Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: travelers checks & cards/cc fees

travelers checks & cards/cc fees

I have a Citi Advatage MC & AMex. WIll I be charged a transaction fee in Aruba if the charge is in US $. I calll cust service and get different answers.. Also do all restaurants accept travelers checks/traverls cards?
    THanks

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Check w/ your bank. We were chg'ed. Also, call ahead and let your banks know you will be out of the country and the dates. We learned the hard way, we got "shut off" without knowing why...Restuarants are happy to take credit cards and travelers checks...enjoy

As Cindy said check with each bank or card issuer.

There was a rumor on another forum that every credit card was now charging transaction fees outside of the US and it is simply not true.

We used AMEX almost exclusively. Dh recently made a purchase in Mexico and there was no surcharge or service fees.

I just applied for a Capital One card since my Citi Advantage MC & AMex cust service people gave me varying answers about whether I will be chgd the 3% fee. Capital One tells me there is no fee. does anyobody have experience with Capital One charging a fee if charged in US$ in ARuba..thnks

Aruba since 1979
    we have AMEX and CITI platinum master card.
    never have been charged a fee outside of the USA.
    and........i was at our credit union today and there was a new sign up (and a notification came in our statement) that our ATM/debit card, effective oct 15 would be useless in foreign countries unless the credit union is notified and the countries listed on our account.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa View Post
    I just applied for a Capital One card since my Citi Advantage MC & AMex cust service people gave me varying answers about whether I will be chgd the 3% fee. Capital One tells me there is no fee. does anyobody have experience with Capital One charging a fee if charged in US$ in ARuba..thnks

Andrea,
    Wow, I didn't know that...about the debit card....I use it quite a bit in Aruba because then I don't have to carry so much cash....Better call my credit card companies as well as my bank to make sure I don't get caught off guard...
    I always pay my timeshare bill with a credit card so if they overcharge me I have the company to fight the fight for me
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    another thing to think of...a post awhile ago said someone was lifting debit card #'s...so use it with caution...bring enuf cash or travelers checks just to be sure....

Well, for what it is worth; we ALWAYS carry a small amount of cash; traveler checks and one credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Edronenburg View Post
    Well, for what it is worth; we ALWAYS carry a small amount of cash; traveler checks and one credit card.
    We do the same except we each bring a credit card so that we have two for any emergencies (in case one is lost, etc.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I posted this in another thread and am reposting here:

Before traveling with an ATM card, please check with your bank's policies regarding lost and stolen cards. Rules and policies are not necessarily the same as they are with credit cards where you are normally liable for only the first $50 in charges.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/debitcards1.htm
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.pdf

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/fitness/archive/2001/ff20010808.htm
    "Debit cards. The rules are similar for debit cards, but there are a few restrictions. For example, your liability under federal law is limited to $50, but only if you notify the issuer within two business days of discovering the card's loss or theft. [this would probably be easy if you travel and access the internet daily to check your account balances.] Your liability could jump to $500 if you put it off. And even this cap is lifted if you wait more than 60 calendar days from the time your bank statement is mailed."

Credit cards are widely accepted all over the island.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast