Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WI-FI Aruba Card from Setar

Dom

WI-FI Aruba Card from Setar

Has anyone used the WI-FI Aruba card from Setar? Since I only need data, I thought that I may be better off getting this rather than getting a SIM card for my iPhone. Although it may be a bit less expensive to get the SIM, the amount of data would be limited. Setar is offering 30 days use for $70 and I would not need to purchase a new SIM. I am just unsure about how good the service would be. Also, does the WI-FI card prevent me from setting up my phone as a hot-spot and using it to allow my wife to access the internet with her iPad? I am staying at the Costa Linda, and would like to use the internet around the pool and on the beach.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Has anyone used the WI-FI Aruba card from Setar? Since I only need data, I thought that I may be better off getting this rather than getting a SIM card for my iPhone. Although it may be a bit less expensive to get the SIM, the amount of data would be limited. Setar is offering 30 days use for $70 and I would not need to purchase a new SIM. I am just unsure about how good the service would be. Also, does the WI-FI card prevent me from setting up my phone as a hot-spot and using it to allow my wife to access the internet with her iPad? I am staying at the Costa Linda, and would like to use the internet around the pool and on the beach.
    You can also do phone calls over wi-fi if you have a Iphone 6 or newer and some android phones. We have called USA using our hotel wi-fi signal. So if you just have a data plan, you can also do phone calls by disabling cellular and enabling wi-fi calling..I think!!
    Last edited by aruba2099; 05-22-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    yes
    voice over ip

such as skype

Quote Originally Posted by aruba2099 View Post
    You can also do phone calls over wi-fi if you have a Iphone 6 or newer and some android phones. We have called USA using our hotel wi-fi signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes
    voice over ip

such as skype
    Yup Skype is an option, "Wi-Fi calling" is a new feature, where it is phone to phone calls using wi-fi, no need for any app to be installed on either phone.

Dom
    I do know that I can use WI-FI to make calls, but as I indicated I am not really concerned with that. I was really looking to see if the internet connection provided by WI-FI Aruba was any good. By the way, as aruba2099 indicated you do not need to install a separate app to make use of WI-FI Calling. However, you do need to do some setup on your phone. My carrier is Verizon and WI-FI Calling for Verizon is only available on phones that support HD Voice. If you have an iPhone, HD Voice is supported on iPhone 6 and later. WI-FI Calling and HD Voice must be turned on and this can be easily done in the setup options for your phone. Also, with WI-FI calling you can call the US from anywhere in the world for free, but I think that any local calls made in Aruba will be charged at the log distance rate as if they were made from the US.
    Last edited by Dom; 05-23-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    When I was just in Aruba I tried making calls with Wi-Fi calling on my I-phone. It didn't work. It was frustrating as I had Verizon "do what had to be done" to set-up the feature. I had no problem making free calls when on Wi-Fi with Facebook Messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    When I was just in Aruba I tried making calls with Wi-Fi calling on my I-phone. It didn't work. It was frustrating as I had Verizon "do what had to be done" to set-up the feature. I had no problem making free calls when on Wi-Fi with Facebook Messenger.
    Liz, Verizon is tricky. Unless something has changed from last year, you have to go into your settings ( before you leave the states) and turn on Wifi calling in Advanced features. This supposedly "registers" your device within Verizon to utilize this feature. You then, need to go into the "When Roaming" settings under the Advanced calling and select Wifi as the "preferred" method as opposed to using other networks when roaming.

Last year, I did this successfully on my Android Samsung phone but did not complete it correctly on my wifes iphone 6+. She also experienced issues.

I really want to try the Facebook calling ...we did the Facebook messaging last year and didn't even have to use whatsapp. It worked great. I cant wait to try the FB calling over wifi. We always stay at the Marriott Ocean club which had upgraded their wifi last year and it was awesome.

Hope this helps anyone for future visits!

I personally have not used this service yet. My son used it in Japan for data and I
    we will both be using in Aruba in 3 weeks.

https://www.xcomglobal.com/price

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    what i did with verizon is do that travel pass. you need to have them put it on your plan. it costs nothing unless you use it. if you use it in mexico or canada, its $5 per 24 hours and you use the phone the same way as home. if you're anywhere else it is $10 per 24 hours (from time you start it). its good for emergencies. I have comcast (xfinity). for that you do need wifi.
    I use their app but you do need wifi for that. i used it in Aruba. you need to have wifi and the you click on the little phone in the app and it costs nothing if you call the USA because its like you are calling from home. However, while in Aruba, I needed to call a restaurant and they charge you 40 cents per minute and you have to use the country code (still cheaper). but if you call the usa, you don't need a country code, its the same as if you were home. BUT, you have to have comcast as your home phone, too.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I have an iPhone SE and I tried to find "advanced settings" and do not have it on my phone. I will use my Xfinity app and if an emergency, use Verizon and get charged the $10 for 24 hours. I wouldn't use that all the time because it would then cost a fortune at $10 per 24 hours. I was told that if you do use it, you do not need to shut your phone off for those 24 hours because you would not get charged for calls home and the only data you would use is the same as if you used it home. the ten dollars you paid is the same as being home.
    but if you have comcast/xfinity home phone, then download the app. it works great. last year i used it on my ipad and now downloaded it on my iphone (we use to have a flip phone, lol. using facetime is great but you can only call other iphone customers because facetime only works from iphone or ipad to iphone or ipad. the comcast app doesn't care who you call and they also have the facetime or audio feature, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast