Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Unlocked Phones

Unlocked Phones

Sorry for yet another cell phone question but I have an old smart phone that I donít use because I upgraded to a new phone when my contract was up. Since the phone is not connected to my wireless service is it considered unlocked now?

The short answer is your phone in all likelihood is still locked. This is a pretty good explanation of an unlocked phone. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...cell-phone.htm

So glad I asked! I was going to use this as my "Aruba" phone. Thank you!!

As far as I know that phone would still be considered locked, give you're phone company a call and for about $25-40 they can unlock it for you and when you are down here you can sign up for a monthly prepaid plan at SETAR, and rates are fairly reasonable (atleast compared to Canadian cell rates). It is about 95 Afl. per month a plan with 3G data and it works great, I just did this last week and everything works great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by tfinlayson View Post
    As far as I know that phone would still be considered locked, give you're phone company a call and for about $25-40 they can unlock it for you and when you are down here you can sign up for a monthly prepaid plan at SETAR, and rates are fairly reasonable (atleast compared to Canadian cell rates). It is about 95 Afl. per month a plan with 3G data and it works great, I just did this last week and everything works great so far!
    That's a good idea. Would it be a permant unlock or would I have to call them each time I got to unlock it? Thanks for your help.

It would be permanently unlocked, then once you get to Aruba go to SETAR and buy a new SIM card for your phone, they will take out your SIM card attached to your phone plan back home, and replace it with a SETAR SIM card to use on the island. This will change your phone number to an Aruban number for the duration of your stay, and upon returning to North America you can put back in your SIM card for your normal plan and you will have your same plan and same phone number from back home. And then everytime you come to Aruba you put in the Aruban SETAR sim card and buy the monthly prepaid plan and you would be good to go.