Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

Quote Originally Posted by EdandLiz View Post

Regarding the developmental delay and encephaly.. as of right now, as per the MDs in Brazil...The most important time of development is in the 1st trimester, so exposure during this time has the greatest risk of hurting the fetus. I guess what I was thinking was that after the 1st trimester, and the low chance that here on Aruba of contracting, IF someone wanted to travel to Aruba...it would be better than travelling during the 1st trimester...

According to the CDC it looks like if you are even looking to conceive you want to stay out of the Caribbean and South America...
    Here is a link to the CDC web site with FAQs about Zika and pregnancy: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html. From this link: Zika virus can be passed from a pregnant woman to her fetus during pregnancy or at delivery. {Emphasis added.}

The first trimester is the worst time, but please 2nd and third are not safe either. They are recommending that men use condoms during the whole pregnancy if the man has been to a Zika risk area. Men with exposure to Zika should use protection. It doesn't matter if you've been sick or not, because you may not know you have it. Only 1 in 5 will have symptoms. CDC recommends all pregnant women do not travel to Zika risk areas. The brain is constantly developing. Follow the guidelines posted in the web site as above.
    Last edited by susan.b; 03-29-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdandLiz View Post
    I have to praise Aruba on the response to all of the 'skeeter viruses. They have been doing "neighborhood spraying" (they just did ours a few weeks ago) and there are PSAs on local television to remind people about standing water, etc. When we arrived in August of last year, I remember how they loved the taste of my blood... but in the last 6 months or so...really not much of anything as far as mosquitos. I'm not saying they are not around, but are WAY LESS. I have to agree that if a female is in her 1st trimester, it is best to delay to ANY Caribbean or South American destination, but after that I think that, especially here on Aruba, your chances of catching are less than other island (I've heard some are really bad).. so after the 1st trimester, I think it would be fine and your chances of contracting would be way less...
    I have to completely and utterly disagree with that I'm afraid. If my wife to be was pregnant, whether it be 12 weeks, 24 weeks or even 1 week before she was due to give birth, I would not want to create any possible chance of having those mozzies have any effect on my first born child. That would be incredibly selfish of me and I wouldn't wish any of my future children to have anything but a happy and healthy life. I would not paint myself as a decent human being or a good parent.

Think you need to ask yourself if you'd take your wife/partner to an infected country when she is over 12 weeks - I expect the answer would no and if that's the case, it's best not commenting on it again.

So sorry about your honeymoon, but if you are trying to conceive, you know it's the right thing. I have posted this before, but sometimes when I am posting about Zika, I feel I must seem a real downer. I'm a nurse of 31 years who has a passion for my work and public education. I have also looked after microcephalic babies and it is a tragedy. Zika may be linked to other birth defects as well, such as abnormal brain development, hearing problems, and the list goes on. I had a child with a birth defect that was thankfully correctable, but even though I didn't do anything wrong, the guilt ate me alive. I would have done anything to prevent it. That's why irresponsible posting really bothers me, especially on other forums, where people have suggested it's a hoax or a government scare tactic. There are people who choose to believe this. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by susan.b View Post
    So sorry about your honeymoon, but if you are trying to conceive, you know it's the right thing. I have posted this before, but sometimes when I am posting about Zika, I feel I must seem a real downer. I'm a nurse of 31 years who has a passion for my work and public education. I have also looked after microcephalic babies and it is a tragedy. Zika may be linked to other birth defects as well, such as abnormal brain development, hearing problems, and the list goes on. I had a child with a birth defect that was thankfully correctable, but even though I didn't do anything wrong, the guilt ate me alive. I would have done anything to prevent it. That's why irresponsible posting really bothers me, especially on other forums, where people have suggested it's a hoax or a government scare tactic. There are people who choose to believe this. Rant over.
    Hi Susan,

We are not looking to conceive until next year. When next year is not something we have definitely confirmed. Early in the first few months has been discussed however.

My Fiancée is also a nurse.

The hotel is the Manchebo Beach Resort next to the Bucuti - I've emailed them asking about their protocols etc and they are very forthcoming with information, but the recent update from the CDC has been the killer really. They are basing the 6 months on the fact one chap had the virus in his semen for 62 days so they've done it 3 times as the precaution. But no one knows for sure.

I've emailed the CDC directly asking for updates on Aruba as the internet doesn't mentioned much about since it's been added to the list. Obviously I do not want any harm to come to my future children or anyone elses but I'm probably not going to be able to do this again until my children are older and by then I may never be able to afford it.

I researched so much into Aruba before I showed my Fiancee the hotel and the island I had found and she as well as myself were/are so looking forward to it. Just looking for some sort of positive, unless we discuss putting off conceiving until march next year which would be 6 months, if I became infected - obviously you can tell i'm pretty sad about it all.

We can actually afford the Maldives, but when you are looking at websites about Aruba and trip advisor, looking at any other holiday really is quite depressing

Before you cancel, I would speak with you health care provider or public health organization. I was under the impression that you planned to conceive right away. There are tests that can tell if you've had it. Deet is very good. I never get bit in Aruba, but my husband does. It's a funny thing. Flies seem to be a bother only in the early morning and later evening. Manchebo is gorgeous. People may want to do me in, but I might reconsider going. It's a trip of a lifetime. If I wasn't pregnant or trying to conceive, I would still go. In fact, we went in Jan/Feb this year. We have been to Aruba seven times in as many years. You're right about the internet not saying much, just that it's been confirmed. You sound like you are really researching, which is great. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Susan

Quote Originally Posted by susan.b View Post
    Before you cancel, I would speak with you health care provider or public health organization. I was under the impression that you planned to conceive right away. There are tests that can tell if you've had it. Deet is very good. I never get bit in Aruba, but my husband does. It's a funny thing. Flies seem to be a bother only in the early morning and later evening. Manchebo is gorgeous. People may want to do me in, but I might reconsider going. It's a trip of a lifetime. If I wasn't pregnant or trying to conceive, I would still go. In fact, we went in Jan/Feb this year. We have been to Aruba seven times in as many years. You're right about the internet not saying much, just that it's been confirmed. You sound like you are really researching, which is great. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Susan
    Although thinking about it, if I did get infected, there is no rule that it stays in your system 62 days or 6 months. Nothing stopping me being tested for it once a month to see if it's gone. It may only take 2 months to go away or I may not get bitten.

There are a lot of unanswered questions and confusion regarding some things the CDC have said such as women are immune after recovering - does that mean if my other half gets infected, 8 weeks later or however long it takes to go away, I can then not infect her if I've still got it? If that's the case, the 6 months will surely not apply???
    Last edited by agager84@gmail.com; 03-31-2016 at 06:47 AM.

I hope Zika loves Balashi's, Chill and Cuban Rum because there will be plenty in my system if they bite me. LOL Just came back from Puerto Rico and everything was fine. Although it was cool during the mornings 72 to 75 and breezy so less mosquitos. During the afternoon 85 to 87 and down to 79 at night with a cool breeze. I felt a pinch here and there so i sprayed on the deet.

Aruba since 1979
    we had our backyard sprayed again and the skeeters here are annoying and plentiful.
    we have a garden patio area with our hot tub.
    last few weeks, mosquitos too plentiful to be out there in the evening.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast