Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather

Maybe delay the trip?

Hi to all!

We are supposed to arrive on Aruba this Friday.

Even though I usually do not check the weather reports because usually rain is predicted while the weather is beautiful, I did so this time to see if due to Igor there could be huge influence rain-wise.

I have checked all the weather forecasts and see 14 days of rain and thunder predicted, chance of ran 90-100 percent for every day.

As much as we look forward to Aruba, if this is true, and there being daily rain plus a high air-humidity that would not be something to look forward to.

I now wonder if we should either delay the whole trip (there would be no refund because we booked months ago) or go to some place for which at this point the weather predictions are more positive.

I really do not know what to do, nor if the predictions are correct.

I saw there are people from Aruba posting here, can you please let me know how the weather is today (and also tomorrow) since thunder and rain is predicted for today too, and it that is not correct it may not be correct for the other days either.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Brenda.
    Last edited by Brenda; 09-22-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    brenda, WELCOME to the forum.

i do not think canceling or delaying or going elsewhere would be a good choice.
    there is a tropical system (big low pressure area) that will pass north of aruba tonight.

typically in aruba there is a chance of showers someplace on island at any given day.

typically in september, that is the time of year when the tradewinds are low.

please go back and read the last few pages of this thread.

imo, ignore what the forecasts are saying and move on with your plans.

hopefully someone on island will be able to give you a reply.
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    brenda, WELCOME to the forum.

i do not think canceling or delaying or going elsewhere would be a good choice.
    there is a tropical system (big low pressure area) that will pass north of aruba tonight.

typically in aruba there is a chance of showers someplace on island at any given day.

typically in september, that is the time of year when the tradewinds are low.

please go back and read the last few pages of this thread.

imo, ignore what the forecasts are saying and move on with your plans.

hopefully someone on island will be able to give you a reply.
    andrea
    Thank you Andrea,

I called the hotel just now and they said it is clouded (for 3 days now no sun) and rainy (and very humid).

Like you they said it may change after tonight, but the 72 hour local predictions are the same as for today.

I do hope some people from Aruba will give some more detailed info about the weather today, maybe it will open up this afternoon, I realise there often is occasional rain or rainy days in September and October and that is no problem, but dark days for 2 weeks I then rather would cancel the trip.

Thank you for the wellcome!

Late yesterday afternoon all the local radio stations and news channels warned everyone about a serious approaching storm with heavy rain, wind and possible power outage. They stated the storm is very long and wide and will last 2 days. At about 8pm the storm approached the island and during the night there was some heavy rain and some street flooding but not as bad as they predicted. Today is cloudy with an overcast and light rain on and off. I arrived yesterday and the sun was out for the afternoon but speaking with friends there has been alot of rain and power outages the past week but mostly at night. If you are coming it might be a good idea to pack some bug spray and and maybe a light hooded windbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    Late yesterday afternoon all the local radio stations and news channels warned everyone about a serious approaching storm with heavy rain, wind and possible power outage. They stated the storm is very long and wide and will last 2 days. At about 8pm the storm approached the island and during the night there was some heavy rain and some street flooding but not as bad as they predicted. Today is cloudy with an overcast and light rain on and off. I arrived yesterday and the sun was out for the afternoon but speaking with friends there has been alot of rain and power outages the past week but mostly at night. If you are coming it might be a good idea to pack some bug spray and and maybe a light hooded windbreaker.
    Thank you so much Mark!
    Also thank you for reminding me to bring some bugspray if we would decide to still go, I recall now with the rain there can be lots of bugs.
    Also thank you for advising the windbreaker, I do think my husband will get a little of moody if I will bring that up tonight.

Please keep me (and others) updated about the weather if you will, I know on Aruba one moment it can be fully clouded and an hour later all is nice and shiney, I also realise predictions are hard since soon as the wind sets in things may move away real fast.

I hope you have a wonderful time even if it is clouded and rain on and off, tomorrow things could be way better, I sure hope so, please keep us informed!

thanks again,

Brenda.

The sun is out now and looks like its going to be nice for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    The sun is out now and looks like its going to be nice for a while.
    That sounds promising!

Hope you will continue to give weather updates!

Thank you so much in advance!
    Last edited by Brenda; 09-22-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Exclamation Caution...

I just heard from a friend vacationing on the island right now. Her dh "is using SPF 50, staying under the palapa, hardly in water and yesterday with only 2 hrs of sun, looks like a lobster."

Take the same precautions on overcast days as you would on cloudless days. Sunburn Overview http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...topic-overview

"...# The time of day. You are more likely to get a sunburn between 10 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon, when the sun's rays are the strongest. You might think the chance of getting a sunburn on cloudy days is less, but the sun's damaging UV light can pass through clouds.
    # Whether you are near reflective surfaces, such as water, white sand, concrete, snow, and ice. All of these reflect the sun's rays and can cause sunburns. ..."

Last night was crazy. The Aruba government issued a severe weather alert last night which caused long lines at the gas pumps. The line for the gas station by Linda's pancakes reached the street.

We had heavy rain but it was not as bad as excepted. The Noord Dam by my house seems to be full which is causing minor flooding to a few homes directly adjacent to the dam. It was lightly raining a few minutes and dark clouds are rolling in again.

At least I am doing many chores around the house which is keeping my wife happy...

Regards,

Ya I spoke too soon about the sun, It only lasted about 1/2 hour. Today was a complete wash out and alot of traffic jams on the island and a few major road jams on the island. The weather is also effecting alot of business as the tourists are staying at the hotels. Also the cruise season begun and a cruise came in today and most people stayed on the boat. Also of interest the Aruba Bank in Noord can not do any money transactions for the last day or two and due to a computer/phone problem weather related and not sure when it will be fixed.

Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast