Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Pegmeister
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By act1966
  • 1 Post By Liz - Aruba Lover
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: what to do with a 5 hourish lay over in Aruba

what to do with a 5 hourish lay over in Aruba

I need advise from anyone that has any ideas. I am coming into Aruba at 2:30pm will have a 5 hr or so lay over until my flight to Bonaire leaves at 8:50pm that night. I do not want to stay inside the airport that entire time and eat airport food. I need to find somewhere to get some food. So my questions are:

1. Is there any restaurants within walking distance from the airport? If not and I have to take a cab is there any restaurants that serve during the day? Places that I looked at like Barefoots, etc only open at dinner. These places are near the airport. It does not have to be anything fancy just some food. A view might be nice.

2. Is there anywhere that I can store my luggage? Are there any luggage storage places, etc that you can pay to keep luggage? If not I will have to walk or take a cab with all my luggage and I have a lot. My husband and I are going to Bonaire to dive and have dive gear etc to haul around.

I really appreciate any suggestions. I need to be outside and not stuck inside that airport for that long. Well if it is my choice I want to be outside. LOL. I might just have to sit outside up against a wall and eat my beef jerkey and protein bars. LOL. Thank you for any help.

Can't answer your question about luggage storage but the West Deck is open and a quick cab ride from the airport. It's casual, at the water's edge and wallkable to downtown shops. Food is great

Aruba since 1979
    there is a small restaurant on airport's site and it gets pretty good reviews

i do not know of any luggage storage places for a few hours.

my suggestion is to take a cab to downtown, maybe the renaissance seaport marketplace.
    hang out at cafe' plaza or the dutch pancake house (sorry..with luggage in tow) arrange for the cab driver to come back a few hours later so that you can check in for your bonaire flight.

i would suggest too writing to the airport in aruba and asking about luggage storage.
    also...there is a chance that your luggage will be checked in allof the way to bonaire and you may not see it til you get to bonaire.
    that would be awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xenna View Post
    I need advise from anyone that has any ideas. I am coming into Aruba at 2:30pm will have a 5 hr or so lay over until my flight to Bonaire leaves at 8:50pm that night. I do not want to stay inside the airport that entire time and eat airport food. I need to find somewhere to get some food. So my questions are:

1. Is there any restaurants within walking distance from the airport? If not and I have to take a cab is there any restaurants that serve during the day? Places that I looked at like Barefoots, etc only open at dinner. These places are near the airport. It does not have to be anything fancy just some food. A view might be nice.

2. Is there anywhere that I can store my luggage? Are there any luggage storage places, etc that you can pay to keep luggage? If not I will have to walk or take a cab with all my luggage and I have a lot. My husband and I are going to Bonaire to dive and have dive gear etc to haul around.

I really appreciate any suggestions. I need to be outside and not stuck inside that airport for that long. Well if it is my choice I want to be outside. LOL. I might just have to sit outside up against a wall and eat my beef jerkey and protein bars. LOL. Thank you for any help.

Could you check your luggage at the airline counter of the company you're flying to Bonaire with before you head out into Oranjestad? They might be open and receiving if there are multiple flights to Bonaire - they also might be able to put you on an earlier flight if there's room. I'd definitely go to check-in before leaving the airport.

There's a place right next to Barefoot called Reflexions - it's a beach bar with cabanas, drinks and snacks and a pool built into their deck. We went there the last time we were on island and it was a lot of fun - they're open all day. Here's their website:

http://beach-aruba.com/

Keep your bathing suit with you if you can check your luggage at the airport!!

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I second Reflextions. It's only a 5 minute ride from the airport. If you can't check-in your luggage at the airport, Reflextions will store your luggage. The water is very calm on the beach and though not big, the pool is another choice to cool off. They also have showers so bring a towel. When you need to return to the airport, if they have an employee available they will drive you to the airport at no charge (a tip would be appreciated).

Thank you for input. I looked up Reflexions and that seemed like a good choice. Good advice on the luggage also and getting in contact with the airport. I am flying into Aruba on Delta then leaving on Insel Air so I will have to pick up all my luggage. Maybe Insel will be checking in when I get there.

Andrea do you know the name of the restaurant at the airport? Is it inside the airport or on the outside?
    I will also check out West Deck. Do they store luggage there like the Reflexions does? There is no way I could enjoy walking around downtown with my luggage. I would love to be able to walk around downtown. Thanks again for the advice.

West Deck probably doesn't have space for storing luggage but while we were there I did see people leaving the luggage on the wooden walkway

what to do with a 5 hourish lay over in Aruba-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what to do with a 5 hourish lay over in Aruba-image.jpg  

With a 5 hour layover, I would not take a chance and venture out far being that it might get crowded later on going thru customs etc. The restaurant at the airport is called 14bismarketplace. It's outside the airport before you go thru aruba customs. https://www.facebook.com/14bisaruba. They have casual breakfast foods, wraps, burgers, sushi etc..Then Hang out for drinks at happy island bar at gate 6.
    Last edited by ArubaAce; 06-27-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: name correction

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Love the happy island bar. But it's true, if you leave the airport, it could be crowded at customs/immigration line. I wouldn't chance it.

Aruba since 1979
    14 bis marketplace restaurant is located outside the airport

ace mentions gate 6 area "happy island bar" which is great, but if you are ging on to bonaire, you will not be leaving out of that terminal

i think reflexions beach bar is the best option of all the ones that have been thrown out here

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    With a 5 hour layover, I would not take a chance and venture out far being that it might get crowded later on going thru customs etc. The restaurant at the airport is called 14bismarketplace. It's outside the airport before you go thru aruba customs. https://www.facebook.com/14bisaruba. They have casual breakfast foods, wraps, burgers, sushi etc..Then Hang out for drinks at happy island bar at gate 6.