Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By danadog56
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By __steve__

Thread: What's the story about the North Shore?

What's the story about the North Shore?

Was in Aruba a few weeks ago. Rented a 4 wheeler for a day and we went around the whole island. On the north side, what is the story with all the abandoned beach stations that are there? They're all fallen apart and scary looking. Garbage washed up all over the place in certain spots.

There's nothing built up on that side so I can't imagine it used to be a tourist attraction...but still curious as to what those beach huts/stations scattered across the north side were all about.

Any info on them? I couldn't find anything googling it.

What's the story about the North Shore?-aruba1.jpg

EDIT: Had 2 more pics, they upload but nothing shows on here except 1

We found them too, and there was actually a sign for a "bar" among some of them. We headed that way, but only had a small car and the road going was hard to travel, so we turned around. We did see two cars that kept going toward them.

many of the locals use those for whatever...long weekend away, fishing, etc....some I think I was told once you can actually rent.....
    some are never used but many are...on last trip in may one of the larger ones was being painted and the railings were being fixed
    my favorite one is the outhouse....that is just sitting there, no drainage or anything, guess that is someone's idea of a joke....

the trash is from cruise ships dumping garbage in the ocean, even though it is illegal I guess you still have to catch them in action to do anything about it...
    there are a lot of volunteers that help clean up the beaches, usually there is an announcement for when it is being done it and you can join other folks that want to help....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    many of the locals use those for whatever...long weekend away, fishing, etc....some I think I was told once you can actually rent.....
    some are never used but many are...on last trip in may one of the larger ones was being painted and the railings were being fixed
    my favorite one is the outhouse....that is just sitting there, no drainage or anything, guess that is someone's idea of a joke....

the trash is from cruise ships dumping garbage in the ocean, even though it is illegal I guess you still have to catch them in action to do anything about it...
    there are a lot of volunteers that help clean up the beaches, usually there is an announcement for when it is being done it and you can join other folks that want to help....
    The pic I posted was one of the only ones that looked in decent shape. Rest were run down and scary looking.

Ah, thanks for the garbage info. Was wondering how the heck was so much garbage floating to shore and from where.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    We found them too, and there was actually a sign for a "bar" among some of them. We headed that way, but only had a small car and the road going was hard to travel, so we turned around. We did see two cars that kept going toward them.
    yeah there were some rough spots even with a 4 wheeler, was surprised to see cars that far out.

Aruba since 1979
    Not necessarily all cruise ships dump their trash. Other private boats dump too.
    The most recent organized beach clean up was about 3 weeks ago. Over 200 individuals participated.

We thought this one was particularly interesting.

What's the story about the North Shore?-tour25.jpgWhat's the story about the North Shore?-tour26.jpg

I think the fishing huts look cool. They are not intended to be attractions, but belong to the locals for family activities, camping, fishing, and so forth. When we’re exploring the NE side of the island and having what I consider the time of my life, I also try to remember I am still a guest in another country

The trash washing ashore is very sad, especially when tourism might contribute to some of it. I once researched the label on a particular type of margarine container abundant throughout and it was from Venezuela, which was strange because of the direction of ocean current. I heard most of the trash comes from neighboring islands and SA coasts.

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum Vice!

The garbage really is a sad sight. I love checking out the little huts.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    on weekends and holidays and around holy week prior to easter..those places.........ramshackled or not are loaded with arubans celebrating and having good family fun.

there is much aruban culture that differs from ours. just yesterday at surfside beach area, in the magroves between pinchos and west deck, there were many families with home made leantoos (shade protection), grills, home made bars set up all enjoying their sunday!

you can search here in the search bar for holy week in aruba. it will give you an idea of the activities for the residents that happen then and often times on the weekends year round.

i hope your visit to aruba was enjoyable vice86