Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: tipping the maid

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

tipping the maid

What do you tip the maid at a timeshare. I had been giving $5 a day but I am not sure this is correct. What do you tip? really want to know.

Most travel articles will tell you that the average is $2-$3 per night and up to $5/night for higher end hotels. Also depends on how many rooms your timeshare has. We stay in a 2 bedroom/2 bath at Amsterdam Manor and we tip $3 per bedroom and an additional $2-$3 by the sink for dishes (usually just a couple of glasses and a plate or two.) We don't want her to do the dishes but she always does so now we're just used to leaving extra by the sink for her. We always leave the living room and dining room organized and clean.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I would say that most people give between $30-$40 per week.

I guess we're not most people then. LOL!! We travel for business alot and our tip per day for the maid is usually no more than $3/night - this is for a regular hotel room in your typical Marriott or Radisson. When we stayed at the Ritz we left $5/night but only because we got additional service.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --

Aruba since 1979
    When we r in a timeshare we typically tip $5 /6 per day. That is for the 2 of us.
    When our son traveled with us we added in an extra $3.
    In a hotel room we tip $4 per day
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Here is an article with a good chart at the bottom with various averages for tipping. No cut and dry rules - just tip within reason as far as the service you receive (or the extra cleaning the maid may have to do beyond the usual scope) and what you feel comfortable with.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...ing17_ST_N.htm

well my wife tips the maids last day, average 8.00. 8.00 a day per room, when our 3 kids are on the island. gets costly for all their rooms!!
    don't matter how old they are daddy must pay.......

Aruba since 1979
    Haha Ricky. When kevin traveled with us and was slobby we had him pay his portion out of his aruba play monies . He learned quickly!! Now that he is an adult he truly understands the importance of compensating those that are not our servants but those that serve.

Aruba since 1979
    Tipping Especially Housekeeping
    here is another thread from a few years ago re: tipping the housekeeping staff

I think it depends to the extent of the work the maid has to do. At some resorts in Mexico the maids did thorough cleaning daily from sweeping to moping, cleaning the glass door to balcony, dusting etc.

At my stay at la cabana, I got the feel that they just made up the beds and changed the towels. I could tell because one day I noticed some chips that my mother spilled in the living room floor which were still on floor for 2 days. I didn't pick it up on purpose to see if the maid would clean it and around the second or third day, it was swept.

The beds were made up, we got fresh towels and had plenty of soap and shampoo but I don't think they were sweaping and moping every day.

I left $20.00 for the week which is around the $3.00 per day. It was a 1 bedroom and we left it pretty clean except for those chips on the floor. LOL. We did our own dishes.

A few years ago I stayed at casa del mar and I got to know my maid. She was from the Dominican Republic working in Aruba on a visa. She used to wash my dishes and the room was always super clean. I think I left her like $45 for the week for a 1 bedroom.

Once i went to the Dominican Republic and my maid washed my clothes for me and I paid her extra for that..

It all depends on the service.

I would tip $3 per day for a 1 bedroom and $5 per day for a 2 bedroom but if they do something extra like washing the dishes I pay a little extra..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast