Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: unusual winds ...again

Thank you all for the responses - it's greatly appreciated! 31 mph seems rather high...

We were in Aruba for the day on a cruise a few years back and it was October and had a fabulous time with no real wind to speak of and VERY calm waters so we're hoping for similar weather as the calm/warm waters were something my wife loved as she's not a big fan of the big waves.

Aruba since 1979
    re: our ocean plans....we were fine at Boca Catalina Beach, the waves and winds some days were excessive, but the sand was not blowing.
    the few times we went to arashi, the waves were huge, but the wind was a bit calmer.
    went to eagle beach a few times and there were waves, but no blowing sand.

yes, sort of....it changed our pool plans.
    we were unable to be at LaCabana's pool (although we did not stay there, we are owners and allowed to use the facilities) due to the umbrellas not being able to be put up most of the time due to the gusty winds. no umbrellas, means no shade, means i am outta there!

however, pegmeister had some blowing sand and huge wave issues at druif beach and she and her dh had to spend some time at the pool instead of on the beach . i don't think it was a huge deal for them, but i really cannot speak for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Andrea, did the stronger winds change any of your beach routine from previous trips where the wind wasn't as bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    at least with today's winds, the umbrellas at Lacabana were able to be opened by noon....when those that need the shade the most!

lisa..the winds we felt from may 6-19 were the strongest that we have ever felt. your trip was june 6-16, was that the strongest you have ever felt? how was the dust situation while you were there?

Yes, the windiest out of 10+ June visits. VERY hazy due to the Saharan dust.

Oddest thing was the day that we went to Andicuri Beach and 3 Bridges, the waves were tiny.

As Andrea said, we did have some huge waves on Druif Beach. We stay at the Divi AI and there are always waves at this beach. Usually I'm up for all the waves but the first half of our vacation they were just too much so we headed to the pool. I didn't mind as I stayed under the palapa on the beach and just walked over to the pool for a dip when it got too warm.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    As Andrea said, we did have some huge waves on Druif Beach. We stay at the Divi AI and there are always waves at this beach. Usually I'm up for all the waves but the first half of our vacation they were just too much so we headed to the pool. I didn't mind as I stayed under the palapa on the beach and just walked over to the pool for a dip when it got too warm.

We usually spend a couple of days just around the Druiff bend towards Manchebo and like you said its always wavey but it was definitely worse than normal. Saw the ocean claim someones prescription glasses from them. The worst part was you could tell they had just arrived that same day as they were still wearing travel clothes. Felt so bad for the guy.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

I learned my lesson with the waves a few years ago. Thinking I could time my entry an exit, I went in. The waves came fast and furious and it was exhausting. When I went to get out the waves knocked me down and I needed help getting out. There was a lot of broken coral that had washed up so my legs were cut up good. I still love the waves but I don't take chances when it's rough

http://www.meteo.aw/dis.php
    "TRADEWINDS REMAIN STRONG FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND ARE BEING MAINTAINED BY A TIGHT PRESSURE GRADIENT BETWEEN THE ATLANTIC HIGH AND COLOMBIAN LOW.

SAHARAN DUST MAY REDUCE VISIBILITY A LITTLE AND WILL ALSO SUPRESS SOME RAINFALL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12