Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: UAV / Drones in aruba???

UAV / Drones in aruba???

I would be surprised if anyone knows, but are there any laws regulating drone/UAV(unmanned aerial vehicle) usage in Aruba?

My wife and I are professional videographers, recently picked up a drone for the business to be able to capture areial footage and I just cannot get enough of it.
    With our Aruba trip planned for July I cannot stop thinking about what I could capture with this thing there.

What is it exactly?
    A relatively small radio controlled helicopter with 4 propellers (quad copter) that totes around a stabilized goPro.
    Trade-winds are a concern but the little thing is fairly intelligent, knows its location based on satellites and can easily handle (fly in and hover in place in) 20MPH and a little higher winds so I think I will be good most days/times...
    Local laws, although I don't see it being a problem are another concern.

And yes, i'll share footage on here!! :-)

Aruba since 1979
    I am wondering if you can contact the aruba airport authority to get information.
    The aruba police fly their helicopter very low along the shoreline. I wonder if they would object?

Then again it may be better to ask forgiveness than permission ?

would love to see aerial footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Then again it may be better to ask forgiveness than permission ?
    CERTAINLY easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    CERTAINLY easier.

LOL... Ok i'll take that route!!

I know I'm not gonna be dumb with it, but as soon as I ask, ill get the answer that was developed for the small percentage of people that would be dumb with it.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I don't know about asking a police officer for forgiveness in a foreign country.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    I don't know about asking a police officer for forgiveness in a foreign country.
    I'm not really looking to fly it around Oranjestad or any other inland areas, more over the oceans/shorelines....
    Were going out on the Octopus and I emailed Jethro to check and make sure it was ok and he was good with it but cautioned about the winds which is probably going to end up being my main concern each time I try to bring it out.

I'm really interested in flying it over some of the rocky terrain on the north side which I know I would not have to worry about anyone approaching me!!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ...Then again it may be better to ask forgiveness than permission ?

would love to see aerial footage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    CERTAINLY easier.

Of course, in a foreign country, your gear may be confiscated and you could face charges.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by jplayer View Post
    I'm not really looking to fly it around Oranjestad or any other inland areas, more over the oceans/shorelines....
    Were going out on the Octopus and I emailed Jethro to check and make sure it was ok and he was good with it but cautioned about the winds which is probably going to end up being my main concern each time I try to bring it out.

I'm really interested in flying it over some of the rocky terrain on the north side which I know I would not have to worry about anyone approaching me!!

Jamie
    I do know from experience working on navy jets that if you crash it into the ocean, the salt water will pretty much trash it.

Junior Member RobKnight-Leatherby's Avatar
    I am taking my phantom 4 this June,and had no issues last October when i took my phantom 3 pro.So long as you stay clear of the hotels and obviously the airport you will have no issues,like you i film mainly on the Rocky side of the island or out to sea.The only issue you might have is the wind gusts.I was planning on taking my typhoon H Pro but it has not arrived in the country yet.Safe flying and would love to see your final video.
    Quote Originally Posted by jplayer View Post
    I would be surprised if anyone knows, but are there any laws regulating drone/UAV(unmanned aerial vehicle) usage in Aruba?

My wife and I are professional videographers, recently picked up a drone for the business to be able to capture areial footage and I just cannot get enough of it.
    With our Aruba trip planned for July I cannot stop thinking about what I could capture with this thing there.

What is it exactly?
    A relatively small radio controlled helicopter with 4 propellers (quad copter) that totes around a stabilized goPro.
    Trade-winds are a concern but the little thing is fairly intelligent, knows its location based on satellites and can easily handle (fly in and hover in place in) 20MPH and a little higher winds so I think I will be good most days/times...
    Local laws, although I don't see it being a problem are another concern.

And yes, i'll share footage on here!! :-)
    Last edited by RobKnight-Leatherby; 06-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.

How hard is it to fly the drone? I have actually been thinking about buying one myself..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast