Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    peggy

Re: Underage drinking in Aruba

I had no problems when my children were that age when we took them to Aruba.it's probably like you say on every Island now.

linda

Do you think this is the first time your 16 yr old has probably drank. Think again.

Tom

I disagree, i'm 25 and have been visiting Aruba since i was 12. last may i stood in line outside of carlos and charlies while they checked id's, including mine. sure when i was younger on they island it seemed like nobody would mind if i was drinking a frozen drink,but i never realy wanted one. Sure it can happen but not if you keep an eye on your curious teen.why not hang out w/ them at night,aruba is that kind of place where everyone can hang out and let loose, with plenty of different places to have fun including carlos and charlies. It's a great place to visit no matter what age.

Renee

It's all in how you raise your children and the values you teach them. If they want to drink (or do anything else for that matter) they can do it anywhere. It doesn't have to be in Aruba.

leslie

[19yr old girl from new jersey]

i don't think it's all how you raise your children.. my parents are wonderful and taught my 17 year old sister and i how to be nice, respectful citizens. but school/work and general life as a teenager can be hard these days. kids just wanna let loose. most kids don't drink into oblivion, they just drink to feel relaxed. i usually initiate the planning of our family vacations because otherwise it never gets done (lol) and this year i opted to choose aruba over cancun because i knew that i would feel safer (for myself, my sister, and our friend) there. cancun gets craaazy with all sorts of contests and such. aruba is so much more relaxed. my sister, her friend, and i love our parents and they allow us to drink with them and away from them because they know that i know how to handle myself and i watch out for my sister like she were my daughter. but not all teens are like this. some are just gonna do what they want and they'll sneak around.. you wouldn't believe what some (supposedly) good kids do. if the drinking age in the US had always been the same as in Europe there wouldn't be so much illegal activity going on. kids in the US start drinking at incredibly young ages now.. try like 11yrs old! bad examples that older kids set has trickled its way down to middle school level. it doesn't really matter how much "control" parents think they have over their children because they can be missing a whole world of information if they don't have a close relationship with them. anyway, i'm really looking forward to getting down to aruba for the second time this saturday!... (first was when i was 10). sorry to you folks who don't like seeing kids having fun, why don't you try bermuda next time.

Mike

Kids will do what they want to do, especially if they are told that they are not even allowed to think about it. Having just recently turning 21, went through this issue with my parents many times. The bottom line is that drinking alcohol is not a bad thing, it is how you handle it. My parents were OK with me drinking as long as I was responsible about it. Since they put their trust in me, I respected their request to not drink and drive, get oblivereated, etc. The drinking age would have never been raised from 18 in the US if kids didn't do the stupid crap that they do today.

Beth

what happened at carlos and charlies?

Al

How many of you asked to speak to the Manager of the hotel or take pen in hand and write to Hyatt or wherever and complain to corporate headquarters? Raise hell, When you speak to the manager make sure everyone in the hotel hears you. Threaten a law suit.

boston lisa

I have been to Carlos N Charlies with my son during the daytime hours and it was fine. I would not think of bringing him there at night. I don't know what happened there but blaming Aruba for your child's actions is a major smoke screen.

Jo

My son just turned 21 and is a Junior in college...he may have a beer once in a while but neither he nor his friends are "drinkers" and he chooses to hang out with friends that have his values. We would offer him a glass of wine or beer at special family occasions so it was never a big deal to him. My husband and I took him and three of his friends to Aruba for his high school graduation present....we have a timeshare at Costa Linda so he's been going there for years. They were all 18 at the time and when we went to dinner they might or might not have a beer or mixed drink. They also went to Carlos and Charlies alone and had a couple of drinks....but to be honest, they spent most of the night dancing and having a good time. You can actually do that.....not drink and have a good time!!! There's a common misperception among adults that all teenagers and college students drink themselves silly.....many do, some don't and I'm proud of my son for making the right choice for him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast