Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Tipping for housekeepers

I would love to personally hand something to the housekeeper, but honestly, I'm not in the room long enough to see anyone. It's a very very rare occasion that I catch someone in my room.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I would love to personally hand something to the housekeeper, but honestly, I'm not in the room long enough to see anyone. It's a very very rare occasion that I catch someone in my room.
    At timeshares usually the housekeeper work check-out days of the units they are assigned to. Between going in/out of my unit packing up the car I always find my housekeeping going in/out of another unit to clean. Or I just ask another housekeeper where Kenny (she) is.

The reason I now personally hand the tip is because years ago at my timeshare while my husband was checking out I was sitting in the car and watched someone going into my unit. I think she may have been the housekeeping supervisor checking to see if we checked out and if the unit was ready to be cleaned. I don't like to think anyone is dishonest but I got a funny feeling. When she left she left the door ajar. Anyone could just walk in just as I do when I walk in someone else's unit to find my housekeeper is inside.

When staying at a hotel, when I go down to the beach/pool I usually find the housekeepers starting the day. If not, I usually go back to my room for some reason during the day and find her then. If I'm staying at the Renaissance and on the private island, no way I am going back to the room to personally hand the housekeeper her tip.

I agree with you about supervisor or other employee taking the tips.. I saw one go into the rooms and take the envelopes out...
    Did report it and the hotel manager was looking into it.. sad. Some of the housekeepers get pay by the rooms plus tips.
    We usually try to give the tips to the gals... but sometimes we never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    At timeshares usually the housekeeper work check-out days of the units they are assigned to. Between going in/out of my unit packing up the car I always find my housekeeping going in/out of another unit to clean. Or I just ask another housekeeper where Kenny (she) is.

The reason I now personally hand the tip is because years ago at my timeshare while my husband was checking out I was sitting in the car and watched someone going into my unit. I think she may have been the housekeeping supervisor checking to see if we checked out and if the unit was ready to be cleaned. I don't like to think anyone is dishonest but I got a funny feeling. When she left she left the door ajar. Anyone could just walk in just as I do when I walk in someone else's unit to find my housekeeper is inside.

When staying at a hotel, when I go down to the beach/pool I usually find the housekeepers starting the day. If not, I usually go back to my room for some reason during the day and find her then. If I'm staying at the Renaissance and on the private island, no way I am going back to the room to personally hand the housekeeper her tip.

Aruba since 1979
    What i do not like re: housekeeping......in aruba and elsewhere is the door propped open.

Often, I see the same thing that Liz saw. The room door left ajar while the housekeeper is not in there.
    I have seen it when guests still registered to the room/unit but not present..maybe at the beach. I have seen the room doors left
    propped open and the housekeeper not there. That is a huge security risk.

Once at the Renaissance Ocean Suites, I had to ask our housekeeper a few times not to do this and she either did not understand or she did not care.
    At an apartment we stayed in a year or more ago, the housekeeper did the same.
    It is frustrating.

ANYONE can run in, make a grab of one's belongings and then hit the road.

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    What i do not like re: housekeeping......in aruba and elsewhere is the door propped open.

Often, I see the same thing that Liz saw. The room door left ajar while the housekeeper is not in there.
    I have seen it when guests still registered to the room/unit but not present..maybe at the beach. I have seen the room doors left
    propped open and the housekeeper not there. That is a huge security risk.

Once at the Renaissance Ocean Suites, I had to ask our housekeeper a few times not to do this and she either did not understand or she did not care.
    At an apartment we stayed in a year or more ago, the housekeeper did the same.
    It is frustrating.

ANYONE can run in, make a grab of one's belongings and then hit the road.
    Thanks for mentioning this. While I always use the safe sometimes I might leave my kindle or phone charging. I would hate for someone to come in and steal those items especially the phone. I won't do that anymore.

Oh I usually tip weekly. Usually $21 to $30 for the week. One time I tipped $50.00 for the week when I stood at Casa Del Mar. This was my first solo trip and I sure made a mess but she cleaned up after me. She even did the dishes for me. I handed the money in person. There is this resort I've stood at in Cancun The Royal Resorts. I remember they had a system where you would put the money in an envelope that was provided, write the house keepers name and drop it off in a mail box for housekeepers in the lobby.

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    ok ok, we've been stiffing them, we leave $20 at the end of our stay with a thank you note for keeping it clean and have no clue if the housekeeping lady getting the $20 is the one cleaning our room the whole time. We will rethink and probably just leave a $5 on the bed each day. We also have all the valuables locked in the safe except the laptop in the dining room.

Aruba since 1979
    No No....you have tipped what you felt was appropriate.
    We all do what we can do and what we think appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    ok ok, we've been stiffing them, we leave $20 at the end of our stay with a thank you note for keeping it clean and have no clue if the housekeeping lady getting the $20 is the one cleaning our room the whole time. We will rethink and probably just leave a $5 on the bed each day. We also have all the valuables locked in the safe except the laptop in the dining room.

Agree with Andrea, leaving the door open without being
    in the room, is certainly an issue of securing your valuables..

Anyone could walk in, honestly, you could walk into any room
    with the maid there, being in bathing suit acting like you belong...

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    $5 per day and on departure day a larger tip and a hug to say thanks. Usually our 1st day we have a different housekeeper as our favorite, Yvonne, is off on that day. I bring envelopes for each day with her name on it, different stickers as well. Seeing as the housekeepers never see "snow" in aruba, I like to bring Christmas scenes (we go in Nov/Dec) for stickers/labels or snowmen (lol)....Our next trip we will have a new housekeeper as Yvonne retired right after we left last year will miss her dearly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast