Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Unusual souvenirs or "odd or different souvenirs"

Aruba since 1979

Unusual souvenirs or "odd or different souvenirs"

Have any of you brought back "odd/different/unusual" types of souvenirs or mementos ?
    We have brought back a few paintings, and in the early years of Aruba travel tee shirts and beach bags.
    I am always on the lookout for something really unique.

Every trip I search for jewelry made from the djucu nut. They supposedly wash ashore from Venezuela. They're said to be lucky and get warm in your hands when you rub them. I have yet to find one. I've read about them in the brochure in the hotel and saw an article about a vendor across from the Radisson but even with that lead I have yet to find one. Maybe it's folklore!!

Here's a link so you know what to look for
    http://nightspublications.com/aruba-...-lucky-nut.php
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 06-01-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    i have never heard of the djucu nut.
    very interesting!

i wonder if any of our forum members have one or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Every trip I search for jewelry made from the djucu nut. They supposedly wash ashore from Venezuela. They're said to be lucky and get warm in your hands when you rub them. I have yet to find one. I've read about them in the brochure in the hotel and saw an article about a vendor across from the Radisson but even with that lead I have yet to find one. Maybe it's folklore!!

Here's a link so you know what to look for
    http://nightspublications.com/aruba-...-lucky-nut.php

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We were in the Seaport Mall on our 3rd or 4th trip and saw a hanging sign that said "gone to the beach" Dangling under the sign was a person laying on a hammock. We didn't buy it at the time as we had just arrived. When we went back, it was gone and they have never had another one. Buy it when you see it.

First time out on horseback on the island, I noticed at a distance, a goat skull of good size, and being me, was really anxious to dismount and go get it.
    Not too crazy about that idea, the guide suggested I wait a bit, he knew of someplace by the end of the trail.
    Sure did... we stopped at a farm on the way back and he was kind enough to procure a rather large, and perfectly clean, goat skull.
    This was back before the major security clearance stuff, and yes, I did declare it coming home, so it shows it wasn't a major issue bringing it home.
    THAT is my weird and unusual souvenir.... until I can bring home a pet bat or lizard....

Missing the Tamarijn already, and it's only been a week.
    And yes, booking the next trip, well, logistically, already.

See ya next year, same time, same resort, same beach....
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Aruba since 1979
    wow.........a goat skull.
    that is unique indeed.

do you have it on display at your house?

Sure do... it's hanging in my therapy room with the other assorted
    goodies and weirdness I've collected over the years.

Unusual souvenirs or "odd or different souvenirs"-p01-06-14_13-35.jpg Unusual souvenirs or "odd or different souvenirs"-p01-06-14_13-35-1-.jpg

I've no idea why they show up sideways, but there they are...
    And fear not, the pentacle/star behind mr. skullhead is a tambourine...
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Aruba since 1979
    the pentacle/tambourine is unique too!

gotta say, i like the skull.

forum member sherryf has a camel skull in her china cabinet.

so far you are the frontrunner for "unique souvenir"

however i would love to get one of those djucu nut things that peg mentioned.

If you remember some of the old unique shops in downtown…..well we were looking for something different and in one of the shops they had strange people made out of goat horns and teeth…..and of course i had to have one, it is very weird looking. Like an indian with a drum between his legs, his teeth are the goats teeth and his horns are goat horns, then of course he has this weird looking thing between the horns and if you grab it and pull….it is a knife !!!!!
    Those were also in the days when you could take stuff like that home ( I did however put it in my suitcase)….I will get a picture of it and post in another response to this thread
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

If you remember some of the old unique shops in downtown…..well we were looking for something different and in one of the shops they had strange people made out of goat horns and teeth…..and of course i had to have one, it is very weird looking. Like an indian with a drum between his legs, his teeth are the goats teeth and his horns are goat horns, then of course he has this weird looking thing between the horns and if you grab it and pull….it is a knife !!!!!
    Those were also in the days when you could take stuff like that home ( I did however put it in my suitcase)….I will get a picture of it and post in another response tofile://localhost/Users/micheleambrosia/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/Masters/2014/06/01/20140601-213951/Image%203.jpgfile://localhost/Users/micheleambrosia/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/Masters/2014/06/01/20140601-213721/Image.jpg
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast