Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Travel Medical Insurance?

Travel Medical Insurance?

Hello All, My medical insurance doesn't cover for incidents outside of the U.S. I will only be in Aruba for a week but I am thinking about getting a short term travel medical plan for the duration of my trip. Do you think it is worth it? If something were to happen what is the medical care like in Aruba?

Aruba since 1979
    go to www.insuremytrip.com and compare some travel insurance policies.
    most have the kind of coverage you'd need.
    approx $100, maybe less.

check out this thread although it is an old thread
    Hospitals and Emergencies

the medical care is good on aruba, and the hospital is modern

your own USA based health insurance is not usable in aruba

credit cards and cash accepted

if you need medical care, pay cash or credit card and get a receipt in ENGLISH so you can submit it to your own health insurance for reimbursement and then the travel insurance as a secondary.

we never travel outside of the USA without the trip/travel insurance and usually go with the Access America plan from www.insuremytrip.com

QUOTE=Day79;233485]Hello All, My medical insurance doesn't cover for incidents outside of the U.S. I will only be in Aruba for a week but I am thinking about getting a short term travel medical plan for the duration of my trip. Do you think it is worth it? If something were to happen what is the medical care like in Aruba?[/QUOTE]

have been in hospital in aruba several times....only once for me, but with others for several different reasons.....well taken care of and cheap.....everyone was able to submit t receipts to their medical insurances at home for full/partial refunds....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

We have purchased trip insurance through American Airlines and Delta Airlines when purchasing our tickets. Both have been around $50-60 total for 2 adults. For me it is worth the peace of mind knowing that if something did happen, we are covered for such a low cost. I haven't had to use it - thank goodness - but my hubby is a daredevil and I am clumsy so I know there is always a chance. Then there are those pesky things like appendicitis or an ear infection that you may just never see coming. For me, it is a no brainer.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

I found this thread and I called insuremytrip 800-487-4722. The lady I spoke to was very, very knowledgeable and helpful. I simply wanted medical coverage as we used points for airfare and room. so our trip cost was virtually nothing except for taxes. She quoted us $40 for a policy that covers $1000 for lost baggage, $300 for baggage delay, $750 trip interruption return flight, $500 missed connection, trip delay $1000, medical evacuation $500,000 and emergency/sickness $50,000 w/a $50 deductible. There are a few other things as well. The total cost was $40.00. She took my info over the phone and by the time we were done with the call, I had a confirmation email from the insurance provider.

When I was younger, I never even considered trip insurance. As we get older, and I hear of other people's dilemmas, I now think it's a great idea.

[QUOTE=Andrea J.;233488]go to www.insuremytrip.com and compare some travel insurance policies.
    most have the kind of coverage you'd need.
    approx $100, maybe less.

check out this thread although it is an old thread
    Hospitals and Emergencies

the medical care is good on aruba, and the hospital is modern

your own USA based health insurance is not usable in aruba

credit cards and cash accepted

if you need medical care, pay cash or credit card and get a receipt in ENGLISH so you can submit it to your own health insurance for reimbursement and then the travel insurance as a secondary.

we never travel outside of the USA without the trip/travel insurance and usually go with the Access America plan from www.insuremytrip.com

Aruba since 1979
    One thing that is so very important too, is to make sure that you have a major credit card with you when you travel outside of the USA.
    Most if not all ,out of USA hospital or doctor visits WILL require out of pocket payment.
    Then once you are back home, you then submit all paperwork to primary health insurance company (NOT MEDICARE) and to supplements and to travel insurance companies for reimbursement.

Medical evacuation on the insurance is very important and for $40 Aua got 500K coverage that is excellent. You never know when you need to be evacuated to a hospital in the states. I as on cruise ship once and some kid got hurt in the swimming pool. They had insurance which covered medivac. The ship could not leave port until the ambulance arrived and they received confirmation that they arrived at the airport. I don't remember where but I think we were in the Bahamas and he was being evacuated to Miami.

Definitely get insurance. Aruba's healthcare system is fine for day-to-day issues and chronic conditions but, if something severe and traumatic happens, you'll want the ability to get back home without any hassles.

Get the insurance!!!

I want to purchase limited travel insurance with the best evacuation coverage. How much evacuation coverage do you feel would be appropriate? Thanks for any advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast