Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    I have verizon wireless and just returned from a 10 day trip. I got my voice mail and was able to receive and make calls with no problems. (and my phone is a basic CDMA )

  2. #32
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubaron View Post
    I have verizon and have not not had service in aruba for years. Your best bet is to bring a lap top with you to keep in touch with everyone back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandm View Post
    I have verizon wireless and just returned from a 10 day trip. I got my voice mail and was able to receive and make calls with no problems. (and my phone is a basic CDMA )
    Hmm...interesting situation. Does it depend upon how close you are to the towers?
    I know we had Verizon here in Geogia and dumped it in a day because there were no towers near our home and we could not receive any cell service.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    I'm not sure about the tower locations ? I mainly used mine in our 5th floor condo at Oceania, used it once at the beach to make a dinner reservation. It always had plenty of signal strength. If you have verizon,make sure you sign up for the international plan on your phone before your trip.

  4. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2

    Verizon Blackberry - Not world edition

    Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone had anymore information about Verizon capabilities in Aruba.

    More specifically, I am wondering if my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (not a world phone) will get data. I spoke with Verizon and they said definitely yes - both data and voice work in Aruba even without a world edition phone (like the 8830 or Storm).

    But I was in Aruba last year and I am pretty certain that only voice worked. And most of what I've read in this forum and on other sites says that data does not work.

    Has anyone had any recent experience with a Verizon Pearl or Curve in Aruba and was data (email, internet) available?

    Any feedback is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Gary

  5. #35
    Junior Member malbols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14
    or get a magic jack if you have your laptop with you . Roughly $20.00 a year , unlimited calls to North America .

  6. #36
    Senior Member Shnyda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The pool @ Gold Coast Aruba, Holiday Inn Casino, Arashi Beach, Sunset @ California Lighthouse, Baby Beach, Our friends hotels/timeshares when they are on the Island at the same time as us
    Age
    39
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by gstrauss13 View Post
    Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone had anymore information about Verizon capabilities in Aruba.

    More specifically, I am wondering if my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (not a world phone) will get data. I spoke with Verizon and they said definitely yes - both data and voice work in Aruba even without a world edition phone (like the 8830 or Storm).

    But I was in Aruba last year and I am pretty certain that only voice worked. And most of what I've read in this forum and on other sites says that data does not work.

    Has anyone had any recent experience with a Verizon Pearl or Curve in Aruba and was data (email, internet) available?

    Any feedback is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Gary

    According to Verizon - it will work. According to me - sometimes it will work.

    I had no problems with voice/txt communications anywhere on the Island using my curve. I did receive very weak data transmission sporadically. I did not receive ANY of my work emails (exchange server) but I did receive some gmail emails.

    It is hard to tell - don't count on it to be your sole source of conncecting to the internet.
    -Eric, Karen and Mia-
    Aruba New Years 2017-18 12/28/17 - 1/3/18 (18th Trip)


  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnyda View Post
    According to Verizon - it will work. According to me - sometimes it will work.

    I had no problems with voice/txt communications anywhere on the Island using my curve. I did receive very weak data transmission sporadically. I did not receive ANY of my work emails (exchange server) but I did receive some gmail emails.

    It is hard to tell - don't count on it to be your sole source of conncecting to the internet.
    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply...

    I just returned from Aruba and figured I would respond to my own question in case anyone needed this information in the future.

    I also own a Blackberry 8830 World Edition phone so I switched my service over to that phone for this trip. It was very interesting because this phone can work on both the CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T) networks. So I could switch between the CDMA and GSM network to see what services worked. Here's what happened:

    1. When I landed, I turned on the phone and selected the CDMA network (Verizon). I was able to get voice service but was unable to get any data. None of my emails came through and when I tried to browse the internet it said there was insufficient coverage.

    2. I switched to the GSM network and right away was able to get my email and browse the internet.

    3. I stayed at the Occidental hotel which is next to the Radisson and Hyatt. I had the same experience there. Voice and Data on the GSM network but only Voice coverage on the CDMA network.

    Needless to say, I stayed on the GSM network for most of the trip.

    One minor note, when I was in the airport getting ready to go home, I switched back to the CDMA network to make a call. I kept my phone on this network and about a half hour later I noticed one email came through. I then sent a test message to myself that went out but I never received it (until I switched back to the GSM network). So it seems like there may be some CDMA data coverage but it is very very spotty.

    Gary

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1

    Verizon Wireless in Aruba

    If you have Verizon Wireless and want to use your phone in Aruba do the following before you leave the US:

    Make sure you have international service
    press *228 to update your roaming capabilities

    I did the *228 before leaving this trip and had no problems with my BB (received emails, text, phone calls-incoming/outgoing, Facebook)

    Note: I did have to turn off the BB twice and remove battery for a few minutes as I had stopped receiving emails. Once I turned BB on, everything was fine.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    124
    Thanks for posting this. I have verizon and BB and was wondering what I needed to do!!!
    Kisha

    Aruba trip in

  10. #40
    Senior Member danadog56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    everywhere and anywhere
    Posts
    2,798
    hm....didnt have to do anything and mine worked...well, excuse me, I did have to have international calling added and then removed once home...great reception, no problems at all...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO