Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What do you do on your arrival day?

We generally arrive sometime between 12:30-1:30, grab couple bottles at duty free, pickup rental car and make a quick stop at superfoods for essentials only (beer, mixers, few snacks, bottle of bubbly for the beach and coffee for the am). By the time we arrive at Playa Linda, usually between 2-3, our room is ready and we quickly drop our luggage, hop into our suits and head to the beach. We always head right into the sea and enjoy a few beers, hanging out there until sunset (toasting with our bubbly). We then make our way over to the beach bar to catch up with old friends and very often just end up eating something quick at the bar (I think our last trip in May we forgot to eat at all! We have a tendency to over indulge on arrival day which leads to a verrrrrry lazy day on the beach for our first full day.

Loving everyone's experiences and the tips for our new area! Thank you! Keep them coming.

Usually we taxi to our hotel or timeshare and more times than not our room has not been ready. We keep a change of clothes easily accessible and head out to the closest bar, either Moomba, Pelican Pier, or Bugaloe, depending on where we have stayed. Once we have access to our room we drop our bags and head back out. At the Surf Club we have hit the lazy river the first night. At most other places it's drinks, appetizers, then the ill-advised drinking and gambling combination usually happens too. We also have to leave our house in the 3-4am timeframe so it's usually a pretty early night.

Day 2 I'm always up super early and unpack. We head to the grocery store first thing, then its all beach all day from there.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

1) Grab luggage from the carousel
    2) The Spouse goes to the Setar kiosk to set up device phone and data plans
    3) I go to Hertz and get the car
    4) I circle the airport looking for The Spouse as "meet me here" seems to never be clear enough
    5) Drive to Price Smart and meet up with our best friends, Patron and Cointreau
    6) Back roads to the house
    7) Drop The Spouse off to unpack and open the house (ie get the ice maker going)
    8) I head to Ling's to get rations for breakfast and eight thousand limes
    9) Home, blender, pool face-plant
    10) Dinner at Tierra Del Sol
    11) Bed time
    12) Rinse & Repeat

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    We usually get the car rental, hit up Ling's and then head over to our rental home to put away groceries and unpack. After that we grab some kind of takeout to eat at the beach as we watch the sunset.

This time around we picked up the rental, threw our bags in the foyer and changed into bathing suits. We were on Eagle beach eating from the food truck and splashing in the water by 3pm.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

Aruba since 1979
    Sleep does matter

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    for 12 of the first 13 years we arrived after 7pm and just went to the resort, got a drink, checked in and went to bed. Now we fly in on delta and arrive at 2:40 so we pick up our rental car. Check in. I head for the grocery store while dw unpacks. After all this, we head out for an early dinner and drinks. Then back to the room and early to bed because we had to get up at 3 am to catch our 6am flight. If we are staying at costa linda we usually just get pizza bobs and stay in. This year we are staying at divi phoenix so we will probably go to blossoms for dinner. I know, we are boring. We are not as young as we once were so sleep matters after a long day.

We usually send two people to the car rental place to pick up cars then head back to the airport to pick up everyone else & all the luggage. We stop at The Paddock for our first Balashi, our first taste of Dutch food, our first view of the water & feel of the vacation vibe. We then head to LaCabana to check in, unpack the essentials only, change into bathing suits and hit the pool/Pata Pata bar then beach - no matter what time it is!

Last year we arrived later than normal, so we had pizza & our first Balashi at Pizza Bob's at Tropicana.

This year we will arrive a few days before everyone else and are staying at the Trop for a few days so there will be no real food shopping the first few days, probably no unpacking either. I'm not sure what will happen (and I love it!)
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I feel everything can wait; the car, the groceries, the unpacking

We get off the plane and let a taxi driver take us to the hotel, we give bags to concierge, get a six pack at the hotel and plant our butts in the sand. I'm there until the sun goes down. Dinner is usually something from the beach bar because I'm not leaving the beach until I start to droop from the exhaustion of the early travel day or hubby drags me kicking and screaming (well, it's not that bad). I have become very laid back on my Aruba vacations, and have become that way after many trips to the island and learning how to "chill". I don't unpack immediately nor do we go to the store that first day (I hate grocery shopping anyhow). We arrange a car to be delivered to the hotel, as sometimes we only get a car for just a portion of our trip.

We will check in when we see there is a lull at the check in desk. I'm not one that has to unpack immediately. Sometimes it gets done right before I hit the sack, and sometimes it will get done the next morning while everyone is showering.

Buy our grey goose at duty free, Rental car from Ace Rental, On to the Occidental.

My intentions are to have a couple drinks, go to the beach, then to dinner.

That never happens, we arrive at the hotel, stop and have cocktails with
    other guests that we know or stop to say hello at all the bars.

Keep in mind we're close friends with many at the resort, personal friendships
    off the resort.

The staff are awaiting our arrival..

We usually don't make it to the beach for a couple hours, by then we're both feeling
    no pain. lol

Dinner is late around 9;30 in Royal Club.

At home we never drink alcohol, that first day always gets me..

Rental car hook up, Lings shopping, checkin ,unpack and hit the resturant at Costa linda for some real food...sunset with cocktails and then.....whatever.... So tired from the 3am wake up so just chill and feel blessed that we are home again.
    Next Aruba Trip [Countdown=7/29/16. 1 :00PM:]!

I think one of my Aruba super powers is the ability to go without sleep while there. My first day we get up at 2:30 or so. Fly from Boston and we are on the beach early. I typically won't go to bed till after 2am even on the first night...almost 24 hours up with the exception of the sleep on the plane. I am thankful we don't arrive after 7pm like you did for many years. Although, the one time I landed somewhere after 8pm we stayed up till 5am but that was Vegas and many years ago, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    For 12 of the first 13 years we arrived after 7pm and just went to the resort, got a drink, checked in and went to bed. Now we fly in on Delta and arrive at 2:40 so we pick up our rental car. Check in. I head for the grocery store while DW unpacks. After all this, we head out for an early dinner and drinks. Then back to the room and early to bed because we had to get up at 3 am to catch our 6am flight. If we are staying at Costa Linda we usually just get Pizza Bobs and stay in. This year we are staying at Divi Phoenix so we will probably go to Blossoms for dinner. I know, we are boring. We are not as young as we once were so sleep matters after a long day.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast