Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Travel insurance

Travel insurance

We had a positive experience when canceling our November trip which we had booked through Expedia. I'm sharing because I think a lot of us question whether or not the insurance is worth it. Because of my husband's health it was necessary to cancel so I contacted Expedia and they immediately credited my Visa for the resort fees. We were booked at the Radisson and they allowed cancellation without penalty for up to 30 days prior. Airfare goes in accordance with the airline policy. So in the case of Jet Blue they issue a credit good for one year from date of purchase. In most cases, this would have worked but with my husband's condition we would not be able to use the credit within a year. So this is where the insurance kicks in. I notified Berkely (Expedias provider) and they forwarded a claim form which the doctor filled out. Once submitted I received an email acknowledging receipt and less than 2 weeks later an email stating the check was being mailed. For about a $100 investment we were totally reimbursed and we were totally happy!!

I buy it every time. Sort of like car insurance , you don't always use it , but when needed , OH BOY !!

Aruba since 1979
    peg, i am going to move this to the regular Aruba General section as it will get more visibility there and is related to Aruba.

hope that tom is doing ok!

remember when you travel outside the USA it is imperitive to have travel insurance.........see Peg/Tom's situation above.
    also too in the event of weather related issues (us we were stuck in aruba for a few days due to hurricane irene ..i think it was irene. the insurance picked up the tab for our additional nights lodging, food, auto rental)

we were to have traveled to ireland in 2004, but my mother died shortly before the trip. we did not go and the insurance refunded us 100% of the trip's cost.

look into the insurance!

a good site is www.insuremytrip.com
    lots of policies to make comparisons with.

I always buy trip insurance when traveling. You never know what may happen!

Glad the insurance worked out for you pegmeister, sorry to hear about your Dh though....hope he gets better soon.
    We have never bought insurance and although we have talked about it....with the TS, we can just drop them into our II and are then able to use it within 2 years, as for the air....I figure we would just have to pay the cancellation fee so I never worry...
    But I wonder if one of us got sick in Aruba, how expensive would it be to have to fly home earlier or be air lifted due to an emergency ???? Is there special insurance for that ????
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    it would be very expensive
    $10,000+

go to the travel insurance site that i linked to in the 3rd post of this thread.
    make comparisons

there are standard travel/trip policies that cover.......medical, dental emergencies, emergency evacuation....some with even car insurance, baggage delays, flight delays/cancellations etc.

check your own health care policy before you leave the country.........

re: the medical.....the trip insurance does not pay until your regular health insurance has been tapped.

when in aruba, if needing medical care, be prepared to pay up front....then reimbursement from your own health insurance and/or the trip insurance.

.....it is important to have your medical receipts in ENGLISH from Aruba doctors or hospital... been there done that and was a long hassle getting the thranslated copy....other forum members too have had issues due to the transation. i can think of 4 people that had issues, and it took about 3+ months for the translated receipts to be sent......also too, one or 2 forum members had no issues with submitting the dutch version.

if you have trip insurance, you can breathe a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Glad the insurance worked out for you pegmeister, sorry to hear about your Dh though....hope he gets better soon.
    We have never bought insurance and although we have talked about it....with the TS, we can just drop them into our II and are then able to use it within 2 years, as for the air....I figure we would just have to pay the cancellation fee so I never worry...
    But I wonder if one of us got sick in Aruba, how expensive would it be to have to fly home earlier or be air lifted due to an emergency ???? Is there special insurance for that ????

Thanks Andrea...just recently had a 2D echo and stress test, all turned out negative and dr said he had no issues with me going to aruba. Said I was fine and not to worry....Just makes you wonder now that I am no longer immortal.....(when I was younger I thought I would never have to worry about this kind of nonsense....sad but true...)
    I have a friend who spent a week in the hospital on Aruba and when she returned and submitted her receipts to her insurer there were no issues and they reimbursed without any problems....whether I will be so lucky if I ever were in that kind of situation remains to be seen.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Always better to get the insurance. Last year Hurricane Sandy effected our trip. We were able to leave early for Aruba, stay overnight in a hotel, eat meals etc. The insurance payed for everything, even the fact that we switched airports. To me the insurance is a no brainier,

Very interesting. I've never purchased travel insurance before. All of your comments are making me rethink the additional cost.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    our friend charlie, fell and broke his leg in costa rica.
    he has medicare and a supplement from aarp.
    neither would cover emergency evacuation.

but his trip insurance kicked in and reimbursed the flight and other associated costs......$47,000 from san jose costa rica to tampa

a few year prior
    his travel companion on a cruise got injured on ice in south america , i think argentina as they were looking at penguins or something cold as they were on ice
    anyway, dino fell, and broke a hip and and a bad shoulder injury.
    no trip insurance
    he was treated in argentina, stabilized, then flew home on his own dime, again to tampa................... huge amount of money. i cannot remember the amount, but a huge amount.

i cannot stress strongly enough about the importance of the insurance.
    even if your flight is delayed a few hours...........most of the insurance policies will reimburse you for inconveniences.

when we were delayed in aruba due to a storm barreling in on miami (it missed)......our flight was cancelled and we could not get on another flight for 3 or 4 days. all extra expenses incured were submitted to the insurance. 3 squares a day, additional nights at hotel, additional dog care at home, additional car rental.............all that was needed were receipts!

please if you are traveling internationally.............look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Very interesting. I've never purchased travel insurance before. All of your comments are making me rethink the additional cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast