Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Welcome to Sinterklaas!!

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    It's interesting how the customs about Sinterklaas / St. Nicholas varies in different countries around the world, sometimes it even varies within a country.

What I noticed: In the Netherlands and Aruba, Sinterklass and his assistants arrive mid/end of November by ship from Spain, they will stay until December 5 and travel back to Spain. During their stay they visit many homes and give out presents.

This is very different from most other traditions: In most other countries, St. Nicholas and his assistant will arrive on Dec 5 or Dec 6 (depending on each country) and will ONLY stay that day. Visit also homes and give out presents.

There can be different names like: Sinterklass (mainly in the Netherlands and Aruba) or Saint Nicholas or St. Nicholas. The name of his assistant can also vary.
    When I grew up in Germany, we called him "Heiliger Nikolaus" and his assistant was called "Ruprecht". They would come on December 6 with the big book where all the good and bad deeds were written in. If a child was good, it would get a little present and some treats like apples, oranges, walnuts and chocolate. If a child was bad, Ruprecht would give him a spanking with the broom he was carrying. Children would also write a letter to Saint Nicholas with their wishes what they want the "Christ Kind" to bring on Christmas.

On Christmas, it would be the "Christ Kind" who would bring the presents on Christmas Eve, December 24. ONLY then was the beautifully Christmas Tree presented! Throughout December, there is a lot of joy and anticipation when FINALLY Christmas Eve would arrive! There is NO Christmas decoration or songs or anything before December.

On December 1 starts the Christmas Spirit. Streets and shops will be decorated, Christmas Markets will be held in many bigger towns throughout December, until December 24. The first candle of the Advenz wrath will be lit on the first Sunday of December, then the second, third and when the fourth candle is lit, it will be Christmas!

Christmas cookies will be baked in December, Gluehwein is prepared and drunk, Lebkuchen is availabe, the whole Christmas Spirit is present during December, all the good smells in the air, songs will be played, children at school practice to sing Christmas Carols, there are workshops where Christmas decoration is made. It's very beautiful and a true tradition!

As the Christmas Tree is actually put up on December 24, it is kept throughout the New Year until 6 January, which is the holiday of "The Holy Three Kings". There is a tradition to it as well, differing throughout countries. But that's for another story!

Thanks CK for all that research and personal history Love it!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

"On December 1 Starts the Christmas Spirit". Wouldn't it be nice to get that tradition going here in the US? I think our local WalMart had Christmas decorations up before Halloween was over...

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Thanks CK for all that research and personal history Love it!
    My pleasure, Jacki!

I have such nice memories about Christmas time. The simple things can make it so nice, like a walk in the snow at night when the snow crystals glitter like a million diamonds and the night sky is do dark blue but because of the snow you can still see very well. Some people have their trees decorated with white lights and some light in the window. It was a simple decoration but so beautiful!

One of my favorite memories is of the Christmas Markets. All the booths being decorated in a rustic, very traditional style. The smell of Gluehwein and Lebkuchen, gebrannte Mandeln (caramelized almonds), Sauerkraut and Schupfnudeln (made out of potatoes). We went there every day after work. Sometimes there were Carol singers in the Old Castle or artists playing Christmas music. So much to see. It was just very relaxing and very enjoyable to stroll through this Christmas Market. I miss it very much.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    "On December 1 Starts the Christmas Spirit". Wouldn't it be nice to get that tradition going here in the US? I think our local WalMart had Christmas decorations up before Halloween was over...
    That is so true! Our WalMart had some Christmas decoration in the garden center in August!! I also hate it when people post on FB in September "only so-and-so many days till Christmas!" And those are the ones who take their Christmas decoration down right after Christmas because they cannot see it anymore.

I think, everything has it's time. I like to wait until the time is right and participate in anticipation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12