Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Aruba4ever
  • 3 Post By Traceyd14
  • 2 Post By act1966

Thread: Walking on the boardwalk at night

Walking on the boardwalk at night

My husband and I enjoy walking along the boardwalk in the evenings along Palm Beach. During our last couple of trips, we have noticed some folks hanging out on the boardwalk out in front of Bugaloe every night. They seem like maybe they are drunk and they have made some comments to us and we have heard them making comments to other groups, particularly women, walking by.
    We have always felt safe in Aruba but these folks have made us a little leary, especially since we walk that area later in the evening when foot traffic is pretty light.
    This trip, we are staying at the Divi Phoenix so would have to walk through that area late in the evening heading back to the hotel.
    Has anyone else noticed this? I thought I read that there was more security along the boardwalk after a few recent incidents but didn't notice that during our trip in November.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Yes, there are a few guys we saw, too, right when you leave Bugaloe's before you hit the boardwalk. But they pretty much ignored us. This would be around 7:30. However, don't know further down.

These "business men" have been around that area for the past decade but there appears to be a few more the last couple of years. I too have noticed a couple of them making some inappropriate comments. That said, I think they are pretty harmless and disappear when their business goes away. They use to talk with me but they now know who I am and they are wasting their time talking with me....if you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by roak4ever View Post
    My husband and I enjoy walking along the boardwalk in the evenings along Palm Beach. During our last couple of trips, we have noticed some folks hanging out on the boardwalk out in front of Bugaloe every night. They seem like maybe they are drunk and they have made some comments to us and we have heard them making comments to other groups, particularly women, walking by.
    We have always felt safe in Aruba but these folks have made us a little leary, especially since we walk that area later in the evening when foot traffic is pretty light.
    This trip, we are staying at the Divi Phoenix so would have to walk through that area late in the evening heading back to the hotel.
    Has anyone else noticed this? I thought I read that there was more security along the boardwalk after a few recent incidents but didn't notice that during our trip in November.

As a general rule, just don't make eye contact and you won't have any interaction at all. If you don't feel safe in an area, take a taxi even if it is close. honestly, we decided Divi Phoenix is not for us because of the location and not wanting to walk back at night because there are a few dark spots and it's not very populated. It's a personal choice that I would make anywhere in the world. From Bugaloe that alley to walk to the main street is dark. We prefer to walk through the Hilton property when leaving there.

I agree with Tracey: there aren't too many boardwalks I'd walk, anywhere in the world, late at night.