Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Tried in Vain to save Mans Life

Tried in Vain to save Mans Life

We were at the Beach at the Calton and was out in the water when a Man fell off his Surf Board---he was face down in the water. We got him to shore and tried everything---the parametics took 20 mins to arrive---which I have a hard time with. His wife sat in front of him for 2 hours--police reports, Corner lady--- He had a medical condition and drowned----We felt helpless and sad

Bobby

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Very sad.

Very sad indeed.

Aruba since 1979
    Wow unfortunate and tragic.

Aruba since 1979
    a dear friend in aruba who is an EMT wrote to me and i asked her if the info she provided to me was ok to pass on.

and i paraphrase

Hey Andrea-15-20 min is the average response here.Also that is on par with several or many USA large cities.Unfortunately things like this happen more often than you think...people dying on vacation.During the day we have three ambulances on this side if the island. In addition to responding to emergencies, they also transport patients to treatment who are to sick to go by car.Also, they are not paramedics- they are nurses with BSN plus a two Year specialty in trauma or cardiac.

Also, they cannot remove a body until the funeral home picks them up....We also have an excellent victim services police until who assist the bereaved until they leave Aruba- they assist with every aspect helping the family, contacting the Consulate and repatriating the remains. I have worked with them and they are an amazing and compassionate team of the police---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here in our community in w. central florida it takes about 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. we receive county services (fire/rescue/sheriff)
    our next door neighbor laid on her garage floor with me consoling her and it seemed like forever for rescue to arrive. it was 19 minutes and it seemed like hours.

we have been on 15 cruises in the last 8 years and believe it or not, a death has occured on 8 of those 15.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.

So sad to hear. I know everyone did their best.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    would anyone know if this was the same one that was mentioned on Trip Advisor because they said the people from the Ritz took forever to bring a defibrillator, etc. but this could be a different person, I don't know. As far as the EMT's, if you think about it, they get the call, jump in the ambulance and get there. 15 minutes is not long (I'm sure it feels like forever) but when you think about the logistics, its not long.

Bobby, I am sure this is something that will stay with you forever. Seeing someone pass away is traumatizing. Remember to let yourself grieve. Even though you did not know the person, it is a tragic experience. I hope that you are able to relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Andrea - thank you and your friend for sharing this insight.

Aruba since 1979
    i am thinking that is is one and the same situation gaby.

kudos to bobbyaruba for participating in the rescue.
    so difficult.
    i do wonder if he drowned or if he died on the surfboard and then wound up in the water face down.
    regardless the guy is gone and his family must be grieving along with his rescuers.

defib devices should be in each hotel lobby, hotel pool mounted and on the beach near the beach towel hut
    and signs should be very visible

years ago...i was recruited by divi to do cpr and first aid for many of their employees. 1998 or so? now, many resort staff member are trained and there are cpr and safety teams at many of the resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    would anyone know if this was the same one that was mentioned on Trip Advisor because they said the people from the Ritz took forever to bring a defibrillator, etc. but this could be a different person, I don't know. As far as the EMT's, if you think about it, they get the call, jump in the ambulance and get there. 15 minutes is not long (I'm sure it feels like forever) but when you think about the logistics, its not long.

BobbyAruba
    You did your best and in front of his wife; she will acknowledge what you did and so many others like us on the forum
    Don't let this get to you...as you mentioned he did have medical issues and more than likely died of heart attack before falling into the
    water.
    I thank you and every one who participate in this event... again his "family & others" saw your good deed..
    prayers are with you and all those involved..
    Cathi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast