Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
    the national parkland (Arakok) Eagle @ Palm Beaches

What's offshore?

We just returned from 9 glorious day in Aruba. One question---- Does anyone know what the ships that look like drilling rigs are? They appear to be moored several miles off shore, south of Orangastaad.

Aruba since 1979
    those ships are waiting for jobs to begin elsewhere.
    i have been told they pay a fee to anchor off shore Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dekoff View Post
    We just returned from 9 glorious day in Aruba. One question---- Does anyone know what the ships that look like drilling rigs are? They appear to be moored several miles off shore, south of Orangastaad.

Aruba since 1979

I always thought that those were rigs "looking" for potential oil reserves....I thought I read somewhere that Aruba was trying to find their own oil, but obviously I am in error, lol,

Yes, they're currently out of work and paying Aruba to stay at anchor in their territorial waters. They were anchored off Malmok over the summer, but moved to their current location in the Fall. In addition to paying to stay anchored there, they're also paying support vessels from Aruba to service the ships while they are idle.

I always say you can line 10 Arubans up and ask them the same question and you will get 10 different answers. This is my stories on the big rigs. I sat next to a gentleman on the plane when I came down this summer and he said he was here in Aruba to work off the boat. He said they found natural gas and that's why they are out there. It makes sense because when I came in Nov, there was only 1 up by Molmek. Then 1 month later there was 2 of them out there. 2 months later there was 3 of them and now they are moved down towards the south end of the Island. I am just going off the guy on the plane and he said he worked on the boat.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Kent, I really think you are on to something. I thought I read a story about the tankers looking for something, I assumed oil because its been so long since I "may" have read the story, but it could have been natural gas?

The more I think about it, I want to say the article was about Aruba being energy independent and finding their own resources, but I may have dreamed the whole thing up, lol. It would have been in the local paper they pass out at the hotels. Or maybe it was the wind farms? I know I read about the wind farms, and I am sticking to the its possible I read something about them searching for some natural resource in the ocean, lol.

3rd time editing
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-30-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Pacific drilling owns all 3 ships.brought many drilling platforms between 2010-2014 during oil boom.now, no contracts due to oil/gas glut.ships sitting idle.if interested pacific drilling stock 40 cents a share.

If I had extra money lying around I would start buying oil at this point...my thought is when it looks like a total disaster (like now) it could be a great time to buy....