Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We can STAY LONGER

European Dutch citizens may stay longer
    16 Nov, 2009, 07:04 (GMT -04:00)

Email dit artikel
    Print dit artikel
    ORANJESTAD — Tourists, amongst which, European Dutch citizens, are allowed to stay longer on Aruba. The new cabinet had decided to reverse the Foreigners’ Admission Decision, which had become effective per August 1st, and had caused substantial unrest, especially amongst the Dutch citizens. This implies that the maximum stay of 180 days will be calculated per calendar year again, and not over the last twelve months.

The latter had led to European Dutch citizens being sent back by the Immigration Department during the past months. It regarded, amongst others, pensioners that have had a second house on Aruba for decades. There had also been unrest amongst the American community as the new regulation had also applied to them. Minister of Justice and Education, Arthur Dowers, had announced this morning that the stricter regulation would be reversed. This also implies that Kingdom citizens and residents of other EU-countries as well as Americans can stay longer than six months during one year (thus the last twelve months)
    This newspaper had reported on the stricter admission of amongst others European Dutch citizens for the first time in September. The government, in particular admission organization Dimas, had implemented the stricter regulations without informing citizens or the tourists. Moreover, there was a lack of clarity on the implementation and officials of Dimas, Arubahuis and the Immigration Department had given contradictive information. The Dutch politicians had also intervened with the stricter regulations. The Dutch State Secretary Ank Bijleveld-Schouten (Kingdom Relations, CDA) had answered Chamber-questions of the PVV that Aruba had not changed the regulation, but only implemented such better since the Immigration Department had acquired a new system, Radex, which could chart the duration of the residence.
    In first instance, the Dutch representative on Aruba (VNO) had also been surprised by the commotion of the Dutch citizens who had been sent back because of the new regulation. For that matter, Bijleveld had criticized Aruba as the island had suddenly started to stop them at the border.
    The Minister of Alien Affairs, Booshi Wever (MEP) had informed this newspaper at the beginning of October that the admission of tourists had certainly become stricter.
    “In order to express our good faith towards those Dutch citizens”, he had therefore decided on a transitional arrangement and to provide the duped visitors with a temporary permit until January 2010.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    :-)

i wonder "how long" one could stay?

what is the new government's stance on illegals?
    do they still do "illlegal roundup" periodically?
    we were at a restaurant one night and witness an "illegal" round up, or as my husband called it a snatch and grab. it was fast and no one knew what had happened, but one of the waiters explained to me.

"This also implies that Kingdom citizens and residents of other EU-countries as well as Americans can stay longer than six months during one year (thus the last twelve months)"

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    There had also been unrest amongst the American community as the new regulation had also applied to them. Minister of Justice and Education, Arthur Dowers, had announced this morning that the stricter regulation would be reversed. This also implies that Kingdom citizens and residents of other EU-countries as well as Americans can stay longer than six months during one year (thus the last twelve months)
    Free to spend more time on the beach!

Smile

This is great news!!!
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Sounds good to me.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Question 30 days or more clarification?

Sounds like a good thing for extended visits. Bear with me though as sometimes I am a bit dim so this might not apply. But a few weeks back there was mention of new regulations for entering for more than 30 days at a time. Is there any clarification on that end?

I have no idea what affect this has on the 'tourist extension'.

Basically all the article says is they reversed the decision that was made last August. So it is back to what it used to be. I think it has to do with how
    the 6 months are counted. But they still have a new system at the
    airport that monitors the amount of time you spend on the island.

Just not 100% percent sure - but the calculations are now 'jan - dec' timeframe
    verses a 'rolling' 12 months. The article says the time spent on the island
    have to be recalculated.

So change? Yes - it reversed a bad decision. But it's back what it used
    to be in August.

There was an article posted previously that they are changing the work
    permits so you don't have to leave the island after 3 years. They had
    exempted the Dutch (and I think the Americans/Canadians) from this
    because of the hotels and dutch businesses on the island.

As for illegals - haven't seen much of anything on the Amigoe on that.
    But it might be in the Papimento papers.

how will this be monitored

I have just returned from two weeks in Aruba and am wondering how diligent the monitoring of this will be. My immigration card was not taken from my passport as I left and it was stamped incorrectly (noticed after the fact) from a previous visit so as you would look at my passport I was in Aruba from May 11,2008 until November 8,2009.

Aruba since 1979
    as in most everything errors occur (my typing for example) how long were you actually in aruba?

This is great news for people that can afford to stay longer on the island. I am happy, but do not forget there is always something in the fine prints, and we are dealing with the government that can change fast. Always keep an eye open if you intend on staying longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast