Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What is keeping you from booking Aruba?

Aruba since 1979

What is keeping you from booking Aruba?

What is keeping you from booking Fall/Winter/Spring travel to Aruba.

My excuse(s) :
    a new grand baby is coming in late Fall, so we will be heading to New England this Fall and Christmas instead of Aruba.
    and
    our health insurance premiums went thru the roof effective Aug 1, taking about 1/3 of our monthy income.
    (when you retire early, make sure that there are health insurance benefits...we did not have that option)
    and
    now working part time to help defray the health insurance costs, prohibit a vacation plan.

I am living vicariously thru everyone that has a trip planned and is posting their "aruba stories"

It's silly but I feel guilty if we board the dog more than a few times a year. We're booked for November and have started thinking about what to plan for next year.

That stinks about the insurance. I was crabbing when our carrier changed our plan to now require referrals. On the flip side our premiums are reasonable and we were both fortunate that health insurance was part of Tom's retirement benefits.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Double post
    Last edited by CK1; 09-12-2015 at 12:21 PM.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I feel guilty leaving DH back home again with our four dogs and the horse to take care of. Hiring a dog sitter would be very difficult as they are big dogs and need to stay separate in two groups.

Besides, fall, winter and spring is quite pleasant here in Texas. There are cool days, cold days, warm days... lots of opportunity to be outside and catch up on the yard or go for walks.

But I do miss Aruba and by reading here, I "beam" myself back on the island.

Andrea, that health care premium is brutal. Wish there were caps that those insurance companies were not allowed to charge an arm and a leg!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I feel guilty leaving DH back home again with our four dogs and the horse to take care of. Hiring a dog sitter would be very difficult as they are big dogs and need to stay separate in two groups.

Besides, fall, winter and spring is quite pleasant here in Texas. There are cool days, cold days, warm days... lots of opportunity to be outside and catch up on the yard or go for walks.

But I do miss Aruba and by reading here, I "beam" myself back on the island.

Andrea, that health care premium is brutal. Wish there were caps that those insurance companies were not allowed to charge an arm and a leg!
    You can blame the health care law not the insurance companies for your premiums being higher now and it will get worse. The affordable care act is a misnomer. It is affordable for those people that cant pay for it and those people with pre-existing conditions. The rest of us pay much more because of this. Imagine how much your car insurance would cost if people were allowed to buy it to cover an accident they had last week or if you subsidized everyone with horrible driving records. Same thing.
    As for not booking Aruba, No money to spare right now.

We have our trip booked for November but we aren't sure we will be able to do a spring trip this year We are looking at a few beach options in the US for Jon's 40th next summer and its easier to get a big group to go if we do something in driving distance. It happens to fall close to the 4th of July, so we will be paying premium beach pricing. I guess he's worth it We've also been invited on a group cruise next year which has a stop in Aruba, but we didn't have the best cruise experience last time so we are up in the air on that one too. Jon says we should just plan to be on the island the day the group stops there and show them a good time.

This year we have been lucky enough to do two Aruba trips, but next year we may not. It's just a matter of priorities. do we want to make some upgrades to our house, or do we want to take an extra vacation? Don't know the answer to that one yet. Not to mention, we got a surprise $3000 dental bill last week. That'll take a nice chunk out of our emergency fund.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    i like your idea of being on island when your cruise group comes to aruba!

the dental bills are a killer. i understand!

when we moved here to this 2nd florida house we had major upgrades to do too.........the emergency fund is now pretty much depleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i like your idea of being on island when your cruise group comes to aruba!

the dental bills are a killer. i understand!

when we moved here to this 2nd florida house we had major upgrades to do too.........the emergency fund is now pretty much depleted.
    The group cruise last port is Aruba from 8am-4pm, then 2 at sea days. Not sure we could actually leave Aruba knowing we would be on the boat back home afterwards. I'd rather deal with the airport any day.

Jon has a bridge from doing something extreme and crazy...lol. it has come lose a couple times and it's just time for a replacement. We considered checking into an Aruba dentist but he wants to just get it done and over since it's front teeth.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    What is keeping you from booking Fall/Winter/Spring travel to Aruba.
    $$$$

If I had a choice though, I would go early October

Money - plain & simple! Someday, when the kids & dogs aren't so expensive, I plan to be able to book multiple trips each year
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast