Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

translation - crime at the paseo mall

My papimento isn't that great but saw this article in www.bondia.com -
    http://www.bondia.com/index.php?opti...=3443&Itemid=1

It has something to do with 3 people being arrested, a 'sophisticated' crime and something
    happening at the Paseo Herencia mall around 11pm.

Can someone fill in the blanks for me?

Here is the translation I got from someone:

The story basically says the following:
    It's start with saying that the police was alerted to a white toyota who had been seen as the vehicle of three suspects in a robbery.

Their modus operandi was to let the air out of the tire of two rental cars. Then they would wait for the first tourist to arrive and one of them would offer help. Then the other would come along and grab the bag of the tourist. A taxi driver saw this happening and notified the police and gave their car number. They were later spotted in Ponton at which point the police detainded them. They were detained in a restaurant where they had been eating and drinking from the stolen dollars.

Surely not a good experience for the tourists. Unfortunately in a bad economy crime increases everywhere. Here in Atlanta burglaries have increased 38% in two years.

Aruba since 1979
    crime is everywhere in the world

some places worse than others

some places seem bad but in the scheme of things and making comparisons to others................aruba is pretty darn safe.

if we are talking of the crime rate 10yrs ago compare it to today......i would say "check the increase of population, increase of tourists and increase of illegal immigrants" and the downturn of the amount of $$ that folks now have in this disgusting economy.

this forum, a unit of the Aruba Tourism Authority is here to promote tourism.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    crime is everywhere in the world

some places worse than others

some places seem bad but in the scheme of things and making comparisons to others................aruba is pretty darn safe.

if we are talking of the crime rate 10yrs ago compare it to today......i would say "check the increase of population, increase of tourists and increase of illegal immigrants" and the downturn of the amount of $$ that folks now have in this disgusting economy.

this forum, a unit of the Aruba Tourism Authority is here to promote tourism.

andrea
    Hope you have a great vacation

I concur Andrea, Aruba is is a very safe envirnment. Like anywhere you must be aware of your immediate surroundings, and carry yourself appropriately to avoid being a victim. I feel safer in Aruba at midnight than many places elsewhere during daylight.

Aruba since 1979
    we can all kick around the safety debate forever and get no where.
    nothing gets solved.
    again this forum is owned and operated by Aruba Tourism Authority, an arm of the government.

i cannot allow crime threads to become a continual topic.
    they do nothing to solve crime.
    they do nothing to promote tourism.

maybe a better thread would be a general "safe travel tip thread"

this one is now closed
    andrea