Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Wildlife question.... have you seen...?

Have any of the regulars to the island ever seen a possum (opossum?) on the island? A friend has told me of a dish that his mother makes called Stew Manicou, and with the research and info I've found, it seems that manicou is a term for possum.

Now, considering it's unlikely that possum meat is brought in for the sole purpose of this dish, I have to imagine that there are a few critters on the island.

Does anyone know? Has anyone seen one?
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ratt View Post
    Have any of the regulars to the island ever seen a possum (opossum?) on the island? A friend has told me of a dish that his mother makes called Stew Manicou, and with the research and info I've found, it seems that manicou is a term for possum.

Now, considering it's unlikely that possum meat is brought in for the sole purpose of this dish, I have to imagine that there are a few critters on the island.

Does anyone know? Has anyone seen one?
    We have never seen a "possum" on the island. You might want to check the spelling on that dish to be sure of whats in it. The only place I know of that cooks possum is in the cajun areas of Louisiana. The only mamals I have seen on Aruba are cats and dogs, rabbits, donkeys and goats. I know they have mice and probably rats also bats. We saw an animal on the golf course once that looked like an otter but did not get a very good look at it. possums are nocturnal animals so you would not see them in the daytime except by accident.
    We see the slow ones on the road here all the time. Never seen a roadkill possum on Aruba.

With any luck I'll be able to post an image... if not, it's a manicou/possum.
    Apparently manicou is the Trini word for possum.

I've yet to see one on the island myself, and I've spent enough time out at night, not necessarily in the clubs or on the beach. The critters seem to be all over the Caribbean, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some here. They have the most wonderful sense of survival (except possibly at night when they're crossing the road...), and they sure aren't above hitching a ride on a boat....
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 03-26-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    Mr. Ratt

According to my bud, EasyB, (some of you may know him as Bradley, the Bingo Guy at the Tamarijn) a manicou is, as he put it, "kind of like a big rat, and just wonderful when stewed." Sounds suspiciously like the possum stew I remember as a youngun in the deep south. Yeah, a manicou's a possum alright... just can't wait to try some of that Soca Stew Manicou!!!!

Yes indeedy, 4 days, 17 hours....
    Mr. Ratt