Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WiFi question

No I am referring to the kindle 3g for free not the 75 cents per minute cruise ship satellite service

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere, while on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers. Check 3G coverage area [Aruba offers "EDGE/GPRS coverage (lower speed)"]

When you see and read "3g" think of 3G like on a cell phone.

Gaby,
    What Arubalisa asked is significant.
    So, I'll reiterate: "What specific Kindle device do you have?"

If you have either:
    --| Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wi-Fi
    --| Kindle Paperwhite 3G (3g + WiFi)

Then -
    You do not have to join a WiFi hotspot to obtain books or browse the web.
    While in Aruba open the Menu and turn "Wireless" on.
    The Kindle will "wake up" its wireless and connect to "3G" (you will see this at the top).
    Amazon uses ATT's global network / partners to connect.
    This costs you nothing.
    The "connection" is to Amazon's "whispernet".
    From the "Menu" select "Shop in KIndle Store".
    Browse, search, find the book(s), select what to buy.
    If you have enabled "1-Click" ordering under your Amazon account you'll be able to "Buy".
    The book is stored in your account's book library AND lands on your Kindle (rather quickly - blink, blink and the book is there).

About web browsing.
    Both Kindles mention above come with an "experimental" browser.
    Use of this browser via the 3G/Whispernet is free.
    From the Kindle's Menu select "Experimental".
    On page 1 of "Experimental" you will observe "Web Browser". Move down to select this and press the square to launch.
    Suggestion - - Use Screen Rotation to select a landscape presentation on the Kindle.
    Play with it to get used to the browser.
    Anyway, I have made use of this browser while in Aruba.
    Yes, it takes patience, it can be slow (4 by 4 breathing may be required).
    It is functional. Check email, post to forums.

Note: Avoid the Social Media sites (I know a big 8^( for many.
    While you can configure the Kindle to use Twitter and FaceBook there'll be problems if the first time used is out of country.
    Why? The servers recognize the use of a different device and that the device is not in the "home country".
    So, before you can get in the server provides a CAPTCHA stop.
    The Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wi-Fi device's experimental browser cannot correctly process this.
    I've never bothered to establish how to avoid this as my wife and I always travel with our laptops and use the resort wifi.

If your Kindle is not "3G" then you must join a WiFi hotspot for any "connectivity".
    Some places do provide free WiFi hotspot connectivity. You could use one of these.

In closing, what with the airlines baggage policies you can/will hit the 50 pounds very fast if you bring paperbacks.
    The was the major reason my wife and I purchased our Kindle 3G Keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by daka630 View Post
    The was the major reason my wife and I purchased our Kindle 3G Keyboards.
    Us too My husband especially is good for a 300+ page book every other day and it was really taking up weight

The wife and I each used our Kindle Fires last trip. The wireless at the Surf Club was fine for email and web browsing. We didn't use them off site except for reading, but we had a good signal around the property in most areas.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thanks so much, I actually copied daka's instructions. I don't worry about hitting the 50lb restriction. I go for two weeks with a carry on and and never ever had an issue with weight. I bring like 5 or 6 paperbacks, together weighing practically nothing.

I was just inquiring prior to investing in a kindle since I'm only going to use it for travel so if I have to pay for this and that, its not worth it to me. I wouldn't use it home to read because I see no reason to pay for books when I can go to my library and get them for free. I read way way too fast. I'd be broke if I had to buy books, lol.

but I did copy all the instructions so if i do decide to get one, i can check it. Thanks everyone for all your help.....

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    staying at casa del mar march 2-23. I only use my ipod every couple of days to check/send email. when at playa linda I just hook up with free wifi at carlito's or the beach bar. Are ther any hotspots at or near cdm? (alhambra, little caesars, manchebo?

Aruba since 1979
    http://setar.aw/internet/wi-fi/wi-fi-hotspots.html

here is setar's hotspot link

just because a place is a hotspot, does not mean it is free

QUOTE=paulmorin;239482]staying at casa del mar march 2-23. I only use my ipod every couple of days to check/send email. when at playa linda I just hook up with free wifi at carlito's or the beach bar. Are ther any hotspots at or near cdm? (alhambra, little caesars, manchebo?[/QUOTE]

I still purchase paperbacks and love to read while I am on the beach. I am just old fashion I guess but I cannot do without my smart phone LOL. I then keep in touch via email. When on the island we go to breakfast @ Amersterdam next to la cabana and we hook up and retrieve emails. There is also the bagel place in town, right across the street from Dunkin Doughnuts. They will give you there address/code while having breakfast. We go there just to check our emails---free wifi with breakfast. I like to hear from my dog sitter to know my pup is fine while I am away.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    okay, I went looking for netbooks but they get complicated. I saw this. and I'll post the link. can someone tell me if this thing is something that would work for the internet for me in aruba, and is it the type of device I can buy a wifi card for and use it or not. I wasn't sure reading it what any of the stuff means, lol. sorry I am such an idiot when it comes to this stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Zeepad-Allwinn...eywords=tablet

Aruba since 1979
    here is one of the reviews from the link that you provided.

at the end of the review i increased the size it is WIFI capable so yes, you would use a setar connection. you'd have to buy time on setar ($70 month) and you could use it at your gold coast location.

i think you should go into best buy, staples, walmart and try out some different tablet options
    you may not like a tablet especially the typing, and may indeed prefer a netbook.

------Wow, well worth the money!, December 6, 2012
    By
    Chris in Phoenix - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: 7" Zeepad 7.0 Allwinnwer A13 Boxchip Cortex A8 Android 4.0, 4GB Capacity, 512 MB RAM, Multiple Touch Capactive screen, WIFI, Camera, Skype Video Calling, Netflix Movies. (Personal Computers)
    I have several Android devices - phones and other tablets. I wanted a tablet for my daughter for Christmas; she is 8, and very tablet savvy (they use them at school, and also she uses mine). The pink case sold me on it, and the price (< $80 delivered). However, I was skeptical of the cost, and how functional it would really be.

First off, it shipped very fast by USPS. It arrived within a few days. It was pristine. Along with the tablet was a screen protector, USB cable, charger, USB type-A adapter (which I assume is to connect USB devices such as flash drives and *maybe* keyboard - I plan to test both of these later today), earbud headphones and a decent (although unnecessary) stylus. Initially, I thought the screen was scratched, and not very responsive, but there is a protective plastic cover over it. Take that off, and put the screen protector on instead and it looks and works great. The capacitive touch is very good, especially considering the price.

It has decent performance. It came right up on my office network, and worked flawlessly. Netflix streamed very smoothly. Video playback from Netflix and MP4 files I copied from my PC worked great. Audio playback was reasonable for a tablet, and sounded very good with headphones. Sound through the speaker with video and audio playback was fine (plenty loud). Skype worked fine also, as did various games I tried (Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja come installed). The Android app store came right up, and I had no problem downloading apps and music.

By default, the tablet comes in USB storage device mode, which did not work with Windows 7 x64. Not sure why. I switched the tablet to Media Device mode and was able to copy photos, music and video to it with no issues. The popup keyboard worked fine; no issues. Typing emails and texts works great; it synced right up to my Gmail account no problem.

Overall, I am very impressed. This is well worth the money. The display is nice, and very readable. The battery seems comparable to my wife's Nook Color. With a bit of tweaking, this could be a fantastic tablet for anyone. Well worth the money. In fact, I am amazed at the price. I highly recommend.

MORE INFO - NEXT DAY

Some additional info for those considering this tablet. The USB port is a micro USB, same as what you find on most Android smart phones and tablets. It uses the same cable and charger as my Motorola RAZR MAXX and my wife's DROID X2. Also, it appears to support OTG (on-the-go) USB. It will connect to a PC to transfer files (photos, documents, videos, etc.) and will also connect to a USB flash drive. Inside the box is a Type-A USB adapter cable. You connect your USB flash drive to it, then connect to the Zeepad and open the Android file manager (see photos). Also, I connected a USB keyboard this morning in the same way (via the Type-A adapter) and that worked, too. I was able to type/edit a letter, and type an email. No app was required for the keyboard, it was immediately recognized.

I have tested Netflix, Skype, video playback, music playback, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Temple Run, Pinball Deluxe, Hulu Plus, Lookout (anti-virus/malware app), Dolphin Web browser, Google Play, Gmail, and Kindle app (and store) and it all works great. No complaints. I've tested WiFi in three places, including home an office, and it was flawless and fast. The SD flash card slot is a MicroSD, not the standard SD card you find in most digital cameras. The MicroSD is very common on smart phones and tablets. The Zeepad 7 looks to support 16 GB cards with no issues.

Android System App says the OS is 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Kernel build is 3.0.8+. Internal storage shows max 1008 MB for downloaded apps + 1636 MB for app data, and photos/videos/music transferred from your PC. Max RAM is 353 MB. Everything else is tied up by the OS. Adding an 8 GB or 16 GB MicroSD card would be best for storing music, photos and videos, and off-loading some apps and app data (that support off-loading to removable flash, not all do). The battery is reported as being a LiFe battery, which is lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4). If true, that's impressive. LiFe is a high performance and capacity technology with a long cycle life (up to 2000 cycles, or 3-4 times that of lithium-ion). Such batteries are extremely safe; they will not explode or catch fire if over-charged or short-circuited. They can also be charged very rapidly, and can last 5+ years. So, if I can trust what the Android System App is telling me, I'm impressed. The display is 800 x 432, 60 Hz refresh, with a 160 dpi display density. It is very readable, and bright. I am running mine at 40% brightness. The CPU shows as being an ARM v7 running at 1008 MHz. The clock rate is variable; it will range between 60 and 1008 MHz automatically to reduce power drain - the OS does this automatically.

Some things it does not have: obviously, no mobile networking support, only WiFi. So, you need to be in a WiFi hotspot to access the Internet (which is getting easier and easier in so many public places). There is no GPS. There is no rear-facing camera for taking photos, just the front facing camera for making video calls (that seems like an oversight to me, because a 5MP phone camera would be cheap to add). There is no Bluetooth, and no way to add it. None of these things are show-stoppers in my opinion for a $70 tablet, but would be nice if tablet designers could make some of this stuff available as modular user upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    okay, I went looking for netbooks but they get complicated. I saw this. and I'll post the link. can someone tell me if this thing is something that would work for the internet for me in aruba, and is it the type of device I can buy a wifi card for and use it or not. I wasn't sure reading it what any of the stuff means, lol. sorry I am such an idiot when it comes to this stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Zeepad-Allwinn...eywords=tablet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast