Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Vacation Shaming? "You going away again??!!!"

Aruba since 1979

Wink Vacation Shaming? "You going away again??!!!"

I can think of more than one occasion where my boss would say "You're going away again!" Of course, she traveled way more than I ever did! MY feeling was, don't give me 6 weeks vacation and not expect me to use it!!

I have been shamed more than once, and its actually uncomfortable for me. My typical response is we work hard so we can vacation in Aruba, that is how we spend our extra money. I also don't understand the idea of not using your vacation time, I take every day that I am entitled to. My wife will have 5 weeks next year plus 2 personal days and there is zero chance she leaves any days on the table either, lol.

Boss: "Don't you think you could've called in while you were down there?"
    Me: "You wouldn't have heard me over the blender so why bother?"

And then I left his office.

Ugh, thus is one of my pet peeves! When we are getting ready for any trip I always make sure my coworkers are informed in advance in case they have things they need before I leave. In return I get a chorus of "you're so lucky" and "must be nice". Yes it is nice and no I'm not lucky, I work hard and budget my money. Most of my coworkers have small children and are always taking off for kid related reasons, sickness, school functions, etc, so they don't have as many free days as I do. Jon and I both earn between 4-5 weeks a year. His is use or lose while mine can partially roll over. He's not leaving any on the table and if he's off I want to be too.
    Funny thing, the same people who have simething to say when we take a trip are now the ones asking when we are going next.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

People actually laugh, because we keep going to Aruba, but we love it. We had 3 boys in competitive sports, so actually never had a holiday on our own until 25 years married. I hate the "must be nice" comments. We work hard and save. My father-in-law had a spinal cord injury riding his bike 17 years ago. My mother-in-law tells us to go every chance we get. We are in our 50's and in good health, so now is the time for sure. My son and daughter-in-law came this year too. It was very special. I feel so renewed after I come back. I have made new friends in Aruba and on the forums. Can't say enough good about it. People should never feel guilty for living their lives, the way they choose.

I don't travel often, but even with our once a year trip to Aruba I get comments. I try my best not to let it bother me. We work hard, we are stressed beyond stressed most of the time. We (all 5 of us) need that annual trip away from it all to focus on us and only us. Very important to me and I am willing to deal with the stress throughout the year to have that 2 weeks of blissful togetherness. Even dealing with the football coach who tells me every year that "as he gets older the coaches will not allow a 2 week vacation during preseason practices" Yeah, we'll see about that....
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    i have begun giving those that question my vacation practices "the stare".

also, i immediately turn it around onto them and say "really, why would you say that?"

sometimes, if we have a trip planned, i say nothing as it is none of their business.
    it gets annoying. but when folks make a comment that is unappreciated or rude, my silence and the stare seem to fit the situation just fine.

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Boss: "Don't you think you could've called in while you were down there?"
    Me: "You wouldn't have heard me over the blender so why bother?"

And then I left his office.
    Love the blender reference. Going to have to remember it next time I'm asked why I'm out of touch.

We travel alot every year and anyone who know us knows this. The comments I usually get are positive ones from co-workers, friends, and family who like to hear about any new destinations they might be interested in. The general attitude is that life is short so enjoy!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast