Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Okay, so I'll make this easy.
    What DON'T you want to hear every night...
    1. Tie a Yellow Ribbon
    2. Sweet Caroline
    3. Lay Down Sally
    4. ___________

You fill in the blank.
    (If you want to call this market research, so be it. I'm hoping to put something together that will make a lot of folks happy and perhaps turn a head or two in the process.)

Thanks folks

be well, brightest of blessings

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Hey Mr. Ratt... how about a little mix up with the hair bands I cant help but say that because, Ratt like your member name is one of the best metal hair bands ever !! I love em I miss the good old days. Just a thought Oh but you gotta have the steel drum music thats for sure.

Enough with the Marley and especially "Three Little Birds" -- we're NOT in Jamaica, folks! No "Macarena" or "Electric Slide" either.

First off, Thanks Ratt, a fantastic diversion from normal posts!
    I feel I am about to make a mistake.
    I with Teresa, Ratt! I tried to keep out of this until I saw an opening.
    I have got one that I doubt anyone will even register with, how about some recent Progressive Metal.

Dream Theater's, Constant Motion, or anything else On the Systematic Chaos Album (yes, I am old enough to use that term, album)!

5/20, I will be missing their concert in Boston, I must say I will be happily in Aruba. You will be hearing it pump their music from my balcony that night in tribute instead! This is not something I would try with a three piece band!
    How about Coheed & Cambria, Mars Volta, or Symphony X!

I will take Marley any day! But, please no Jimmy Burffett! Maybe some Jimi Hendrix instead!

You guys are great!
    Last edited by pkornnh; 05-02-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    Have Fun, Pete

There's a local musician playing at the Promenade on Sundays for brunch. He's fantastic! Mix of island style modern with traditional Papiamento songs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    NancyG
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmmm.
    Now those are some intriguing ideas, Dream Theater, Coheed & Cambria, Mars Volta, etc., however, in reality I have to consider the listening audience and the likeliness that the resort won't want a band blowing the nice older folks out of their seats while they're nibbling on their buffet dinners. Should the opportunity arise to play a venue like the Roseland Ballroom (anyone know about that little gem?) maybe then, but not for the dining and after-dining set.

Hair band music? Me? Don't judge a book by it's title or cover.
    If you wish, take a moment & drop by here for a listen to a sample or two of what I like to play....http://www.heyoka-healing.com/heyoka_tunes.htm

The Electric Slide... the only time that one gets into the sound system is when I want to reminisce about Aruba and think about watching my enchanting Lady dance to it.
    (yeah... I know....)

Uh, Macarena? Not out of my guitar or sound-system.
    I've had my fill of Jimmy Buffett as well, though I do still like to listen. Yeah, enough's enough.

Mr. Marley's a standard. There's nothing you can say about that one. No, it isn't Jamaica, but it is the islands. It's the vibe, no matter which island you're on. Don't forget, the Caribbean is as multi-cultural as New York or Toronto any day. Everyone from every island populating all over the place. Hey, a new friend that works at the Tamarijn is actually from Haiti... another from Columbia. It's a wonderful Caribbean melting pot.
    So the fact is, you gotta play some reggae. Be it Bob or Peter Tosh or (shudder.... sorry folks) UB40 or The Police (not too fond of, ahem, white reggae).

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com
    Mr. Ratt

I must say that it looks like you have done your homework about my current likes. You really know what vacation folks are looking for, unlike me!
    No one in a large demographic would like to listen to what I am currently into.
    Marley, Peter Tosh (Sorry, I do see why you would include him), and even the Police are not bad suggestions for when on the island!
    Keep up the good work !
    Have Fun, Pete

Hey, this was my 8th year on the island, so I figure If I don't know what they're listening to there by now, I'll never get it.

But, as I said, methinks it may be time to mix up the musical pot a bit.

How does some blues sound to you folks?
    Not the real down and dirty type, but perhaps the Bonnie Raitt type... well played and not too aggressive....
    Gotta keep in mind the audience and the venue.

Thanks for the help everyone, and by all means, keep the suggestions (hopefully serious ones...) coming.

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 05-03-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: I had more to say...
    Mr. Ratt

Please, please, please...no Margaritaville!

I'm as big a Jimmy Buffet fan as you'll find, but Margaritaville has become such a cliche song if I never hear it again it will be too soon.

These, on the other hand, would be perfect:

The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful
    (lyrics)

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere (lyrics)

Steel drum bands for me!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast