Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

What is this shell?

We just got back from our vacation in Aruba and my son found a strange shell near Eagle Beach where the sand stops and the rocks begin. We love to explore that area. Normally we have noticed these shells embedded in the rock and figured they were very old. Then this trip he found one in perfect condition laying on the ground. It is about 3 inches in length and slightly curved. It looks like a giant rolly polly bug shell, if that helps you get an image. It is greyish brown with distinct lined sections that are slightly raised.

Aruba since 1979
    can you post a thumbnail of the shell?

would it look something like this?
    http://www.topseashells.com/seashell...LTEATA/TS81445

QUOTE=sbeach;235291]We just got back from our vacation in Aruba and my son found a strange shell near Eagle Beach where the sand stops and the rocks begin. We love to explore that area. Normally we have noticed these shells embedded in the rock and figured they were very old. Then this trip he found one in perfect condition laying on the ground. It is about 3 inches in length and slightly curved. It looks like a giant rolly polly bug shell, if that helps you get an image. It is greyish brown with distinct lined sections that are slightly raised.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-14-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbeach View Post
    We just got back from our vacation in Aruba and my son found a strange shell near Eagle Beach where the sand stops and the rocks begin. We love to explore that area. Normally we have noticed these shells embedded in the rock and figured they were very old. Then this trip he found one in perfect condition laying on the ground. It is about 3 inches in length and slightly curved. It looks like a giant rolly polly bug shell, if that helps you get an image. It is greyish brown with distinct lined sections that are slightly raised.
    I think I know what you mean - we too just returned from Aruba and found a shell that at first we thought was a bug! It looked almost like a roach but when turned over was smooth and shiny inside just like a sea shell.

I googled this to see what I could find and came up with images of sea roaches. We are wondering if these are shells of the sea roaches. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but will the next time we find one.

If you're successful in finding out what this is, please be sure to post. We, too, are curious!