Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why is this stuff not posted or in the English papers? ? ? ?

Question Why is this stuff not posted or in the English papers? ? ? ?

Here is my question -
    Last Friday immigration had a raid at the Village Mall Restaurants looking for illegals. They went to Gianni's, Gusto's and Capone's Pizza. They took some people away on a bus. For whatever reason, these were the only places raided. The illegals at Senor Frogs ran out the back door and drove away before they were stopped and the illegals working the little tables in the mall were not checked at all. Appears to be selective enforcement. . .

Then, people were attacked (accosted ? ? ) on the beaches in front of the Ritz / Marriott and the Occidental and nothing is posted or in the English language papers about any of it. The person or person in front of the Ritz / Marriott went to the hospital.

The articles in the non-English paper says that the police are investigating these incidents. Appears to me to be another selective article geared away from the tourists as to what is really going on here on a somewhat weekly basis. I really think that EVERYONE should know about these "incident" and be made aware that you need to be careful and watch out for yourself while vacationing here. . . .

Just asking for the REAL ARUBA NEWS once in awhile in the paper. After all, they are called the "Aruba Daily" and "Aruba Today". . . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Here are the links to the news stories:

http://www.awe24.com/20140413/17918/...i_Ritz_Carlton

http://www.awe24.com/20140413/17917/...esun_companero
    Last edited by Tom and Stanley; 04-15-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Adding two links to news story

Tom, is this happening during the day or at night?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    yes, I would be interested to know that, too. when you say accosted, do you mean robbed, hit or what?

Aruba since 1979
    your questions might receive an answer if you wrote to the publishers or editors of those tourist newspapers that you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom and Stanley View Post
    Here is my question -
    Last Friday immigration had a raid at the Village Mall Restaurants looking for illegals. They went to Gianni's, Gusto's and Capone's Pizza. They took some people away on a bus. For whatever reason, these were the only places raided. The illegals at Senor Frogs ran out the back door and drove away before they were stopped and the illegals working the little tables in the mall were not checked at all. Appears to be selective enforcement. . .

Then, people were attacked (accosted ? ? ) on the beaches in front of the Ritz / Marriott and the Occidental and nothing is posted or in the English language papers about any of it. The person or person in front of the Ritz / Marriott went to the hospital.

The articles in the non-English paper says that the police are investigating these incidents. Appears to me to be another selective article geared away from the tourists as to what is really going on here on a somewhat weekly basis. I really think that EVERYONE should know about these "incident" and be made aware that you need to be careful and watch out for yourself while vacationing here. . . .

Just asking for the REAL ARUBA NEWS once in awhile in the paper. After all, they are called the "Aruba Daily" and "Aruba Today". . . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

I "hear" where you are coming from, but perhaps look at it from this perspective..............................

For the English language papers which cater to TOURISTS and receive advertising revenue-- their bread and butter-- from tourism related industries, it makes perfect sense that crime would not be reported.

Who bites the hand that feeds them? Anyone??

As to the selective enforcement, I doubt anyone here on a tourism forum, where 99% of the participants are not residents, would have an answer?

Who enforces your island's laws? Maybe ask your government why they are not enforcing their own laws on all businesses equally?

And not to beat a dead horse, but why would a newspaper geared towards tourists report on it? It really has nothing to do with us tourists anyway. Personally, I don't really care about Aruban illegals. Our news here in the U.S. is filled with that stuff daily.

I go to Aruba to on vacation to escape my day to day existence. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

I am not a resident of the island or a property owner. Anything which happens with your government, as I have been told here previously, is not only none of my business, but I don't have a say in it.

I agree, all of these incidences should be made public to all. I have been one to brag for years that our destination of choice, Aruba, is one that is a safe destination, with scarcely a sign of law enforcement. Perhaps we have become to comfortable with what we don't hear about.

Not to be facetious, do you really have to ask why it's not in the english language papers?
    If so, think about it like this.... first off, it will scare away all the big money that is flooding onto the island by people like you and me,
    second, we were told in no uncertain terms that we, the touristas and gringos, are looked upon as walking atm's, those were the EXACT words, and this was by a timeshare salesman trying to get more money from these two particular atms. And third, what you don't know won't hurt you.
    You're a tourist, no matter whether you live there 6 months a year or not. These are internal government and police issue which shouldn't and don't affect you, and if they do, it's probably because you may be working illegally on the island.... (just playing devil's advocate there, as any investigator or immigration official would.
    Yes you live there, but are you a resident? If not, 'tis none of your nevermind.
    Or at least that's what we were told.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Aruba since 1979
    re:your comment…….."scarcely a sign of law enforcement"

over the last number of years, police presence and police visibility has increased hugely.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    I agree, all of these incidences should be made public to all. I have been one to brag for years that our destination of choice, Aruba, is one that is a safe destination, with scarcely a sign of law enforcement. Perhaps we have become to comfortable with what we don't hear about.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I'm more concerned about the crimes against the person then the illegal immigrants. When we were there last year, there were two jewelry store robberies in less than 4 days. that's more of what concerns me, the fact that crimes (not the illegal immigrants) but crimes are not reported. we have crime here and its reported. they can't possibly think we're naļve enough to think its perfect in aruba so why not inform instead of hide it. I think too many people based on what they "don't hear" are too complacent when they get there. I know people are aware of their surroundings in say Jamaica, St. Thomas, etc, which is a good thing but it doesn't stop people from going. Its not always good to be "blissfully ignorant".

Tourism is huge revenue - makes sense to me as to why it's not reported. Tourism is not a huge industry in the US (generally speaking) and I'm sure there are TONS of crimes that are not reported and the ones that are reported on are most likely not 100% correct. Aruba is paradise in my eyes and I'm ok with not knowing every little negative thing that happens while I'm there. As with life everywhere, one has to be cautious and somewhat guarded at all times. Paradise or not, there are people who make bad decisions - Aruban, Aruba residents or tourists - doesn't really matter. Vacation vaults are helpful, using the room safe is always recommended and just be smart when you are out & about
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast