Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
    Aruba since 1979

Valero refinery to become storage facility??

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-...orage-facility

Valero Chairman and CEO Bill Klesse said Aruba's deep-water and smaller berths will give the terminal flexibility to load the biggest crude freighters. "We believe that Aruba has the assets to compete as a world-scale crude and refined products terminal," Klesse said in a statement.

Not sure that using the refinery as a storage facility is a good thing or not for Aruba. Would Valero have to dismantle the refinery and return the grounds to a condition usable for other purposes, if their equipment is not used for storage?
    When we were in St. Thomas in mid-January, the news broke about the decision to close the refinery on St. Croix and use it as storage facility. Beyond the economic impact/loss of jobs, it sparked controversy because, according to the local newspaper, the oil company's monetary responsibility for meeting EPA standards for cleaning up a defunct refinery is deferred and reduced by this new usage. Of course, St. Croix is a US Virgin Island and Aruba and Valero don't have to deal with the EPA, but the way oil companies seem to seek to maximize their profits and tend to be environmentally-unfriendly may be a global reality.

Quote Originally Posted by janscaped View Post
    Not sure that using the refinery as a storage facility is a good thing or not for Aruba. Would Valero have to dismantle the refinery and return the grounds to a condition usable for other purposes, if their equipment is not used for storage?

I doubt there will be any dismantling at this time. According to the above article:
    "...At a press conference, Prime Minister Mike Eman said he is hopeful a new buyer or partnership can be found and refinery operations can restart. He said there are "different groups still interested in the refinery" but declined to provide specifics. Aruba must find a way to offset the economic damage if the restart doesn't happen, he said. ..."
    According to this article:
    "...Valero Energy Corp said on Monday it would convert its shuttered refinery on the Caribbean island of Aruba to a refined products terminal as it continues to seek a buyer for the facility. ..."
    As you can see from the aerial, the base is already there for the storage and deep water mooring and transfer capability to go along with it.

Aruba needs to find a way to tap into the abundant local wind, wave or solar energy. Doing so would allow for lower energy prices on the island and make operating the refinery more viable financially. Plus, it's also better for the environment. Then again, any environmental gains would likely be negated by re-opening the refinery.

I thought I heard they were in negotiations with one of the major companies for re-opening the refinery...like, BP .....????
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    According to this article:
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I thought I heard they were in negotiations with one of the major companies for re-opening the refinery...like, BP .....????
    The article above stated:
    "...Sources familiar with the negotiations said the approach had been made by PetroChina. It was the second time in two years the Chinese company had discussed the purchase of the plant, which is located near Venezuela, China's fourth-largest crude supplier, sources said. ..."
    From what I gathered in speaking to locals about this in July, one of the major drawbacks or fears, would be the Chinese bringing in ALL of their own Chinese workers.

The Chinese would not necessarily want to employ any Arubans. If that were the case, not much incentive for the refinery to reopen if there were no jobs for locals.

If the refinery goes to the Chinese , whilst it will be a major employer, it will only serve Chinese interests, for those who think that the Gringo refinery is bad, may I suggest you look at PDVSA in Curacao wrt its health and safety record then go down ten notches you will get to the Chinese level. They will have no standards for planetary upkeep (look at Shanghai or any other major Chinese city). It would be a sad day for Aruba and for the strategic importance of having such a facility fall into Chinese hands and to the Chinese standards. To offset that it would give employment to more Chinese and of course the employees working for the Chinese ask their counterparts in Africa how well they do.
    I wish the Premier all the best in try to resolve the conundrum personally I would look for the storage terminal run by a reputable nation/company

Aruba since 1979
    http://arubaherald.com/local/3419-ar...positions.html

this article talks of 400 Valero employees being laid off... if the refinery is indeed turned into a storage facility.

Valero closing is being blamed for higher crime in aruba