Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Tipping

Hi,

First time travelling to aruba for our honeymoon. We're travelling from the uk on the 4th August and stopping in the Occidental Grand Aruba for 2 weeks.

My question is whats the general procedure for tipping, like how much do you tip the barman ? Do you tip everytime you get a drink etc ? How much do you tip for people taking your cases to your room ? Is there any other instances where you tip ?

May seem like silly questions, sorry, but this our first time on an all inclusive holiday in these type of resorts.

Many Thanks,

Tom

These are my PERSONAL guidelines for tipping at an AI. I know there are some people who dont believe in Tipping at an AI, because tips are allegedly included but I'd be willing to bet not much of the money you pay to the hotel trickles down to the hard-working people.

Baggage handler/bellboy: $2-3. If you are two people and have 3-4 bags perhaps $3-4 (all$ quoted in USD).

Maid/per day (not at end of stay); $2-3/day
    If someone refills the mini-bar/refrigerator at my specific request I will give $1.

Breakfast: usually just $1
    Lunch: If I do strictly buffet usually not, otherwise $2
    Dinner: $3-5 depending on service, but there are times I've left nothing.

Service around the pool: $1 every few drinks
    If someone saves me a chair every day (happened in mexico) $1/day plus a gift at the end

Bars: Usually $1 first drink and thereafter every 2-3 drinks another $1. If I become very friendly with a bartender and he remembers what I want I may give $5 every couple of days.

Those are the basics for me...........if a concierge went out of his/her way for me, I would give something..............

At some hotels tips may be "pooled" that is, put in a pot and split among the bartenders, waitstaff etc. So I try to pass the $$ very discretely especially at dinner when there is usually a Captain in the dining room.

I hope this is what you wanted. Im sure others may have different guidelines.

In the total scheme of what you've paid for a vacation....well for me personally it amounts to about another $100-120 per 8 days and that isnt gonna break the bank.

Thats was just what i was after, many thanks

Anybody else feel free to post there advice

We have tried an "experiment" at the Tamarijn All Inclusive during our past two visits with very very mixed results. Our dd was having difficulty getting served so first thing in the a.m. I drag her to the bar handing the bartender a $5 bill and stating in a friendly joking sort of way, "the kid is with me".

After two visits, dh and I have come to the conclusion that some of the bartenders, irregardless of how much we tip , will never understand that receiving a "TIP" means "to insure prompt" service.

Karen offered excellent guidelines for all tipping.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 07-16-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Tom have a terrific trip!

Any ideas on tipping at non ai locations?

Here are some previous threads. Let us know if they do not cover specifically who you are looking to tip.

Tipping

Tipping Question

Tipping in Aruba is strange because of the "15%" service charge added at many restaurants and hotels, but not all. If this 15% is on the bill, I usually tip nothing more unless I know the waiter/bartender or something above and beyond was done.

In a place that does not include the service charge I will tip according to the performance, but rarely more than 15%. Tipping has gotten out of hand in the US, to the point where it is "expected" for below average service and at rates exceeding 20%.

Cabs in Aruba, I tip very little, maybe $1, because the rates are fixed and keep the drivers in luxury SUV's and sedans.

Enjoy your stay.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Well, Karen certainly gave suggestions which are excellent. Also, Arubalisa always has splendid advice on many subjects; and I would suggest that you go to her "Tipping" and "Tipping Questions," for sound reliable answers to your questions as well.

Also, Arubalisa is an excellent source to answer all your questions regarding Aruba.
    Last edited by Edronenburg; 07-18-2008 at 11:01 AM.

I could get hang for this. But I just don't like to see hard working people exploited. I'll be investigating this more profound. It is said that the 18% service charge is distributed amongst all the staff. This seems not to be the case.

As I've said this is currently under investigation.

Bryan Morris

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I am from the old school. I tip 20%. If 15% is added to the tab, then 5% unless of course the service is really bad. Bartenders, always a dollar a drink, especially at the tables. By the 3rd day, they know your drinks when they come to the table, lol, or slots (at least at the Hyatt they do). I know way too many people who depend on tips. Even if i'm not sure they'll get it, i give it anyway. I can't answer for AI as I've never stayed at one so I have to defer to people who do on that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast