Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wind Turbines on the way!

Wind turbines are coming to Aruba. I checked out the site where foundations are currently being built. I'm not sure of the timetable, but progress is underway. Here is a direct link to the photos:

http://bentpage.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/bottoms-up/

This is good news.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Cool!

Here is an article I found relating to the windmills:

NuCapital, Incorporated is pleased to announce the financial closing of Windpark Vader Piet, N.V. in cooperation with Vestas Benelux B.V. of Denmark and Bright Capital Partners B.V. of The Netherlands. The 30 megawatt facility represents an investment of US$ 75 million with an operational date slated for January 1, 2010. The power will be purchased by Water en Energiebedrijf Aruba N.V. (“WEB Aruba”). The wind farm is capable of supplying 18% of Aruba’s average energy needs.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    i love it

wind power a usually never ending supply (i did say "usually" as there are some not so windy days on occassion)

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i love it

wind power a usually never ending supply (i did say "usually" as there are some not so windy days on occassion)

andrea

I can't believe that it took this long for it to happen. I think it is a great thing to do. They are still talking about the wind farm off of NJ's shore. I am totally for it!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgroi135 View Post
    They are still talking about the wind farm off of NJ's shore. I am totally for it!
    I bet you $5 they will not be seen off shore of Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Bay Head or Mantoloking.

Very cool! This is a great place for it.

Arubalisa,

You're right about that New Jersey thing. Except there is a fisherman's group that is pushing heavily for offshore wind because they know there are always tons of fish around the bases of the towers, just like around the legs of oil rigs. Very good habitat.

And... Teddy K doesn't want them off Cape Cod either. Can't imagine why. The wind there is better than Jersey.

Anyway...

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

I hate to be the "party pooper" but....

I have heard all about these wind turbines and listened to all the positives and negatives. I had heard people discuss them in a negative manner with regards to what they look like. Never paid too much attention. BUT THEN...

We went to Kingston, Ontario to look at a University there. Lovely small university town right on the shores of Lake Ontario. I was standing looking out towards the water and I saw these massive, big, white "things" spread out along the shore and it took me a few minutes to figure out what these monstrosities were. You guessed it, WIND TURBINES!!!! I really get it now.

Good concept but what a way to ruin a beautiful shoreline.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    dan believe it or not ted k changed his mind and is in full support of "cape wind project".

lotsof the controversy aside from the notion that it would debeautify nantucket sound......the real issue was "procedure" on licensing and how this company got the "rights".

i hope it flies.

a funny thing up here in central maine.
    there are 4 monstrous wind turbines on property owned by a dairy farm.
    central miane power is paying huge sums of rent money to the landowner.
    tthe cows ccontinue to graze and the birds stay clear.

they are monstrosities but become very part of the landscape.
    the sound they make is less than , but similar to the sound of a washing machine on a wash cycle.

it is a win wind situation.

so let's be honest.........aruba's landscape in the "rough" is not overwhelming beautiful. (IMO) it is cactus and rock.

the turbines in aruba will benefit so many and the looks of them will outweighed by the benefits.

ex: brookly bridge sagammore and bourne bridge hoover dam sears tower bridge to PEI from NB great wall of china
    All huge structures that do impede the natural landscape..........but serve a purpose

i love wind turbines

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Arubalisa,

You're right about that New Jersey thing. Except there is a fisherman's group that is pushing heavily for offshore wind because they know there are always tons of fish around the bases of the towers, just like around the legs of oil rigs. Very good habitat.

And... Teddy K doesn't want them off Cape Cod either. Can't imagine why. The wind there is better than Jersey.

Anyway...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast