Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14

Thread: unique packing video

Aruba since 1979

unique packing video

http://home20.sfglobe.com/2015/03/19...e_fb_new_37742

this packing how to video was on FB today.
    the suitcase looks like an overhead pullman style

unsure if this video could help those of us here with packing issues, but it's worth a look

i seem to have great success at rolling items and separating things with dry cleaning bags...really helps on the wrinkles.

how do you pack?

happy saturday

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Okay, I thought I was good but that was amazing. I don't think I could replicate that but it goes to show, if you pack right, you only need a carry on.

I always use space travel bags. We go for over two weeks but we have a washer/dryer so I pack for one week and then repeat the next week. In my husband's carry on goes about 5 travel bags::3 large, 2 medium. In my carry on goes everything else such as shoes, handbags, everything but clothes. I pretty much have our travel needs down to a science and of course over the years going to Aruba, you know what you need and each year we need to bring less because we know what we are going to end up wearing or needing to use.

Since we get free checked bags, I pack up a box with things like coffee, equal, snacks, whatever. Once we get there, I unpack the box and throw it away and this way we don't have to wait for luggage in Newark (which is a disaster). The baggage carousel in Aruba is a breeze. its so uncomplicated there. In Newark, its longer than the flight and a pain to have someone pick you up. This way when we arrive in Newark, we have our pick up at the international departure because at night its empty and no problem.

Saw this clip on the "Chew" and to help with the wrinkles.... mix one cap of your favorite fabric softer and a cup of water into a spray bottle.
    Spray the clothing and then hang it in the bathroom while taking a shower. Wham the wrinkles were gone
    Worked well on cotton type products...
    Going to try it on my uniforms tonight.

I have tried that bundle wrapping technique, but was not as successful as this video. I'm guessing that person only packed sports bras, because how else would they fit in that little square? I typically pack everything once, then unpack it, rearrange it for no good reason, and try a different method and it always seems to fit the same about of clothes. Packing in our house is sometimes tense and pretty much a nightmare. Because I wear plus size clothing, I am paranoid that my bag will be lost and I will be stuck wearing a mumu and mens boardshorts all week. So on the way to Aruba, I always put more of my clothes and swim suits in the carry-on. We got a bag a day later once so I'm ruined for life. We always check a bag, primarily for sunblock. This year I did use space bags and we were able to get almost everything in the carry-ons...both times I packed them . I was so proud of myself this trip - we both wore everything we brought except 1 shirt each. We might have finally figured out what we need!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    Omg your thoughts of mumus and men's board shorts is my thought as well��

My mom had shared a FB video from packinglight.com which was essentially the same thing. I may try it, but there are other things we pack that weren't in either video I watched, i.e. swimsuits. large bottled toiletries, esp sunscreen.

I think I remember mentioning in an earlier post that I was proud I took some things out of my packing piles and put them back in the drawers. However, that just made space for me to add other things.
    I truly am going to try to pack for 1/2 my trip since the resort has a washer/dryer, if needed. You wear dinner clothes for such a short period of time I can convince myself to wear them twice.

I too love space bags!! In fact, I need to go find them right now!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    if you have a dryer at your resort, you can always do this. When I bring long skirts or maxi dresses and want to wear them twice but not really have to wash them, take a bounce sheet, throw that with the dress, skirt, top or shorts just to refresh for about 20 minutes in the dryer. then when you get home, you can always wash them or dry clean them or whatever. I am a huge fan of the Dryell Cleaning System.

We use the ZipLock Space bags (the kind you vacuum the air out of once your garments/items are in place). It saves an INCREDIBLE amount of space. Especially when somebody is really picky about the pillows they lay their delicate head on (ahem).

The only thing that we try not to wrinkle are linen pants but, to be honest, I have yet to see a sneer in an Aruba restaurant because we look a little less than pressed.

All that being said, I'll be thrilled when we can start leaving clothes down there and just jump on a plane with a toothbrush and a smile.

I use the travel space bags because unfortunately down in Aruba there is no vacuum cleaner so I wouldn't be able to repack the regular space bags. I need the travel ones you roll the air out of. I absolutely love them.

Yes, we use the ones that you roll the air out of. Or, as my kids are found of doing, just laying on top of them.