Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: wi fi and texting question.....lol

have your son turn off his data plan and turn on wifi before you get to the island. there are several places that have free wifi so he can check his emails or facebook there...if he has verizon txting is 10cents to receive and 50cents to send...at least that is how it was november when we went.....tell him to talk thru facebook and check when he is at the free wifi places instead of txting..........will be cheaper for you that way...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Dom
    Andrea. As Shnyda pointed out, the Verizon IPhone 4S has a SIM card, but the IPhone 4 does not. If you have the 4S, you can see the slot for the SIM on the right hand side of the phone. You simply stick the end of a paper clip into the hole, and the SIM pops out to be replaced with a new SIM. I have already contacted Verizon and they did unlock my phone.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Since he has an iphone, just tell him to download the app called "textfree". He can text for free throughout the world, providing he has wifi. I have used it in Aruba many times, and never paid a dime. If he gets the app called textfree with voice, he can still text for free, and he can buy minutes 100 for under $10, and he can talk. I don't have an iphone, but I use it with my ipad.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    if you have an i-phone with at&t you can buy an international data plan for $24.99 that allows you 50 kb of data usage..it is more than enough..this way he can go on the internet and do whatever..texting is .50 cents in and out per text..don't know if there's a plan for that..you have to be careful with the free wifi..we were just at the ren ocean suites and my sister in law was in the lobby on free wifi and somehow when i got the bill she spent over $300 in data charges..thankfully at&t is real cool and let us buy the data pkg after the fact for the $24.99..she lucked out big time..if you're going the i-phone route better safe than sorry..laptop is probably best idea since you don't need a data pkg..with the i-phone if you don't buy the int'l data pkg make sure all your data and roaming buttons are off and to be safe also keep the airplane mode on..if not if people text or call you even if you don't answer you still get popped..be careful..
    scott and tricia

I just got back from Aruba and have an Iphone 4s.. I bought a week unlimited wifi from arubawifi and its all over the island.. You can text free over wifi with anyone who has an Iphone 4s or an iphone with ios5 using iMessage

I have an IPhone 4 and had no problem last year. I turned off cellular roaming, and just used Wifi at the hotel. I had no problem texting , just that it cost me 50 cents for each text i sent and 5 cents for each received

Hi,
    I have an iphone 4s with sprint...What do you mean pop out the sim card??

do i buy another sim card?! when i get to aruba??

someone told me i can buy a network card and turn of the "g" and text??

what is the best way?!

i am flying down to aruba alone and meeting up with my parents and am really nervous to get to an airport with out a cellphone, as i have always had my phone when i travel (bc its been in the usa), so going to aruba by myself i am so nervous....why i have no idea ! i have been 5 times before , but never alone..and i know my dad will be there picking me up.. but i am one of those what if....

thanks for any input!!

Keep in mind that your iphone will still work when you land if you need it for an emergency or to reach someone. I have an AT&T iphone 4 and you cannot take out the sim card-i think only on the 4S model.

i have sprint...i was there in november and my phone did not work...i didnt have an iphone though...i will have to go to the sprint store to see about adding minutes...
    i don remeber when i had verizon by phone worked though...i wasnt sure about sprint...

I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, but I believe if you activate international calling for your trip all will work on your iphone. Good luck and enjoy the trip!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast