Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
    Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Wire transfer warning

Not sure where to post this warning. Andrea can move it if necessary.
    We had booked the Renaissance for our last 5 nights this trip but due to construction and reports of flies on the island decided to rent another week at Costa Linda instead. Found an available week on the CL owners forum web site and negotiated an acceptable price. The owner was super nice but didn't want to do pay pal because of past problems. Didn't want to do a personal check because of time constraints and suggested a wire transfer that should take a day or 2. Turns out the owner lives in Canada. I checked with my credit union and they do them so that is what we did. Credit union sent wire transfer on the 20th. Owner never received it. Kept checking each day. Found out on the 25th that the federal government had passed a new law last year that makes international wire transfers go through a federal bank to check first and can take up to 10 days. Yesterday the credit union called me and said the wire had been returned because the bank in Canada could not locate the beneficiary. This was her bank that sent it back and it had her account number, name and address on it. We are now going back to plan A and staying at the Ren the last 5 nights. The transaction cost me $45 at the CU and her bank charged another $25 for handling and took it out of my refund. I also found out that if the money had not been returned and had not gone to the person I sent it to, I had no recourse to get my money back. I wont be doing that again.

Aruba since 1979
    i will leave it here.
    thanks for the warning.

a bit (or more) off topic

we recently sold our house in FLA. sold it on the 25th of march.
    we paid an extra $40 to have the buyer of the house direct wire to our florida credit union.
    her credit union (GTE) promised that the money be in our account and available on march 26th at noon. (it wasn't)
    we chose to do it that way because the proceeds needed to be available on march 28th for the purchase of a new home.
    well, it came down to the final minute at closing of our new house.
    we were sweating it out on the morning of the 28th, the money was eventually wired on the 27th, received and available at 9 am on the 28th and our closing was at 10 am.
    i HATE WIRE TRANSFERS.

it is too bad that paypal was not an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Not sure where to post this warning. Andrea can move it if necessary.
    We had booked the Renaissance for our last 5 nights this trip but due to construction and reports of flies on the island decided to rent another week at Costa Linda instead. Found an available week on the CL owners forum web site and negotiated an acceptable price. The owner was super nice but didn't want to do pay pal because of past problems. Didn't want to do a personal check because of time constraints and suggested a wire transfer that should take a day or 2. Turns out the owner lives in Canada. I checked with my credit union and they do them so that is what we did. Credit union sent wire transfer on the 20th. Owner never received it. Kept checking each day. Found out on the 25th that the federal government had passed a new law last year that makes international wire transfers go through a federal bank to check first and can take up to 10 days. Yesterday the credit union called me and said the wire had been returned because the bank in Canada could not locate the beneficiary. This was her bank that sent it back and it had her account number, name and address on it. We are now going back to plan A and staying at the Ren the last 5 nights. The transaction cost me $45 at the CU and her bank charged another $25 for handling and took it out of my refund. I also found out that if the money had not been returned and had not gone to the person I sent it to, I had no recourse to get my money back. I wont be doing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i will leave it here.
    thanks for the warning.

a bit (or more) off topic

we recently sold our house in FLA. sold it on the 25th of march.
    we paid an extra $40 to have the buyer of the house direct wire to our florida credit union.
    her credit union (GTE) promised that the money be in our account and available on march 26th at noon. (it wasn't)
    we chose to do it that way because the proceeds needed to be available on march 28th for the purchase of a new home.
    well, it came down to the final minute at closing of our new house.
    we were sweating it out on the morning of the 28th, the money was eventually wired on the 27th, received and available at 9 am on the 28th and our closing was at 10 am.
    i HATE WIRE TRANSFERS.

it is too bad that paypal was not an option for you.
    Pay Pal was my choice as well. I have not had a problem with it though. I know sending a check or international money order to Canada can be a very time consuming process but it gets done eventually. Several days up to a week to get a letter there and then another 7 to 10 days to process the check.

Aruba since 1979
    you will at least have a place to stay.
    paul and i love the renaissance ocean suites.
    we love the convenience....the staff...the island.
    the flies were a nuisance early morning and when there was no breeze...that was only 2x for us.
    we have been there many other times with no negative issues.
    they were doing tons of clean up in the lagoon and over at the private island...cleaning out seaweed.

enjoy the change of scenery being downtown.
    if you are renting a car, shoot me a private message.

Aruba since 1979
    sorry i am/was off topic.

the topic is wire transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    you will at least have a place to stay.
    paul and i love the renaissance ocean suites.
    we love the convenience....the staff...the island.
    the flies were a nuisance early morning and when there was no breeze...that was only 2x for us.
    we have been there many other times with no negative issues.
    they were doing tons of clean up in the lagoon and over at the private island...cleaning out seaweed.

enjoy the change of scenery being downtown.
    if you are renting a car, shoot me a private message.

certified check, fedex

Quote Originally Posted by ricky59 View Post
    certified check, fedex
    After the wire transfer snafu, I went to fedex and got a quote. $88.71 to get it there in less than 5 days. At that point I decided it was too much money with a june 5 deadline to get my paperwork for CL. Already cost me $75 I will never see again. Adding $89 more dollars would have cost me more than what I am paying at the Ren.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Bank-to-bank it not too great either. I wanted to buy a book from a lady in Spain. To transfer the money from my bank account to hers would have taken approx. six weeks and my bank would have charged a fee of $45.