Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wifi and a need for vacation

Aruba since 1979

Wifi and a need for vacation

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    where? we rent from someone who has Setar, which is pretty useless. The only way I get WIFI is to purchase add'tl time on my MIO device when I go down. Setar is spotty, MIO is always available (but with your device). So where is this "free" wifi all over the island. I haven't experienced it yet but would love to so I don't have to spend on the MIO.

We use free wifi at our hotel (Amsterdam Manor) and also at many restaurants - off the top of my head I've used it at Bingo, Barney's, Salt & Pepper, Bugaloe, and Nos Clubhuis.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

We started off our vacations in Aruba by disconnecting completely, but now we make good use of WiFi, even when we had to pay for it at Playa Linda
    There is a big difference in disconnecting from work and disconnecting from your personal life. We are fortunate to not have to check in with work, but part of vacation for me is relaxing and enjoying social media, sharing photos, and knowing what my friends and family are up to. I also enjoy the peace of mind that our family can easily reach us of needed
    The key for me is moderation and limiting my check ins.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Digicel has made the move into cable and internet here in T&T, the feedback for their internet connection has been overwhelmingly positive. Hopefully they will start providing it on Aruba.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    the MIO internet is great. Connects immediately, goes fast. Setar is horrible. It shows the bars but doesn't do anything. Friends of ours who rented said they had the same problem elsewhere on the island with Setar. Even the TV goes out and comes back on. And I thought Comcast was bad, lol... They make Setar look like NASA's computers, lol.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    The home we rent (much to Maggie's dismay) hooked up their internet last year through Setar. Maybe I have just been fortunate but we've been there twice since they have gotten it and the wifi is rock solid... relatively fast speeds too! Gone are the days of me having to stand in the back corner of the yard trying to pick up a weak signal from the convenience store.

Edit: Don't have the speedtest anymore because I recently got a new phone but I think I was receiving something like 12Mbps down and 7 up. More than enough for late night Netflix
    Last edited by burghboy; 02-03-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

I am a combination. I do need to be able to check in on dog/cat/house sitters and need to be able to be reached from the office. Of course my staff would only contact me if it was absolutely necessary. I also need to enter payroll twice during my Aruba stay. I'm OK with that. I also NEED to be able to post pictures to social media to make sure everyone back home is jealous.....I mean, knows we are OK I also need to check in to this forum daily

The amount of time spent with just my kids & husband is increased exponentially while we are in Aruba and that is the best decompression (and stress inducer at the same time) so I'm totally OK with my connection habit.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    i did not see in the article where it mentioned "free"

i agree with your thoughts on setar.
    we have found them pretty inconsistent at times.

i suppose that someone on their smartphone could indeed walk the beach and stay connected using their setar or digicel or mio data.

i like to stay connected. i love being able to facetime using my iPhone to my grandson, son and daughter in law...my dog sitter and friends from under a palapa.
    i am glad to be able to use my puter or i pad as i do at home from the resort.

i do not think any of us should feel the need to explain why we connect or disconnect.
    there are some that sit and read a book under a palapa on the beach. there are others that are doing their soduku. there are others that are reading their pinterest, aruba.com, facebook, others that are taking an online course, and on and on......

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    where? we rent from someone who has Setar, which is pretty useless. The only way I get WIFI is to purchase add'tl time on my MIO device when I go down. Setar is spotty, MIO is always available (but with your device). So where is this "free" wifi all over the island. I haven't experienced it yet but would love to so I don't have to spend on the MIO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast