Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What do you want in a room?

What do you want in a room?

What do you want in a room when you are in Aruba? Are you looking for luxury, utility, or just a bed to crash on? Do you need a kitchen or just a fridge and microwave or nothing? Do you need the best ocean view or can you live with something less? Do you spend a lot of time in your room or do you just sleep there? It seems like a lot of us are very loyal to a particular resort/hotel while others just want to be in Aruba and make do with whatever fits their budget. I'm not asking about your fantasy or "if I won the lottery" room, but what you look for every time you visit. We are lucky to own at the Marriott Surf Club and my travel for work is such that I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza locations so I get status and points with them and that dictates where we stay. What about the rest of you?

What do I NEED? Just a place to crash.

What do I WANT? I'd like a place that is comfortable where we have the room to lounge and hang out together as a family. Enough room to play a game of cards at the table. A big enough bed to all lay all over each other & watch a movie. I can't explain how much I treasure that time together.

I need a kitchen. Budget is very tight since my hubby was laid off from his corporate job a few years ago. I need to food shop and eat in a few night each week. I need a fridge for snacks and breakfast foods - the kids like to be able to lounge a bit in the mornings. I like that they can make themselves cereal or a bagel while I'm on the beach

I need an ocean view. It doesn't have to be a beautiful full on ocean view (although that would be nice). I spend more time than I'd like to admit on the the balcony in the morning waiting for my people to wake up and love to watch the the ocean. I love peeking out at the beautiful colors of during dusk. I was very worried when we bought our timeshare units and had never stayed in those rooms before and were told it was a "partial ocean view". I found that I am OK with that partial ocean view.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

BEACH FRONT HOTEL WITH A BALCONY!! I don't need luxurious accommodations, but a clean room, clean bathroom in good repair and mini fridge are basic requirements. However, a balcony is a must! It doesn't have to be ocean front, but at least some type of ocean view. I LOVE to watch the sunset. Many don't believe me, but I got snookered one year by being on the wrong side of the building to watch the sunset from our balcony. Even though you can see the sea, and you are very near the equator, the sun may be setting a degree or 2 more north or a little to the south depending on the time of year. You may not be able to see the sun depending on where it is on the horizon and whether or not your building is angled. Sounds like minute details, but I love sitting on the beach or my balcony watching the sun dip.

In Aruba, we are in the room to shower, change clothes and sleep. I prefer being right on the beach so we don't have to pack up a day's worth of food and drink to go to the beach, and our bathroom is right there. I feel as though I'm breaking the law if I'm on a beach, but not staying at the hotel and need to use their facilities. And, we can each come and go to the room if we'd like. I like to have a beach bar on property that has light snacks available.

My husband also travels for work and also stays at IHG properties for points. Therefore, we mostly stay at the Holiday Inn. We rented a Playa Linda time share last year, and that was a great fit for us as well. I'm now saving IHG points for our daughter's college graduation next May to take her as a grad gift (a nice vacay before she starts life on her own).

If you ask me the same question about a different locale, I will probably have a different set of requirements for where I stay. If I'm going someplace new, I research and research details before I book.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    What do you want in a room when you are in Aruba? Are you looking for luxury, utility, or just a bed to crash on? Do you need a kitchen or just a fridge and microwave or nothing? Do you need the best ocean view or can you live with something less? Do you spend a lot of time in your room or do you just sleep there? It seems like a lot of us are very loyal to a particular resort/hotel while others just want to be in Aruba and make do with whatever fits their budget. I'm not asking about your fantasy or "if I won the lottery" room, but what you look for every time you visit. We are lucky to own at the Marriott Surf Club and my travel for work is such that I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza locations so I get status and points with them and that dictates where we stay. What about the rest of you?
    This is true of ANY hotel room I stay in: I absolutely hate it when it's difficult to get at power outlets/charging stations. Plugging in a laptop or phone without struggling and crawling around/under furniture is a must-have now. Some hotels understand that now and have set up nicely designed workstations/desks. I know this isn't important to everybody but, man, it drives me crazy when no thought is given to that aspect and it's so easy to rectify.

If we were staying at a resort in Aruba, we'd definitely want something with a kitchen and dining area as going out every night can get a little tiring. I think we'd look for a suite in that case. It doesn't have to be "luxury" but functional and, most importantly, clean.

Separate bedroom is a must. I can not do a studio.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Needs to be clean/immaculate

King bed

minimum kitchenette ( well equipped would be awesome)

a clean and and well maintained pool and hot tub

free or inexpensive wifi

a view would be great.

Lots of outlets

Convenient location.

For me, it has to be a beach location. I always want to have an ocean view and my preference is to be able to see it from the bed. I love to wake early in the morning and see the ocean. As for luxury, sure sometimes I like to splurge and have all the fancy amenities. However, I can thoroughly enjoy a simple room in a great location just as much.

It really depends on where we're going and how long we're staying for. We ALWAYS want at least a mini-frig whether we're going for a weekend to NYC or a week in London. Mini-frig, good bathroom lighting, and easy to get to outlets, and free Wifi are all "must haves" for us when traveling anywhere. In the U.S. we usually try to book Hilton hotels (and their affiliates like Doubletree) for both work and leisure travel because of their loyalty program and our Hilton points.

In Aruba we tend to stay anywhere from 10-16 days so we really like having a small kitchen because we don't like eating out for every meal - love having breakfast on the balcony. I like our room to be close to the beach so we can come and go back to the room as we please in only a minute or two. A great view is nice but not a deal breaker. We do need our own private patio or balcony though. And of course, it has to be clean.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

We always look to stay on the beach. We prefer to stay in a hotel that has full service at this point. Our room must be close to spotless, I don't enjoy being anyplace that is not clean. We prefer to stay at a location with excellent service, and good options for food at or near the hotel are a must as well. I don't require a full kitchen when we travel as we will never use it, lol. We go on vacation to relax, have excellent service and enjoy the beach/activities and excellent meals. My brand of choice whenever possible at this point is the Ritz, although I am probably going to stay at the HI if I go alone in June. We also prefer an ocean view room with a balcony, it makes us feel like we are always on vacation even if we are just sitting on the balcony enjoying the breeze and views. I also prefer a bathroom that is nicer than I have at home. I guess in the end, I like to improve my surroundings not decrease them when I am away from home.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 05-02-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    We stay at an AI hotel (Divi) so meals included, however, we do like to have a mini-fridge for cold drinks in the middle of night or early morning. A clean room is a must, good water pressure for shower is nice. Wi-Fi-access a must. We like a bottom floor ocean view with patio, love to sit on patio early mornings before DH wakes and watch people hunt for their sun huts for the day. Always request the same room #, feet away from beach, close to pool/bars/restaurants but far enough away to be quiet. Like lots of outlets for charging all my gadgets. Have to have a iron and ironing board and enjoy a larger bathroom for all my toiletries.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast