Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

why do people get mean on this forum?

My boyfriend and I live in NY and it can be tough to drive so thought it may be useful to tell people about it but instead I get told learn the language and a ton of responses about how much of an idiot I am and to learn a language that I have no need to learn being I spent 5 days there? In the US WE adapt to people not speaking the language that live here. So if you are going to take your angry mood out on an Aruba forum you need to get a life seriously and stop acting like a high school 15 year old girl.

Relax Chiily,

I have read the posts you are referring to and I only saw one that might be a "Little" insensitive - not a Ton as you have stated.

When you travel to a different country, it is common sense to "Try" to adapt to the culture. I have learned that if you at least try to speak the local language, even if you butcher the language, most people will really appreciate your attempt. Believe me, it works as I do much traveling in Europe.

The attitude that you portray also has a tremendous effect on the response that you will receive. If you come off as being an arrogant American (I am not saying that you did), what do you expect is going to happen? When we as Americans travel to foreign countries, we should at least attempt to speak their language. There is nothing hard about trying - just make an attempt.

Getting lost is part of traveling. Why get frustrated and ruin your vacation. I have found the best medieval towns and wineries in Europe by getting lost.

I cannot wait to get lost again - who knowns what hidden treasure awaits around the next corner

Regards,
    David...
    Last edited by Retagger; 02-02-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    again, as in the "driving and getting lost thread"
    let's please please play nice.

there are other forums out there that may put up with mean spiritedness, but we do not do that here.

the words to remember are respect and everyone has an opinion
    and everyone has a right to disagree or agree politely

thank you for your time
    and

happy super duper bowl sunday
    and
    super tuesday is coming

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    Relax Chiily,

I have read the posts you are referring to and I only saw one that might be a "Little" insensitive - not a Ton as you have stated.

When you travel to a different country, it is common sense to "Try" to adapt to the culture. I have learned that if you at least try to speak the local language, even if you butcher the language, most people will really appreciate your attempt. Believe me, it works as I do much traveling in Europe.

The attitude that you portray also has a tremendous effect on the response that you will receive. If you come off as being an arrogant American (I am not saying that you did), what do you expect is going to happen? When we as Americans travel to foreign countries, we should at least attempt to speak their language. There is nothing hard about trying - just make an attempt.

Getting lost is part of traveling. Why get frustrated and ruin your vacation. I have found the best medieval towns and wineries in Europe by getting lost.

I cannot wait to get lost again - who knowns what hidden treasure awaits around the next corner

Regards,
    David...
    David - Well said!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    please no one really said you were an idiot..they just said that they too have gotten lost and it's no big deal..trust me getting lost is sort of a fact of life ritual and now that you have experienced it just enjoy the fact that you got to spend time in paradise..i've been to many islands and countries and aruba is one of the easiest to get around but i too got lost but it was fun and we made the best of it and finally got to where we wanted to go..so you got lost ok we understand that and appeciate you informing people..but to say that people are mean spirited just isn't true..people are just relating their personal experiences..i mean that's what this forum is all about..so relax they weren't attacking you personally..
    scott and tricia