Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndyM

Thread: What's going on with the exchange rate

What's going on with the exchange rate

Seems to be a crap shoot. At gas stations $1 is 1.75Afl. At ArubBank $1 is 1!77afl. At grocery stores 1.75. Yesterday at market 1.78. At the cruise terminal merchants were ripping off tourists with a rate of 1.8 yesterday

I asked and the official rate is 1.75

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've noticed minor fluctuations over the years. It pretty much doesn't amount to a hill of beans for most transactions.

We've run into fluctuations too. Mainly at gas stations and also price changes when using credit card or cash.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Seems to be a crap shoot. At gas stations $1 is 1.75Afl. At ArubBank $1 is 1!77afl. At grocery stores 1.75. Yesterday at market 1.78. At the cruise terminal merchants were ripping off tourists with a rate of 1.8 yesterday

I asked and the official rate is 1.75

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Wait... if you exchange 1 dollar for 1.8 AWG, isn't that better than getting 1.75 AWG? Doesn't that mean the dollar is stronger or have I had too much tea this morning? http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/...rom=USD&To=AWG

I've noticed it, but it's not significant enough for me to change anything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Wait... if you exchange 1 dollar for 1.8 AWG, isn't that better than getting 1.75 AWG? Doesn't that mean the dollar is stronger or have I had too much tea this morning? http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/...rom=USD&To=AWG
    Lit depends on which way you are converting...dollars to florins or florins to dollars. When doing my construction projects they are often outed in dollars. When I go to pay $20 or 30,000US those little fluctuations add up. Also when transferring money from our florins account to pay US amounts

As of today:
    1 US Dollar equals
    1.79 Aruban Florin.

But they keep 1.75 rate at the stores, gas stations and restaurants.

If my conversion skills are accurate, that scenario you described would be 450 difference which is significant for sure.

Usually the rate is either 1.75 or 1.77.....havent really ever seen it any other way. I pay with $$ and don't usually worry about the few minor differences in conversion, but of course I am not converting a great deal of money. Just grocery shopping is the biggest amount. I pay hotel bill in $$ and they give change in $$. Car rental at end of vacation is credit card unless they allow me to switch and pay cash, then I make sure I have exact amount so there is no problems.
    I know on a previous conversation someone mentioned that when they convert $$ to florins at grocery stores we are loosing come change but to me its not worth exchanging dollars for florins then having to change back when leaving island...but of course that is just imo.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME