Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I get asked about it almost every time I go and my response is usually pretty similar to the guy in the story. Do we talk about all of the teenage girls that go missing in Vegas, NYC or LA every day? The story was the perfect storm for Aruba; island destination, pretty girl, small town and over the top mother. As another posted mentioned, her actions were highly irresponsible and the blame ultimately lies at her feet.

As for why the TV stations are still doing stories on it; they come down for a few days, film a couple interviews and spend the rest of the time enjoying themselves and then write it all off as a business expense.

Obviously the reason for the current downturn is the world economy doing its best impersonation of the titanic after the iceberg.

I think tourism is down in Aruba mainly due to the economy and not NH. NH may have had a slight long term impact but I don't think it's anything significant. The NH issue was an unfortunate one and perhaps could have been handled better but it's water under the bridge, can't change the past. Did it affect me visiting Aruba? Not in the least, that could happen anywhere in the world. I think the biggest shock is that Aruba was known, amongst other great things, to be "safe". It goes to show that nowhere is immune to crime and you just always have to practice good old common sense.

The reporter I thought did an ok job with the segment and when doing interviews, I think they just grab the first person/business they can find in my opinion. Aruba will rebound but its just going to take some time.

We used to go to Aruba three times a year and stopped. Not because of NH but because we felt it was getting too crowded and overbuilt. We'll return again one day to visit some of our favorite restaurants and visit friends

So two comments. First on the video, I believe that the economy is the cause of lower tourism numbers, not Natalie. Maybe 3 years ago, but not at this point. Every tourist destination is taking a hit, why would Aruba be any different?

We ate at Gianni's Saturday night (just got back yesterday) and really liked it. The food was very good, the service was a little slow. But hey, we were in Aruba, where did we have to rush off to?

my opinion on the video is that the guy being interviewed has to be oblivious to the world around him. We are just coming off the worst economic crisis in most of our lifetimes, the U.S. which is the main feeder of tourists to the island, is experiencing 10% unemployment (Not counting those whose unemployment has run out and still cant find jobs), and this guy attributes his business slowdown to a terrible crime that was committed 4 years ago? Give me a break. Frankly i think it was bad journalism if the TV station actually aired that video.
    As an aside, i do not in any way mean to downplay the tragic nature of what happened to this girl, just so i am not misunderstood.

And Giannis is awesome.

booked trip - friends, family strange reaction....

We booked our trip and are thrilled - can't wait. When we told our family and friends - they were not as thrilled. They started talking about a boycott and being scared for our children. Weird!!!
    I know about Natalie and I know about a beautiful family missing right here in Oklahoma....should people boycott Oklahoma? I do wish the Netherland gov. had been more helpful for Natalies parents...but hindsight is 50/50 - I bet they wish they were too. It doesn't change the fact that a beautiful girl is missing and someone needs to pay for her disappearence as does someone in Oklahoma for that family that is missing.

We are going to Aruba and will embrace their culture and hopefully share our culture with them. Our families and friends will change their minds once they hear about our wonderful trip and see our pics. Safety is always important - no matter where you travel.

Smile not over the top mother - chadd

I don't ever want to feel what NH mom felt.....I don't call her "over the top" because she did and acted as I would expect myself to act in this situation......she wanted answers. I want answers for her. Asking for a boycott of the Island was a last ditch effort to get those answers - unfortunately, it hurt alot of innocent people and families. I am sure that was not her intention but her heart was broken and we don't always think with our head when we are in such pain.

Just had to put a mom spin on NH comment. The island will recover, we just booked our first trip to Aruba and NH crime did not even enter my mind when picking a destination. Others will do the same and Aruba will see an increase in visitors - so book your vacation now.

I think that the Natalie situation will always be in everyones mind.I live in New Jersey and there are(unfortunately) murders and other serious crimes committed here daily ,but "the jersey shore" is considered by many to be a prime hotspot for summer vacation.Are there crimes,etc committed here,Sure,but people still come every year.

Nothing new.....
    Last edited by rob o; 03-03-2010 at 07:46 AM.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234