Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: What do you like about Downtown?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ck seems to love doing research and sharing the results.
    Yes, in addition, I like doing research.

We love getting away from the main tourist area downtown (been there, done that) and walk inland for local shops and cafes. Our favorite for lunch or breakfast is De Suikertuin (also great for a good cup of coffee or glass of wine in the afternoon.) Also like La Fama (local bakery but they also serve pastechi and sandwiches for lunch - very casual place.) At night, in addition to the usuals for dinner (West Deck, Yemanja, Que Pasa), we love going to Cafe Chaos on their acoustic night for good music. We still miss Garufa - they always had great music.

We've ridden the trolley a couple of times. Fun, but once the novelty wore off, we found it was quicker to walk. LOL!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

CK1
    I just discovered this lovely video, some of the things shown is familiar, some is new to me:

http://www.aruba.com/our-island/oranjestad

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Okay, & that video proves why I LOVE Aruba. Any place that starts off their video with "shopping" is an island after my own heart, lol....it reminded me of some stores I need to hit. better make more room in my carry on & get lots of change for the meters......

On our last visit, Cindy and I took a walk along the trolley route. It's was so nice seeing the area coming back to life.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    yes indeed!
    the revitilization of that street was well worth the effort/$/time involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    On our last visit, Cindy and I took a walk along the trolley route. It's was so nice seeing the area coming back to life.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Thanks for sharing
    hope it's ok I put up on our site

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Okay, & that video proves why I LOVE Aruba. Any place that starts off their video with "shopping" is an island after my own heart, lol....it reminded me of some stores I need to hit. better make more room in my carry on & get lots of change for the meters......

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    That is something I look forward to at my next visit to Aruba. I remember there were some shops at Main Street, but in between, some fallen apart buildings. The Tram reminds me of my childhood.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Hi everyone,

It has been quite a while since I checked in here. But I digress.

I have always enjoyed downtown Oranjestad. My very, very favourite thing is sitting in my reserved spot, mid-morning. (It's not really reserved. But I have come to think of it as my own, so to speak.). My spot is the stone bench outside Little Switzerland, facing L.G. Smith Blvd,opposite the Swatch kiosk. I sit there while Donna buzzes around the stores. It's the best spot for people-watching on a warm Aruba morning . This coming October, during the week, you'll know where to find me.

We also enjoy looking and shopping in the stores behind the Renaissance Hotel, in the square and along Main Street.

Yes, the Dutch Pancake House is a favourite of ours and now that Cuba's Cooking has moved from Wilheminastraat to the Renaissance Marketplace, we probably have a lunch there.

Anything I miss from days gone by downtown? Yes, the old disco Scaramouche. Anyone remember the large lipstick mouth logo? It was a notorious place, but that was another time; almost 35 years ago. And Bali, the old Indonesian restaurant in the harbour. But again, that belongs to another time.

Take care everyone.

Glenn
    Winnipeg, Canada

After reading all the post of the downtown I wish I am sitting there instead of here with a cup of coffee, listening to the locals and music.
    The breeze and the smell of the mariner.... brings back so many happy memories..
    Just found out from by searching work computer I have 350 non pay time off for personal leave... so tempting.. so tempting.
    Cathi

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast