Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

Quote Originally Posted by agager84@gmail.com View Post
    Yeah I saw that yesterday that put me in a really grumpy mood as going by that, I will have to cancel my honeymoon

But if we leave it til June (when we have to pay for holiday) that might make it difficult to book elsewhere at such short notice

In a sad place right now.
    Better sad than the consequences. My good friend here has now been in bed for over a month with dengue fever. Sleeping 20hrs a day. Bleeding from nose and throat. Muscles aches. Reappearing rash. Headaches and so on. No vaccine or cure. Has to work through system. He is on heavy pain killers. All this from a mosquito bite!

Aq

Please tell me Dengue fever was from a bite in Aruba.

Yeah I saw that yesterday that put me in a really grumpy mood as going by that, I will have to cancel my honeymoon

But if we leave it til June (when we have to pay for holiday) that might make it difficult to book elsewhere at such short notice

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Please tell me Dengue fever was from a bite in Aruba.
    Yes. He is captain of one of the catamarans on Palm Beach and has not been off the island for several years

The number of mosquitoes this year is a lot less due to the drought conditions we have and the Govt fogging program. We use either Off with Deet or Woodsman spray at dusk just in case. Prefer Woodsman as it is less greasy and seems more effective and has less odour

if you are staying in resort area and use precautions. ( spray at dawn and dusk) you should be fine. My post is to endorse the recommendation to exercise care and use a product that will provide protection.

Before cancelling, I would contact the resort by phone and email asking about what mosquito protection program they have in place...are they spraying? How often?

i suggest you stay away from certain inland venues such as Madame Janeetes where it is more likely to encounter mosquitos in the evening while dining outside
    Last edited by aquaman; 03-29-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach

I really feel for you. That is so sad. I guess you'll need to start thinking of alternative places soon, but as you mentioned some may be booked. Have you thought about a trip to San Francisco with a side trip to Napa? I know that it is not the same as a Caribbean island, but we did this last year and it was wonderful. If you have your heart set on a beach, there are some very nice beaches along the east coast, especially in N.C. and S.C., such as Outer Banks, NC area and Hilton Head, SC area. Charleston, SC is gorgeous, and there are beautiful beaches just a few minutes away. Georgia also has nice beaches. I heard that Zika has been found in Fla, so you probably don't want to go there. I haven't heard of Zika in Bermuda, but I could be wrong. Maybe you could still catch a cruise to Bermuda. I'm getting Bermuda cruise offers all of the time. They also have nice hotels. I know that it is disappointing, but maybe you can plan an anniversary trip to Aruba one year when this is under control. Good luck. Please let us know what you decided.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    I really feel for you. That is so sad. I guess you'll need to start thinking of alternative places soon, but as you mentioned some may be booked. Have you thought about a trip to San Francisco with a side trip to Napa? I know that it is not the same as a Caribbean island, but we did this last year and it was wonderful. If you have your heart set on a beach, there are some very nice beaches along the east coast, especially in N.C. and S.C., such as Outer Banks, NC area and Hilton Head, SC area. Charleston, SC is gorgeous, and there are beautiful beaches just a few minutes away. Georgia also has nice beaches. I heard that Zika has been found in Fla, so you probably don't want to go there. I haven't heard of Zika in Bermuda, but I could be wrong. Maybe you could still catch a cruise to Bermuda. I'm getting Bermuda cruise offers all of the time. They also have nice hotels. I know that it is disappointing, but maybe you can plan an anniversary trip to Aruba one year when this is under control. Good luck. Please let us know what you decided.
    Hi, thank you for your sympathy. We booked it about a year ago now, as it was one of the first things I was tasked to do! Not had a holiday since!

No offence, we're not really interested in San Francisco or America in general. A cruise really does not interest me in the slightest.

I can go to the Maldives or the Seychelles, but it's their rainy season in September, however cheaper, but if go in January instead the prices will be hiked up and unaffordable!

I have emailed the resort already in February and they explained they are spraying daily etc It would be handy to find out where the cases were bitten...

I don't really want to look at other holidays at the moment as you can imagine as it's quite depressing.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Hi, thank you for your sympathy. We booked it about a year ago now, as it was one of the first things I was tasked to do! Not had a holiday since!

No offence, we're not really interested in San Francisco or America in general. A cruise really does not interest me in the slightest.

No offense taken

I can go to the Maldives or the Seychelles, but it's their rainy season in September, however cheaper, but if go in January instead the prices will be hiked up and unaffordable!

I have emailed the resort already in February and they explained they are spraying daily etc It would be handy to find out where the cases were bitten...

I don't really want to look at other holidays at the moment as you can imagine as it's quite depressing.
    No offense taken! I hope that you can get everything worked out to your satisfaction. Where are you booked in Aruba? Some places seem to be more deligent in maintaining their properties, in general, than others.

Arashi Beach, Baby Beach, San Nicholas, Oranjestad, Noord.. Basically the whole dang island!
    I have to praise Aruba on the response to all of the 'skeeter viruses. They have been doing "neighborhood spraying" (they just did ours a few weeks ago) and there are PSAs on local television to remind people about standing water, etc. When we arrived in August of last year, I remember how they loved the taste of my blood... but in the last 6 months or so...really not much of anything as far as mosquitos. I'm not saying they are not around, but are WAY LESS. I have to agree that if a female is in her 1st trimester, it is best to delay to ANY Caribbean or South American destination, but after that I think that, especially here on Aruba, your chances of catching are less than other island (I've heard some are really bad).. so after the 1st trimester, I think it would be fine and your chances of contracting would be way less...
    Ed and Liz Ginocchio Golden Reef Hospitality - Your Aruba Dream Mgmt. Rental Vacation Homes
    We manage your home just like it was our own! www.myarubadreamvilla.com

Aruba since 1979
    aruba is indeed doing a great job of spraying and addressing the issues to the people of aruba and the tourists.

i am perplexed by ed/liz comment "after the first trimester, i think it would be fine"

is there something in print about after the first trimester being a-ok?

Arashi Beach, Baby Beach, San Nicholas, Oranjestad, Noord.. Basically the whole dang island!
    Hi Andrea,

Here are the guidelines for pregnancy and the Zika Virus. To date it only addresses "conception".

Here are the new guideline about Zika virus and conception from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Women who have Zika virus should wait at least eight weeks after symptom onset to attempt conception.
    Men with Zika virus should wait at least six months after symptom onset to attempt conception.
    Women and men with possible exposure to Zika virus, but without clinical illness consistent with Zika virus, should wait at least eight weeks after exposure to attempt conception.
    Possible exposure to Zika virus is defined as travel to or residence in an area of active Zika transmission, or unprotected sex with a man who traveled to or resided in an area of active transmission.

Regarding the developmental delay and encephaly.. as of right now, as per the MDs in Brazil...The most important time of development is in the 1st trimester, so exposure during this time has the greatest risk of hurting the fetus. I guess what I was thinking was that after the 1st trimester, and the low chance that here on Aruba of contracting, IF someone wanted to travel to Aruba...it would be better than travelling during the 1st trimester...

According to the CDC it looks like if you are even looking to conceive you want to stay out of the Caribbean and South America...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    aruba is indeed doing a great job of spraying and addressing the issues to the people of aruba and the tourists.

i am perplexed by ed/liz comment "after the first trimester, i think it would be fine"

is there something in print about after the first trimester being a-ok?
    Ed and Liz Ginocchio Golden Reef Hospitality - Your Aruba Dream Mgmt. Rental Vacation Homes
    We manage your home just like it was our own! www.myarubadreamvilla.com

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast