Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wifi and a need for vacation

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree, Andrea, using my ipad and my kindle (love that, lol). but since I'm retired, I don't worry about work but I HAVE to keep in touch to see how my babies are doing, especially since one of my cats needs medication. but I find I really didn't use the phone hardly at all that I rented, then had stolen, lol. when you're dealing with the younger generation, the best way is texting which I can do with my ipad.

Given the choice, I'd just as soon leave the device in the room and forget about it for 7 days other than to look up a few things about restaurants. Some cannot get through a thirty-second time period without futzing with e-mail, phone, Facebook, tablet, or the internet in general. Nothing is more ridiculous than seeing people lugging around and using a laptop under a palapa.

However, all of that lifestyle debate misses an important issue concerning unsecured wi-fi use in foreign countries - security. Google some articles about the free wi-fi offered in hotels, restaurants, and other places at home, or abroad. After reading about all of those issues, decide for yourself how much you want to expose the information found in your devices.

I used Setar 4G data on my smartphone in November. Purchased at the airport for $20 for 2gb over a 2 week period. It was excellent everywhere, from Baby Beach to Tierra del Sol and everywhere in between. I also have the Setar sim card for my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5. I stay at a private home, and the wifi is good in most of the house. The price is right, so no complaints. I'm not crazy about their cable TV channel lineup, but I'm not in Aruba to watch TV.
    Mindy from Kansas City
    "I've got a Caribbean soul I can barely control" ~~JB

Aruba since 1979
    hi mindy hope that you are well
    Quote Originally Posted by artdorko View Post
    I used Setar 4G data on my smartphone in November. Purchased at the airport for $20 for 2gb over a 2 week period. It was excellent everywhere, from Baby Beach to Tierra del Sol and everywhere in between. I also have the Setar sim card for my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5. I stay at a private home, and the wifi is good in most of the house. The price is right, so no complaints. I'm not crazy about their cable TV channel lineup, but I'm not in Aruba to watch TV.

I turn my data off when we get to Charlotte, and leave it off till we get back to Charlotte. I use the hotel wifi to WhatsApp folks at home to check in...if you aren't sure what that is, its an internet based messaging/phone system that doesn't use your minutes to make calls or txt. I don't call home unless I get a txt telling me something really important needs my attention.
    Vacations are vacations....no phone, no internet, no txts......I feel no guilt at all....but, it drives everyone else I am with crazy.......they walk around to hotel with their phones connected to wifi and doing the same things they do at home...do not understand, we are on a beautiful island and it takes me half the morning to get folks up off their phones and out onto the beach.......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    you gotta just walk away from them and get to your spot on the beach with or without them
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I turn my data off when we get to Charlotte, and leave it off till we get back to Charlotte. I use the hotel wifi to WhatsApp folks at home to check in...if you aren't sure what that is, its an internet based messaging/phone system that doesn't use your minutes to make calls or txt. I don't call home unless I get a txt telling me something really important needs my attention.
    Vacations are vacations....no phone, no internet, no txts......I feel no guilt at all....but, it drives everyone else I am with crazy.......they walk around to hotel with their phones connected to wifi and doing the same things they do at home...do not understand, we are on a beautiful island and it takes me half the morning to get folks up off their phones and out onto the beach.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12