and have a great honeymoon !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by fieldg View Post
    Hi, again! I've been asking a lot of questions, and you guys have been very helpful.

In the excitement of planning our honeymoon, I forgot to look into petty theft on the beaches and resort pools.

It's a little too last minute for my husband and i to buy an anti theft bag (or similar), and in all honesty, we most likely would never use it after we leave Aruba.

I'd love to document our honeymoon, especially at the beach, but I'm worried that our stuff will get stolen.

Does anyone know if we can rent something to keep a few items secure while at the beach (iPod/cell for photos, little bit of cash, sunscreen, hat)? We are staying at the Riu Antillas, and I've already emailed them asking the same, but I'm guessing it will take a few days for them to get back to me.
    I took one of those waterproof phone bags that goes over you head like a necklace, if you get one a bit bigger than your phone you can fit money in it too, and best of all you can swim with it, but buy a good one and test it first with something other than your phone, as for sun tan lotion, I doubt that would go missing.

Have a lovely honeymoon .. I wish you all the best

Quote Originally Posted by fieldg View Post

Here's where I got mine from brilliant it was ... http://www.over-board.co.uk/waterpro...one-cases.html

We picked up a Vacation Vault at Home Depot and use that for the small important items. http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...5yc1vZc2dsZ67k

Not sure if they are available in store now - they likely have Xmas decorations out!

I also bring a big bag with snacks & drinks & books, etc. We have never had problem in all the years we've left our belongings at the pool or beach while in the water.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Is there petty theft at beaches and resorts-murse.jpgI usually carry this as a carry on and then on the beach. Enough room for the essentials. Use a small bungie to tie around chair or bottom of palapa. Can lock zippers with a small luggage lock if need be. My wife calls it my man bag or "Murse". Nice to carry when going on excursions off property also. Had it for about 15 years so it has gotten it's use and travelled well.
    Available here.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CE11W4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_ajtgyb8DSH0EC