Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I agree that what happens in most tourist spots is that the general desire is for that spot to become "just like America". That is what some or perhaps most (I don't know) tourists like but i'd like to see the island retain something of it's charm. I completely agree at the current time there is no such thing as "controlled" building in the hotel areas which is strange due to all the plans for oranjestead and San Nick. A new administration is needed to develop the island to keep it's charm and still serve it's current top industry tourism. Just have a controlled increase and perhaps some building codes to make sure there aren't any "pink elephants". I would just hate to see Aruba look like all the other islands.... I have been on tons of Carb. cruises and to tell you the truth except for a few islands - one does start to look like another.

As for language - the schools (or most of them) start out with Dutch the "official" language - then move on to other languages.
    It's interesting how communications can still be tough with all the four languages being used on the island. Most students who go to college will go to the US or typically Holland. The costs going to the EU is getting tough for parents due to the weakness of the $. I don't know exactly what they offer but they should have 2 branches of "education" - one aiming at attending in the US or using English heavily and one aimed at the EU. I know my nephew and niece who live in Holland attended a business school that only used English and it was even hard for them (with duel citizenship and tons of US relatives) to write at that level. They could speak it well but the writing and reading was lacking.

The other concern (at least I have heard) is that the building and new "staffing" needs for these places has increased the number of immigrants to work on the island. There is a concern that the "arubian" culture will get lost or watered down. I don't have an answer for that but I understand the concern. Right now I believe they are using the 3 year permits where workers are allowed to live on the island for 3 years and then have to leave. They have since let the Dutch and American workers stay longer. I don't know what the exact percentage is these days for "native arubians/arubians" but would be interested in knowing.

I think the major point SanNic has is right - Aruba needs to get diversified and into new industries - they need to get the kids to stay here. I really think solar and wind power should be developed here and that would be a great industry that would benefit the island and also give the kids a great chance at cutting technology. Many people do consulting for other islands and Aruba could really be the "flagship" to show other islands how this tech. is great. I know right now Curacao has the jump on it - but it wouldn't take too much (if the government was backing it) to catch up and a major bonus is everyone on the island would enjoy cheaper energy costs which is a major cost here.

Love ya SanNic!!! Hope to meet you soon!! Broke another resolution - lengthy posts..... oops.

Lizzardo,

Let's start a political party and take over!

Viva la revolution!

Yeah, it's going to be crazy come September for the election. I'm going to make some plans to be around that time. Would be tons of fun to do a sort of documentary about it. Get good video clips of the action, tie it in with Carnival Music.

Aruba's still great. Just a few bumps in the road.

I'll be on-island very soon and will catch up with you and Mick for beverages and so forth.

Cheers!

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

I agree - what shall we call it? SanLizzardo party? Or just have a party! Hope you are nice and warm!!! LOL! Seriously - this has been a really long and strong rainy season I've seen. Let's see some sunshine everywhere. That's it we'll be the "sunshine party" - so get ready to paint your truck when you come back!!!

Senior Member cyclone promotions's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Lizzardo,

Let's start a political party and take over!

Viva la revolution!

Yeah, it's going to be crazy come September for the election. I'm going to make some plans to be around that time. Would be tons of fun to do a sort of documentary about it. Get good video clips of the action, tie it in with Carnival Music.

Aruba's still great. Just a few bumps in the road.

I'll be on-island very soon and will catch up with you and Mick for beverages and so forth.

Cheers!

you are funny man LOL you should do so it will be lovely
    Professional Island DJ's
    For All Your Weddings And Party Needs.
    We Create Your Party
    DJ TINO
    https://www.weddingwire.com/biz/dj-t...472c213ea.html

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    You should come in Sept...because I'll be there!

This will be my 2nd election - I was there during the one in Sept. 2005. Lots of fun - although we did have to seek out a restaurant in the tourist area one night because those were the only ones serving alcohol on election day.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

We just moved to Aruba and were living in Savanta starting in June of that last election. It was great to see that everyone was really involved with the election and turnout is really high - remember it was in 80 - 90%. There would be a stand and the people running would come and talk w/ the people. Cars were painted or adorned with what party they liked. Caravans would drive thru the island all w/ their "colors" showing. I think there are something like 10 parties on the island - I kinda know how the voting system works here but would take a whole website to explain it and don't want to say something that's not correct.

One funny comercial for one of the females running had girls with tied up tshirts and short shorts on dancing around... we laughed so much at that!

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Good morning Love Aruba 99,

Actually I'm in Aruba Jan. 16-24, 2009, so I might be back here in Winnipeg.

Look, for as much as I follow the NFL, I'm a Dolphins fan (Thank God for the Detroit Lions), so the "Super whatever you want to call it" has been, for us, little more than an over-hyped game that my team is still light years away from ever being in.

Occassionally the game is played in Miami which is great. Dolphin players get to see what all the excitement is about.

So no, I won't be in Aruba for the game.

Glenn

Aruba since 1979
    since this thread has run its course and we are now off topic............the thread will be closed.

off topic stuff can be carried over to the Aruba Lounge off topic section.

cheers

andrea j

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123