Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: US Citizen Staying in Aruba over 30 Days?

US Citizen Staying in Aruba over 30 Days?

I know many of you own property on the island, but for those of you who do not or who have done this prior to owning property, where can I find a form I need to fill out to stay over 30 days?

I did research probably a year and a half ago and thought we could stay 180 days without having to file for anything, but according to this article that is only if you own property there http://www.thearubahouse.com/stay_limits.html good thing I checked

I'm sure I could find what I need through a google search but I trust you guys more than google!

Thank you,
    Crystal

Aruba since 1979
    although many things that are posted here are "true/factual", please realize that sometimes misinformation is given.

check with aruba immigration and their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by crdavies View Post
    I know many of you own property on the island, but for those of you who do not or who have done this prior to owning property, where can I find a form I need to fill out to stay over 30 days?

I did research probably a year and a half ago and thought we could stay 180 days without having to file for anything, but according to this article that is only if you own property there http://www.thearubahouse.com/stay_limits.html good thing I checked

I'm sure I could find what I need through a google search but I trust you guys more than google!

Thank you,
    Crystal

Thanks Andrea,
    I of course plan to do everything I need to with immigration, more or less looking for a point in the right direction as far as which website to start this process etc from someone who has done it before. I found some websites online, but they are all in Dutch, and unfortunately I am not fluent (yet )

Aruba since 1979
    how long past 30 days?

the immigration ed card that is filled out online prior to aruba arrival will ask "how long staying and address of where staying?"

if one answers "41 days " or something like that (over 30) immigration WILL instruct you as how to proceed.
    it may require NOTHING

or

It will however, require a return ticket is required and immigration may ask to see the confirmation of the return flight and they may ask to see the rental agreement or any documentation of where you are staying.

In years past sometimes a visitor had to go to immigration office and apply to stay longer than 30 days, but I have been told that does not happen any longer, except in unusual circumstances.

I've been told different things=90 and a 180. We will be there 91 our next trip which includes our arrival and departure. I guess I'll find out if it is an issue or not.

Just over the 30 day mark. That is the thing Robin, I always find conflicting info online! Was hoping I would hear from someone who's experienced interaction with immigration before. I send a message on the DIMAS site. Not sure if that is even the correct place to start, but it's where one of the sites led me!

Just over the 30 day mark. That is the thing Robin, I always find conflicting info online! Was hoping I would hear from someone who's experienced interaction with immigration before. I send a message on the DIMAS site. Not sure if that is even the correct place to start, but it's where one of the sites led me!
    Hi Crystal

let me share an experience

a couple of of years ago the agent at the airport refused us a stay longer than 30 days even though we own 2 Villas here. She advised us to go to DIMAS which we did. ( What a zoo)

After finding the right person, this was the procedure they followed

1. Do you have a return ticket booked

2. Do you have comprehensive medical/health coverage for the duration of your stay.

3. Can you prove to us you have arrangements/confirmation of where you will be living/staying and the financial means for your stay here. If it's rental can you show a receipt.

Upon explaining our ownership they entered something into the computer. That was it.

On another occassion, I had to stay beyond the 180 period. I had tried DIMAS and received some advice. Namely a letter explaining the circumstances. The last extension was related to a project I was working on. I contacted the Ministers office. Went and received a letter of extension.

it seemed that the rules governing the length of stay are designed and enforced to prevent overstaying illegal immigrants who claim they are on vacation. I asked this of a DIMAS agent and he essentially confirmed that US,Canadian,UK and some Europeans get extensions easily. They do not seen to be the concern.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is some additional info:

DIMAS announces changes in its policy

Dit item is verlopen op 14-01-2018.
    ORANJESTAD - Due to technical problems with the new internal registration system for foreign nationals named SIRSA, implemented on 1 September 2017, two changes will be made to the policy of DIMAS.

This does not mean that these changes are definitive. The policy will be evaluated and will be announced when it is completed.
    The first amendment involves a group of people whose first application for a residence permit is being processed and are awaiting a decision. These persons may stay on Aruba until their request has been processed. Persons who have applied for a residence permit for investor, rentier (person of independent means), pensioner, trainee and persons who have been married to local people (Aruban) can stay with their family in Aruba pending the processing of their first application by DIMAS.

For other applicants, the current policy remains in force. This means that they have to wait abroad for the first application for a residence permit.
    Furthermore, as of 1 January, the tasks of DIMAS regarding the issuing a short-stay or tourist residence permit and the control of guarantee declarations will be transferred to IASA (Immigration Service).

In view of the technical problems encountered with the new system, all pending requests submitted before December 12 will be awarded. However, the maximum days permitted by law may not be exceeded.

Tourists who wish to extend their stay in Aruba by 60 days in addition to the days already granted by the Immigration Service upon arrival, can in principle receive a total of 90 days to stay in Aruba. Only persons who did not receive an answer on their applications due to the mentioned technical problem will be granted this permit. Other rules will be applicable by January 2018.

Owners of a house on Aruba, a timeshare apartment or a yacht moored in Aruba (at least 14 meters long) can stay on Aruba for up to 180 days according to the current policy. This policy remains unchanged.

http://www.overheid.aw/news/news_380...icy_32536.html

Thank you both!
    Aquaman, I take it you had to visit with DIMAS in person, this was not something that you did prior to arrival?
    I'm confident the approval won't be an issue, just hope it's not too much of a pain! Still waiting to hear back from my email to DIMAS, I tried calling but no answer. Perhaps we can relate DIMAS to our experience at the DMV here in the states...we'll at least Connecticut (a zoo!)

Also-reguarding health care, did you have to purchase a separate form of (travel) insurance being abroad or did they want to know if you have healthcare in the states?

Thank you both!
    Aquaman, I take it you had to visit with DIMAS in person, this was not something that you did prior to arrival?
    I'm confident the approval won't be an issue, just hope it's not too much of a pain! Still waiting to hear back from my email to DIMAS, I tried calling but no answer. Perhaps we can relate DIMAS to our experience at the DMV here in the states...we'll at least Connecticut (a zoo!)

Also-reguarding health care, did you have to purchase a separate form of (travel) insurance being abroad or did they want to know if you have healthcare in the states?
    ok ...let me answer the easy one. Travel/Health insurance. They want you to have coverage that will be available to the hospital or other medical facility/doctor at time of treatment. Most government plans are not comprehensive. If you needed to be medicated or needed certain treatments they may not be covered in those plans. DIMAS were looking mor for coverage through a private insurer. Maybe a credit card etc. in my mind this was the big factor in deciding to grant an extension.

Yes. I physically went to DIMAS. Trust me it is an adventure. Be prepared to line up and stand in a huge queue waiting outside at opening time. It was impossible to schedule an appointment due to system failure. They do have an online appointment scheduling system. Check it out. Expect the appointment to happen in weeks versus days so be prepared. IF YOU DO THIS MAKE SURE TO PRINT OUT THE APPOINTMENT. The security folks at the door will ask and guide you to the correct person.

In all my time here here I have never had a phone call to DIMAS answered.

Hope this helps. Be aware that the agents at the airport can grant the extension on your arrival. Just make sure you have proof of insurance, your return flight info, proof of where you are staying. My sister in law did this and had no issue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast