Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: US phones in roaming full time. Viable?

US phones in roaming full time. Viable?

Hi everyone.

Visited the post about SETAR here and then their site and cleared up questions about coverage and what not. Great.

My question is about roaming: how expensive would it be to have a US mobile phone full on in Aruba, including data? Anyone doing that?

According to the post above there are special agreements for roaming for US phones.

Tks in advance.
    Baluba.

Aruba since 1979
    you should check with your USA cell provider.

including data, my guess would be quite costly.

my verizon iphone is staying home in august and we'll use our basic aruba nokia pay as you go cell phone and laptop and skype.

is your cell phone UNLOCKED?
    can you just put a SIM card in it once you get to aruba?
    blackberry or setar

click above link.....maybe it applies to you?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-10-2011 at 11:01 PM.

I use my blackberry when in aruba and have verizon...but I put the international data package on the day before I leave which is 65.00 and then turn it off when I get back...this allows me to send and receive mail without using my actual phone.....used it occasionally to txt....wow...txt messages from usa are cheap, but to send one to us is expensive.....I would do what andrea said and rent a phone when you get to aruba, take a laptop and talk on skpe to folks at home....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Check with you cell phone provider regarding rates - every provider and plan is different.

I turn my data roaming off the minute I'm seated on the plane and ready to head to Aruba. It can be VERY COSTLY! I can still use my phone for calls and text messages as needed while in Aruba. I have a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy) and use T-Mobile - my Int'l plan is free but the charges are higher. Calls to/from my phone are $1.49/minute. Text messages both to/from the U.S. are 35 cents per message so that's usually the way to go for me. For email, the resort we stay at (Amsterdam Manor) offers free Wifi in the rooms so we bring along our Netbook and just always have it "on" for email and internet.

If you plan on using your phone alot, I would just rent one while in Aruba - much cheaper!
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Renting is much cheaper. It allows you to have the leisure of communicating and knowing what it is costing you up front. Roaming is a great feature (for the carriers) and lulls you into not thinking about the costs at the end.
    be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

I would say don' t use roamming. I only receive a few texts with t-mobile and end up paying more than 50$ each time.
    Data, don't even think about it, specially if you use BB.
    BTW, AT&T roamming is even more expensive than t-mobile

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Here's what I think I will try...

First I will get a Google Voice number: free calls to/from the US from within the US.

Then, I will use a VPN when I get to Aruba to connect to a gateway in the US i.e. my IP would look like to Google Voice's servers as if I was connected in the US, which then enables free calling and receiving of phone calls.

So if people call me in the US number the computer automatically gets a call in Aruba.

I am assuming that:

1-Speed of access from Aruba to the US is fast enough
    2-My VPN provider won't throw a fit if I get connect 24x7...

Right now I am successfully using the calling part of this equation in China. I can make calls for free in the US from China and very cheap calls to the UK as well. It's a great technology, but I dont have a Google Voice number though. Will do so next week when we hit the US of A.

Anyway, thanks everyone...will post news here if my experiment succeeds.

True but their beaches suck!
    be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by baluba View Post

First I will get a Google Voice number: free calls to/from the US from within the US.

Then, I will use a VPN when I get to Aruba to connect to a gateway in the US i.e. my IP would look like to Google Voice's servers as if I was connected in the US, which then enables free calling and receiving of phone calls.

So if people call me in the US number the computer automatically gets a call in Aruba.

I am assuming that:

Right now I am successfully using the calling part of this equation in China. I can make calls for free in the US from China and very cheap calls to the UK as well. It's a great technology, but I dont have a Google Voice number though. Will do so next week when we hit the US of A.

be well
    charles

baluba,
    this is all in fun and if you knew me you would understand what I am about to write.

Sooo let me get this straight. as long as I have a GV# and my IP is in order and my GVS ties to USA and the VPn ties in at 24X7 (hoping ma Bell is in a good mood) then I can make cheap calls but ALAS I don't have a GVS.

Explanation please: - "I can make calls for free in the US from China." HOw can you make calls in America from China at a good rate? where are you physically when this is going on?

Like I said, I do this with a sense of humor.

On the serious side. You sound like a smart person, Make very sure that technology is a slave to you and not otherwise.

be well new friend
    be well

charles

Quote Originally Posted by baluba View Post

I am assuming that:

be well
    charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast